Can you format Android box and install KODI

Found 15th Feb
Quick question - Can you format an Android box (H96) and just install KODI onto the bare bones? I have no need for anything other than the hardware, so I thought it might free up some resources if I get rid of the Android OS (rather than run Kodi from within)
Community Updates
AskElectronics
11 Comments
You can install something like libreelec that is basically just kodi - its a thinclient for kodi, it boots straight into kodi.
It's what i used on my android box before i got a new tv to install kodi directly on.

libreelec.tv/
Original Poster
Yeah I know what I want to install, I just want to make sure it will work on the bare bones box (no driver issues etc)
The H96 isn't barebones. Only way to know for sure is to flash it yourself and see. Thing is with these devices, they change the WiFi/Bluetooth modules randomly which can cause problems after a device was initially supported.
Edited by: "rev6" 15th Feb
Original Poster
rev61 h, 1 m ago

The H96 isn't barebones.

It would be if I blat it
Yes
H96 Pro comes rooted, just install something like titanium backup from the play store to permanently delete anything you don't want.
RiverDragon834 m ago

H96 Pro comes rooted, just install something like titanium backup from the …H96 Pro comes rooted, just install something like titanium backup from the play store to permanently delete anything you don't want.

Not even remotely comparable, Kodi on Android is stuck at 720P/1080P with limited support, poor playback and sloppy surround sound support. Whack LibreElec on and you've got 4K HDR and full audio passthrough (bitstream). Installing the odd app isn't going to do that.

You'll find AMLogic builds and instructions here:
forum.libreelec.tv/boa…ic/

Generally as mentioned wifi is the only thing that can have issues but most are supported these days.
dcx_badass17 m ago

Not even remotely comparable, Kodi on Android is stuck at 720P/1080P with …Not even remotely comparable, Kodi on Android is stuck at 720P/1080P with limited support, poor playback and sloppy surround sound support. Whack LibreElec on and you've got 4K HDR and full audio passthrough (bitstream). Installing the odd app isn't going to do that.You'll find AMLogic builds and instructions here:https://forum.libreelec.tv/board/38-amlogic/Generally as mentioned wifi is the only thing that can have issues but most are supported these days.

And what that got to do with anything I wrote?
Original Poster
dcx_badass7 h, 3 m ago

Not even remotely comparable, Kodi on Android is stuck at 720P/1080P with …Not even remotely comparable, Kodi on Android is stuck at 720P/1080P with limited support, poor playback and sloppy surround sound support. Whack LibreElec on and you've got 4K HDR and full audio passthrough (bitstream). Installing the odd app isn't going to do that.You'll find AMLogic builds and instructions here:https://forum.libreelec.tv/board/38-amlogic/Generally as mentioned wifi is the only thing that can have issues but most are supported these days.

Cheers, I'll get it done over the weekend. Not fussed about wifi at all, it's wired in.
RiverDragon820 h, 22 m ago

And what that got to do with anything I wrote?

You suggested to keep on Android and uninstall/freeze apps not used, while using Kodi. LibreELEC is much better if your goal is just Kodi.
rev615 m ago

You suggested to keep on Android and uninstall/freeze apps not used, while …You suggested to keep on Android and uninstall/freeze apps not used, while using Kodi. LibreELEC is much better if your goal is just Kodi.

I didn't read properly what OP wrote, I thought he was asking how to free up room and just keep Kodi on.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants