Groups

can you have 2 insurance policies on 1 car?

want to start learning in my mums car on a provisional, but she has just takesn out a new policy on the car.

35 Comments

I'm pretty sure you can't

Two insurance policies? I dont understand.

no you can't

Original Poster

my mum has just got insured with sheiles wheels and they wont allow me to be a named driver under 21 being male so i was wondering i i could take out my own policy for a couple of months whilst im learning.

just add your name to your mums and pay the difference

edit above we both posted at same time

you can be added to your mums insurance as a learner driver if thats what you mean it is irrelevant of when she took it out so long as it has time left to run - but of course there will be an additional cost involved and as a learner probably a massive cost
    ahh sheilas wheels for female drivers - you can take out a policy for yourself as a learner but they will cost it for the whole year and then when you want to either stop or pass your test you can either cancel the policy and get a refund on anything outstanding or pay the difference for being no longer a learner

woodall92;4957395

my mum has just got insured with sheiles wheels and they wont allow me to … my mum has just got insured with sheiles wheels and they wont allow me to be a named driver under 21 being male so i was wondering i i could take out my own policy for a couple of months whilst im learning.

ah right, now I get you....

gamesrus;4957398

just add your name to your mums and pay the difference

Yeah you would normally do this. Looks like you will just have to learn with a driving instructor.

Original Poster

but you cant with them they wont insure a male under 21.

i was on hubbys as a learner and when i passed it went up £10 so its not always more money as a learner we couldnt belive it ha must be cos i was in with hubby then after i was let loose on my own

If you intend to take out your own insurance policy on your mum's car it will be far too expensive (learner and young-I'm guessing) and (she will want and need you to have fully comprehensive)...best idea would be to just have you added as an additional driver as an amendment to the new policy.

...and now I'm up to speed with the other posts ha ha ha

Original Poster

bellabonkers;4957414

ah right, now I get you....Yeah you would normally do this. Looks like … ah right, now I get you....Yeah you would normally do this. Looks like you will just have to learn with a driving instructor.

i already am but its costing so much, so i thought if i take out a separate policy for like 2 months it would be ccheapeer than paying the instructer.

woodall92;4957431

i already am but its costing so much, so i thought if i take out a … i already am but its costing so much, so i thought if i take out a separate policy for like 2 months it would be ccheapeer than paying the instructer.

I suggest you on online with compare.com and get a ball park figure for the cost of you insuring yourself on your own policy as a learner driver fully comprehensive in your mums car...and when you've recovered from the shock the cost of the driving instructor will seem cheap:whistling:

Original Poster

yes but they wont she already asked

Original Poster

twinkle;4957491

I suggest you on online with compare.com and get a ball park figure for … I suggest you on online with compare.com and get a ball park figure for the cost of you insuring yourself on your own policy as a learner driver fully comprehensive in your mums car...and when you've recovered from the shock the cost of the driving instructor will seem cheap:whistling:

£66 a month which is cheaper that 40 quid a week for 2 hours which im paying now.

v2drinkers;4957517

http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/shorttermcover.php

Won't cover under 25's

Original Poster

v2drinkers;4957517

http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/shorttermcover.php

looked good but u have to be 25 im 17

Maybe I can help - I worked in insurance for nearly ten years;

It is illegal to have two insurance polices running on the same vehicle. You also would not normally be able to insure the vehicle in your own name as you are not the registered owner & keeper.

Get your Mum to speak with Shelias Wheels, see if they can sort something out. If they're not prepared to do anything, threaten to cancel with them, but obviously get some quotes with you on as a named driver before you do anything hasty.

Good luck young Padwan

You say the policy was just taken out - is this within 14 days?

Original Poster

v2drinkers;4957534

But you'd still need lessons:whistling:

not as many

Original Poster

Benjiman;4957570

You say the policy was just taken out - is this within 14 days?

I think so yeah

woodall92;4957589

I think so yeah

...so we all agree cancel with the cooling off period...and he pays if there's any admin cost

get some quotes first though

v2drinkers;4957622

The red bit is deifinetly wrong!:whistling:Sorry but I have done this and … The red bit is deifinetly wrong!:whistling:Sorry but I have done this and you do not need to be the registered owner to insure the vehicle. I have personally had a car registered in someone elses(a non driver) name and insured it myself for over 9 years.

It does depend on the company but I agree it can be done.

woodall92;4957589

I think so yeah

You get a 14 day cooling off period with all insurance, she can cancel and the company can only legally charge cost, and a small admin fee. Get your mum to phone tomorrow and cancel that policy! Might be worth checking their terms online or in docs (if you have them already).

Might be your ticket to ride =)

v2drinkers;4957622

The red bit is deifinetly wrong!:whistling:Sorry but I have done this and … The red bit is deifinetly wrong!:whistling:Sorry but I have done this and you do not need to be the registered owner to insure the vehicle. I have personally had a car registered in someone elses(a non driver) name and insured it myself for over 9 years.

True, if it is deemed you have an insurable interest in the vehicle. This is normally spouses, partners, etc.. Might have been an internal rule though, worth checking :oops:

..also try these...as before but different way to insure and under 25's I think ecarinsurance.co.uk/pay…php

WikiAnswers says:

"Yes, You can Insure the property of another Person. So Long as you have authorization to do so and the owner is benefited, or an other insurable interest in that property exists. Such as a case where dad says " OK, you can use my spare car but you gotta get your own coverage". If You have permissive use from the owner of a vehicle, then obviously you have an insurable interest. However, Only the Legal owner of the Property or the designated agent of the owner can receive compensation for the property in the event of a covered loss. If you are insuring for liability only then this is not an issue. If you buy full property coverage, Then Dad will be proud and happy you were prudent enough to fully insure his and your interest in the vehicle he loaned you.

You can not insure the property of another when no insurable interest exists"

Benjiman;4957551

Maybe I can help - I worked in insurance for nearly ten years;It is … Maybe I can help - I worked in insurance for nearly ten years;It is illegal to have two insurance polices running on the same vehicle. You also would not normally be able to insure the vehicle in your own name as you are not the registered owner & keeper.

I think this is nonsense - it is illegal to claim on two different policies for the same vehicle and the same incident but it is entirely legal to have multiple policies running on the same car. Some insurance companies openly advertise some of their insurance policies as being suitable for an additional driver to take out if they can't be covered by the main policy. Under the exclusions, existing insurance is not mentioned. It's worrying if you did genuinely work in insurance for ten years.

John

v2drinkers;4957477

It would be fraud if you claimed on two insurances (I know you werent … It would be fraud if you claimed on two insurances (I know you werent going to do this!)Would it not get flagged up on the police database as 2 insurances running concurrently on the same car?It would be easier to just get her to phone the insurance company and get you added as second driverAnd I just got up to speed with the other posts too

I can't see this being an issue for ANPR, when the police check the MID it will return that the vehicle is insured. If the person is pulled over they can simply give the details of the insurance policy which currently covers them, as long as that checks out ok the police won't have an issue.

John

perhaps ur mum didnt want you on her policy hence she went to sheilas wheels. ... lol, only joking

Original Poster

twinkle;4957690

..also try these...as before but different way to insure and under 25's I … ..also try these...as before but different way to insure and under 25's I think http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/payasyougo.php

687 quid a month haha

Johnmcl7;4957766

I think this is nonsense - it is illegal to claim on two different … I think this is nonsense - it is illegal to claim on two different policies for the same vehicle and the same incident but it is entirely legal to have multiple policies running on the same car. Some insurance companies openly advertise some of their insurance policies as being suitable for an additional driver to take out if they can't be covered by the main policy. Under the exclusions, existing insurance is not mentioned. It's worrying if you did genuinely work in insurance for ten years.John

Quote monkey paid the bills through college, uni & a while after..

We were told it's a big no no & had to refuse insurance if the vehicle was already insured. I would definately check this with the insurance company on the phone so there is a recording of them telling you its OK to do so.. I guess it falls into the insurable interest issue again (see prev post).

Very definately a grey area.

It's not a grey area - there is nothing illegal about having two insurance policies running on the same vehicle. Some insurance companies may not like it (just as they don't like insuring you if you don't own the car) but as long as you're entirely honest it's neither illegal or fraudulent - I would expect the OP is going to have considerable difficulty getting any longterm policy for a reasonable cost.

John

If she has jsut got it, why not ask your mum to cancel the policy and get one you can be added to, as you normally get 14=28 days to cancel it, they might change there mind and insure you if your mum says she is going to leave cos of it?

Banned

cant you cancel at any time, thought insurance policies could be cancelled half way through as long as half a years payment was met
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?2290
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764159
      3. Sad news about Barcelona2395
      4. Any Xbox One news today?2356125

See more discussions