Can you drink soft drinks bought in duty free area on a flight?

Found 19th Feb 2016
We are flying to Portugal from Birminham via Dublin soon on Aer Lingus and I have looked everywhere to get a definitive answer on this. Obviously we can't get anything over 100ml through security, and we really want to avoid buying drinks on the plane.
The EU and UK Gov sites say that duty free 'liquids' , which are sold in a security bag, must not have the security seal broken till arrival at destination, but they don't differentiate on types of liquid and I assume that is really meant for alcohol.
I know that we could take empty bottles and fill up after security, but I would rather get sealed bottles for cleanliness.
Its all rather ambiguous really. I would just like to know if we could buy some water in (eg) WHSmiths after security and drink it on the flight?
Thanks
Community Updates
19 Comments
deleted79467
i have taken bottled water purchased airside at wh smiths and taken onto the plane at lhr terminals 3,5 and 2
Iv taken bottles of pop from wh smith onto plane isn't that what everyone does?? U hav already passed security there's no more security b4 boarding gate x
Of course you can
Yes you will be totally fine. I walked on the other week drinking a 750ml bottle of water bought from superdrug. And usually have a drink of some sort with me bought after security.

Its just alcohol they get a bit funny with
if u would also like alcohol get vodka and 100ml shampoo bottles don't take to many as they frown upon that. probably best to add them to your mixer preflight though
yeah, you can buy drinks post-security and take them on board
absolute rip-off though!
i'm sure there's a conspiracy theorist out there who reckons the duty free shops staged the whole liquid explosion threat just to make more profit on their overpriced drinks knowing that's our only choice
justanothercid

if u would also like alcohol get vodka and 100ml shampoo bottles don't … if u would also like alcohol get vodka and 100ml shampoo bottles don't take to many as they frown upon that. probably best to add them to your mixer preflight though

Vodka in a shampoo bottle? Are people that desperate?
Of course but they'll most likely be double the normal price! Boots isn't usually too bad though if there's one on the way out.

I've never known security to check if duty free is sealed either for alcohol etc on way back. So long as you're not running up and down the aisle of the plane swigging your gin like a psychopath that should be fine too, maybe!
Thanks everyone, it made sense that it is OK but just wanted some confirmed experiences from people!
Badhumour

Vodka in a shampoo bottle? Are people that desperate?

​well if u buy on plane 4 x 50ml is tenner so saves money.. that's not desperation that money saving..
My experience ask the way back in 2010 was we took fizzy drinks cans and they went through security fine at lhr we were going India and had a stopover in kuwait and they wouldn't let us take them through so my dad ended up drinking it there in the spot so as not too give them anything for free lol. so if you're changing flights you may have an issue.
deleted79467
adhkarzf

My experience ask the way back in 2010 was we took fizzy drinks cans and … My experience ask the way back in 2010 was we took fizzy drinks cans and they went through security fine at lhr we were going India and had a stopover in kuwait and they wouldn't let us take them through so my dad ended up drinking it there in the spot so as not too give them anything for free lol. so if you're changing flights you may have an issue.

-0=

thats standard practice at any connection thats why duty free liquids you take for the whole journey go in secure see through bags tamper proof bags

they dont do this to get free drinks its to stop unchecked liquids getting on the plane
Anything you buy after security can be taken on the plane
Drinks like water from wH Smiths in the airport is not duty free. The only duty free is from the duty free shop. Even shops like PC World in the airport (at Manchester at least) are not duty free as I recently found out.
mattmerch

-0=thats standard practice at any connection thats why duty free liquids … -0=thats standard practice at any connection thats why duty free liquids you take for the whole journey go in secure see through bags tamper proof bags they dont do this to get free drinks its to stop unchecked liquids getting on the plane

​the free drinks was a joke (_;)
is this post serious? Can I wear my own clothes on plane?
adamsxi

is this post serious? Can I wear my own clothes on plane?

depends - does it have explosives and a timer?
not really that stupid - i have had a bottle of pepsi taken off me one time but the rest of the time fine
brilly

depends - does it have explosives and a timer?not really that stupid - i … depends - does it have explosives and a timer?not really that stupid - i have had a bottle of pepsi taken off me one time but the rest of the time fine

Yes but not after passing through security and duty free. So yes your answer is as stupid as the post!
you are flying within the EU so nothing is duty free anyway. you can drink anything you like bought from the airport
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants