Groups
    EXPIRED

Can you honestly believe people can be this stupid?

26 Comments

can easily happen, my sat nav almost sent me into a field at 60 mph in the middle of the night, if its dark in country roads, i can see it happening.

Banned

Corker:

Redditch woman Paula Ceely cheated death en route to her boyfriend's house in Wales. Her sat-nav system took her to a large metal gate. Certain that this was the correct route, she opened the gate and, moments later, found herself in the path of a railway train. She jumped out of the way as the train smashed into her Renault Clio and carried it down the track. 'I'll never use a sat-nav again,' she told the Daily Telegraph.

sure can

the wonder of technology!

i love them when it tells you to take a left or right anf there is no bloody left or right

as soon as this happens you know its all gonna go pete tong!

Jumpingphil;5316241

If it's dark, you wont see it happening, surely.:w00t:

haha, thats true, :-D

My husband was telling me something about how all the satellites have to be re-aligned so none of the sat-navs will work. He could have been pulling my leg :P

amansk;5316214

can easily happen, my sat nav almost sent me into a field at 60 mph in … can easily happen, my sat nav almost sent me into a field at 60 mph in the middle of the night, if its dark in country roads, i can see it happening.

How would that happen? It said turn left/right and you were doing 60 mph and would have done so?

Banned

ClarityofMind;5316257

My husband was telling me something about how all the satellites have to … My husband was telling me something about how all the satellites have to be re-aligned so none of the sat-navs will work. He could have been pulling my leg :P

He was.

Its all the roads that are going to move.:w00t:

guv;5316284

He was.Its all the roads that are going to move.:w00t:

oh you're all as bad as he is lol

A hospital patient on a ward transfer got taken on an eight-hour magical … A hospital patient on a ward transfer got taken on an eight-hour magical mystery tour, thanks to bungling London ambulance drivers. Blindly trusting their sat-nav device, the ambulance crew took the patient to a hospital on the outskirts of Manchester, 200 miles away, when they were supposed to travel a mere 12 miles to Brentwood, Essex.

What has that got to do with sat nav?

ClarityofMind;5316257

My husband was telling me something about how all the satellites have to … My husband was telling me something about how all the satellites have to be re-aligned so none of the sat-navs will work. He could have been pulling my leg :P

This is the sort of story that he was talking about:

news.idg.no/cw/…7A1

pghstochaj;5316310

This is the sort of story that he was talking … This is the sort of story that he was talking about:http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=650277B6-1A64-67EA-E43C4F57008DA7A1

whew, I wasnt sure if he was winding me up lol

the ambulance story cant have been true. No-one would confuse 200 miles for 12!

Jumpingphil;5316364

No No No, that is still wrong.In 2012 the British government are going to … No No No, that is still wrong.In 2012 the British government are going to change which side of the road we all drive on.On May 1st 2012 all car drivers will be told to drive on the right hand side to bring us in line with Europe.If this appears to go without a hitch, then on July 1st, the bus, lorry and taxi drivers will be told to do the same. :w00t:

lmao!

Hey, it might work! :P

ClarityofMind;5316373

lmao!Hey, it might work! :P

Remember Sweden changed over night in 1967.

pghstochaj;5316444

Remember Sweden changed over night in 1967.

yes but I presume the bus and taxi drivers had to drive on the same side as the cars lol

pghstochaj;5316278

How would that happen? It said turn left/right and you were doing 60 mph … How would that happen? It said turn left/right and you were doing 60 mph and would have done so?

no, my maps are 2004 dated i think, and it was telling me to carry on as normal, the map was showing the road carrying on, unfortunately, that road has since been removed and was a T junction, with a field on the other side of it.........

built in sat nav, only downfall is updates are expensive!

ClarityofMind;5316486

yes but I presume the bus and taxi drivers had to drive on the same side … yes but I presume the bus and taxi drivers had to drive on the same side as the cars lol

Well yes.

amansk;5316490

no, my maps are 2004 dated i think, and it was telling me to carry on as … no, my maps are 2004 dated i think, and it was telling me to carry on as normal, the map was showing the road carrying on, unfortunately, that road has since been removed and was a T junction, with a field on the other side of it.........built in sat nav, only downfall is updates are expensive!

But a map would have done the same, you don't drive from your GPS do you? You surely drive with your eyes on the road, and therefore would have seen what was coming up ahead.

pghstochaj;5316506

But a map would have done the same, you don't drive from your GPS do you? … But a map would have done the same, you don't drive from your GPS do you? You surely drive with your eyes on the road, and therefore would have seen what was coming up ahead.

like i said, it was dark with no street lighting, and i didnt go into the field, i said the sat nav wanted to take me into a field, i never did!

amansk;5316551

like i said, it was dark with no street lighting, and i didnt go into the … like i said, it was dark with no street lighting, and i didnt go into the field, i said the sat nav wanted to take me into a field, i never did!

But your example is not really a failure of sat nav, but a driver mistake of not reading the road correctly. You should have been driving appropriately and on the look out for the junction, not think that the road was continuous given your sat nav screen.

pghstochaj;5316617

But your example is not really a failure of sat nav, but a driver mistake … But your example is not really a failure of sat nav, but a driver mistake of not reading the road correctly. You should have been driving appropriately and on the look out for the junction, not think that the road was continuous given your sat nav screen.

its an example of how users relying on sat navs can get into trouble, i thought that was the point of the article in question?

amansk;5316687

its an example of how users relying on sat navs can get into trouble, i … its an example of how users relying on sat navs can get into trouble, i thought that was the point of the article in question?

I disagree, the articles is users lacking in common sense getting into trouble. Your eyes should be on the road, not relying on whether the map says you not having to meet a T-junction.

pghstochaj;5316837

I disagree, the articles is users lacking in common sense getting into … I disagree, the articles is users lacking in common sense getting into trouble. Your eyes should be on the road, not relying on whether the map says you not having to meet a T-junction.

im sure ive said this already, but my eyes were on the road, i just said thats what the sat nav wanted me to do..... are you not understanding this?

pghstochaj;5316837

I disagree, the articles is users lacking in common sense getting into … I disagree, the articles is users lacking in common sense getting into trouble. Your eyes should be on the road, not relying on whether the map says you not having to meet a T-junction.

I agree, it is just a lack of common sense which is rather worrying given these people are clearly not paying attention to the roads around them. For any longer drives that I'm taking the sat nav with me on I always check the map in advance to ensure it's not taking me down some back road and keep a proper map in the car in case there has been a change in the roads. If the sat nav does tell me to go a direction which is obviously wrong (down a one way street, a buses only road etc.) then I just carry on as I can since any of the sat nav units I've used are good at re-routing. All of that of course is just common sense.

John

amansk;5316907

im sure ive said this already, but my eyes were on the road, i just said … im sure ive said this already, but my eyes were on the road, i just said thats what the sat nav wanted me to do..... are you not understanding this?

You stated that it nearly sent you off the road at 60 mph, in other words, based on the above, it didn't, it's just you had an out of date map and it didn't include your turning. Unless people drive based on their map display, nothing should ever happen in your scenario.

pghstochaj;5317105

You stated that it nearly sent you off the road at 60 mph, in other … You stated that it nearly sent you off the road at 60 mph, in other words, based on the above, it didn't, it's just you had an out of date map and it didn't include your turning. Unless people drive based on their map display, nothing should ever happen in your scenario.

Agreed
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....912
      2. Cheer me up please?1438
      3. One thing you've forgotten2126
      4. love affairs2067

See more discussions