Expired

Can you list an item elsewhere, say Gumtree, if it's already listed on Ebay?

Found 5th Feb 2014
Do Ebay allow it?
BTW I don't mean on Hotukdeals For sale / trade.
Community Updates
10 Comments
Yes, just say, you've posted it elsewhere..

Not sure if you're actually aloud, but I see plenty of people doing it.
Original Poster
sphinxy

Yes, just say, you've posted it elsewhere..Not sure if you're actually … Yes, just say, you've posted it elsewhere..Not sure if you're actually aloud, but I see plenty of people doing it.

I thought you was going to say that. There seems to be many people breaking the 'rules'.
There are a lot of listings which say it may be listed elsewhere, I don't know if eBay do allow it but, I always list stuff on Gumtree, then eBay and after a week of trying to sell on GT and giving in and putting it on eBay, someone always wants to buy it from GT then :|.

Course soon as it's sold I end (or sometimes change the listing for another item I'm trying to sell). Just as long as you have enough time to end the listing if it sells elsewhere. Ebay have implemented a change, where if you have bids and theres less than 12 hours left, they will charge you the final value fee anyway if you end an item early.
Original Poster
bex85

There are a lot of listings which say it may be listed elsewhere, I don't … There are a lot of listings which say it may be listed elsewhere, I don't know if eBay do allow it but, I always list stuff on Gumtree, then eBay and after a week of trying to sell on GT and giving in and putting it on eBay, someone always wants to buy it from GT then :|. Course soon as it's sold I end (or sometimes change the listing for another item I'm trying to sell). Just as long as you have enough time to end the listing if it sells elsewhere. Ebay have implemented a change, where if you have bids and theres less than 12 hours left, they will charge you the final value fee anyway if you end an item early.

Yep saw that change. Can you just put offer expires in ..... in Gumtree. I've never used Gumtree. On Gumtree do you have to accept an offer and honor it? in case Ebay listing cannot be cancelled.
Edited by: "-888-" 5th Feb 2014
whoMODStheMODS

Yep saw that change. Can you just put offer expires in ..... in Gumtree. … Yep saw that change. Can you just put offer expires in ..... in Gumtree. I've never used Gumtree. On Gumtree do you have to accept an offer and honor it?

On Gumtree you list the item and the price you want, then people email you (or call/text if you put a phone number) and normally offer you less 8-). You could list something and have 5 people email you within 10 mins and then you can choose who you want to sell to, if any. Theres no obligation to sell anything you do list on Gumtree, other than it would waste other peoples time. In the past I have changed my mind about an item I wanted to sell, or listed several things and just needed one selling so just say I'm expecting someone to collect in half hour or so and let them know if they dont turn up (also happens, arrange for someone to buy and they dont turn up :|). Again, no obligation to buy either I spose lol. Just irritating waiting around for someone who doesn't show.

If an eBay listing was due to end, I'd make sure I could end it first before arranging to sell to someone on Gumtree. Although it does run the risk of the Gumtree person not turning up. Like I said above though, for the most part, as soon as I list something on ebay someone on Gumtree then wants it within a day or two. Latest example being my partners iPhone. Been trying to sell it for a week and a half, maybe two. Gave in on Gumtree so listed it on eBay as well and that day finally someone on Gumtree wanted to buy it. Always happens to me lol.
Edited by: "bex85" 5th Feb 2014
Original Poster
bex85

On Gumtree you list the item and the price you want, then people email … On Gumtree you list the item and the price you want, then people email you (or call/text if you put a phone number) and normally offer you less 8-). You could list something and have 5 people email you within 10 mins and then you can choose who you want to sell to, if any. Theres no obligation to sell anything you do list on Gumtree, other than it would waste other peoples time. In the past I have changed my mind about an item I wanted to sell, or listed several things and just needed one selling so just say I'm expecting someone to collect in half hour or so and let them know if they dont turn up (also happens, arrange for someone to buy and they dont turn up :|). Again, no obligation to buy either I spose lol. Just irritating waiting around for someone who doesn't show.

Thx Bex. Saved me a lot of time working out how it works. Last question for 10 bonus points. Do you get a lot of people wasting your time with Gumtree?
whoMODStheMODS

Thx Bex. Saved me a lot of time working out how it works. Last question … Thx Bex. Saved me a lot of time working out how it works. Last question for 10 bonus points. Do you get a lot of people wasting your time with Gumtree?

It.....depends on what you list really I've found. Ie, Ive listed furniture items before and those people turn up and buy the item but, stuff like iPads or phones. Theres a lot of people who make stupid offers, ie I've been offered £200 for my iPad Air which was listed at £310. In my area though, theres a couple of names that will always send a message about those items and offer ridiculous prices as they buy to sell on, as I've done myself in the past. It was during that time, that I did have people who would say they'd come and buy it but, after giving my address and agreeing on a time, they never showed. Which is a bit worrying as someone has your address and knows you have an expensive item in the house. You can agree to meet somewhere though, although with phones if I buy I prefer to go the persons house, in case it becomes blocked then you know where they live.

Recently though, I've not had anyone not turn up, just stupid offers so I either laugh at them or ignore them.
Original Poster
Thank you!
who would ever find out?
Original Poster
Lucifer_UK

who would ever find out?

I'm sure Ebay would have ways.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants