Can you pass on a message to your neighbour? NO!!!

31 replies
Found 20th Feb 2008
I have had 2 calls this month from a company. They want me to give a message to a neighbour to ask them to get in contact.

I said 'No, why don't you call them'? She replied 'Because they don't have a phone'.
I told them to write them and ask them to call, and she sounded astonished and said 'So you are not going to help'? I said 'No' and she said 'bye' and hung up the phone.

I did pass a message on last year to a different neighbour, but from the reaction, I could tell that the call was not one they wanted.

Can anyone tell me what this is about?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
31 Comments

Banned

Can anyone tell me what this is about?

yeah, your neighbour:thumbsup:

They dont know your phone number do they and putting it down on forms and telling people to get you to pass a message on??

Still damn right discusting they call you!! Bet its debt companies or something

No idea, but I would have done exactly the same as you, if a company wants to speak to someone there are ways and means which do not involve other people.

I didn't think you would mind.:oops:

Original Poster

sassie;1608469

Can anyone tell me what this is about?yeah, your neighbour:thumbsup:

Glad you've surfaced.

amcol;1608470

They dont know your phone number do they and putting it down on forms and … They dont know your phone number do they and putting it down on forms and telling people to get you to pass a message on??Still damn right discusting they call you!! Bet its debt companies or something

No, I don't think it has been instigated by my neighbour, It's not even my next-door neighbour, they live at 10 doors away.

It does sound like a debt collector practice, but i've not heard of them doing this before.

suze;1608477

No idea, but I would have done exactly the same as you, if a company … No idea, but I would have done exactly the same as you, if a company wants to speak to someone there are ways and means which do not involve other people.

Last time I got the number for them to call, but passed it on. Next time they call I will take the number and call it myself.

Banned

Muppet, do as you're told next time :x

You should have said the next door neighbour is bloody 2 miles away, I've been to a house with someone's wallet in the middle of nowhere he told me (through the intercom camera) they were a mile up the road through the river (okay a ford). I said erm I've only got a two wheel drive could you give it to them please. He came out in his dressing gown and obliged, nice rich old fart he was :whistling:

souns like some kind of debt collecting call to me...

I've had phone calls too for my neighbour I think its a debt agency.

They must just pick someone in the same street who's number is listed

okaydokey;1608579

I've had phone calls too for my neighbour I think its a debt agency.They … I've had phone calls too for my neighbour I think its a debt agency.They must just pick someone in the same street who's number is listed

Yep, pretty much how they do it.

Fortunatley I have never had to deal with them but fromn what I've seen I despise some of their tactics :x

Unless you know the neighbours I wouldn't get involved.

i have had letters from banks asking if my neighbour is mr XXXXXXX and if so can i ring them to confirm this etc. the lazy *******s should come and knock on his door and ask him themselves..

Debt collector agency probably.

Original Poster

SpecialK;1608821

i have had letters from banks asking if my neighbour is mr XXXXXXX and … i have had letters from banks asking if my neighbour is mr XXXXXXX and if so can i ring them to confirm this etc. the lazy *******s should come and knock on his door and ask him themselves..

That's a pretty unique surname, they shouldn't have difficulty finding him surely? :thinking:

That is weird.

Banned

thesaint;1608523

Glad you've surfaced.

why do i get the feeling you dont really mean that:oops:

If I were you I would be more worried how they got your number.

Just for a moment pick a mate and try and figure out how you find out who lives next door to them before looking them up in the phone book. It isn't impossible, but it ain't straight forward. I do it occasionally in my line of work (I'm not a debt agent) but am obliged to declare how I came to have their details when i speak to them.

Next time they ring ask how they got your number. if they wont tell them to get lost.

Banned

aint it just electoral role, then directory enquiries:?

Saint, your so Quote "Callous" un-quote:|

Just tell them to.... well I'm not allowed to type what I would say... but u get the drift.

sassie;1611264

aint it just electoral role, then directory enquiries:?

As I said, not impossible. Some councils are very protective of their electoral role. As i said there are means but i would be a bit more challenging about who has got my details, how they use them and store them.

Banned

danfinn;1611318

As I said, not impossible. Some councils are very protective of their … As I said, not impossible. Some councils are very protective of their electoral role. As i said there are means but i would be a bit more challenging about who has got my details, how they use them and store them.

well if you on the elcetoral role then its public knowledge, same with dorectory enquiries unless your ex directory, then i would be asking questions

Original Poster

danfinn;1611253

If I were you I would be more worried how they got your number. Just for … If I were you I would be more worried how they got your number. Just for a moment pick a mate and try and figure out how you find out who lives next door to them before looking them up in the phone book. It isn't impossible, but it ain't straight forward. I do it occasionally in my line of work (I'm not a debt agent) but am obliged to declare how I came to have their details when i speak to them.Next time they ring ask how they got your number. if they wont tell them to get lost.

I'm not bothered how they got my number, I am on the full electoral roll, and have a BT landline.
Plus my number is plastered in the gents toilets in every public park in my city.

Banned

thesaint;1611367

I'm not bothered how they got my number, I am on the full electoral roll, … I'm not bothered how they got my number, I am on the full electoral roll, and have a BT landline.Plus my number is plastered in the gents toilets in every public park in my city.

lmfao:giggle::giggle::giggle:

sassie;1611331

well if you on the elcetoral role then its public knowledge, same with … well if you on the elcetoral role then its public knowledge, same with dorectory enquiries unless your ex directory, then i would be asking questions

Yeah Sassie, so the debt agency has to tootle down to the local town hall or library and look at it manually. They might as well have knocked on the neighbors door & left a message or written a letter. You can get the information on-line if you pay for it, as i said, not impossible.

Banned

danfinn;1611393

Yeah Sassie, so the debt agency has to tootle down to the local town hall … Yeah Sassie, so the debt agency has to tootle down to the local town hall or library and look at it manually. They might as well have knocked on the neighbors door & left a message or written a letter. You can get the information on-line if you pay for it, as i said, not impossible.

yeah, like the electoral roll and directory enquiries - lol

Be a debt collection agency without doubt,usually its because they have posted letters to the address without reply.I've had it several times before from the same company and in good old english told them politely to drive down and knock on the door,or if not there will be a modest charge for my services.:-D

Banned

sassie;1611402

yeah, like the electoral roll and directory enquiries - lol

I've opted out of being on the edited (one that is sold) electoral role since moving out of my folks, so I can still vote but all businesses think I'm at my very very old address :thumbsup:

Original Poster

lumoruk;1611463

I've opted out of being on the edited (one that is sold) electoral role … I've opted out of being on the edited (one that is sold) electoral role since moving out of my folks, so I can still vote but all businesses think I'm at my very very old address :thumbsup:

You won't appear at your old address, so why would they think you are still there? :?

Definitely debt collectors IMO.

Having used to work in that field (dont all boo at once) I am aware of this tactic. The company I used to work for tried bringing in this practice as I was leaving the company,

They signup with a company who provides them with a program and a database which consists of electoral role postal addresses and some stuff from BT also I think. They pay either a large flat fee if they will be using the software on a regular basis or can do a 'pay as you go' type scheme.

Anyway long story short if they couldnt contact the person they wanted to, if they had moved for instance they would use this program to find neighbours and try to confirm if the person had left etc.

Can't believe its becoming such a common practice now.

I stay off the electoral role anyway, one fewer way they can follow you. Although credit reference agencies make it easy for you to be traced..... but thats another story

Banned

thesaint;1611481

You won't appear at your old address, so why would they think you are … You won't appear at your old address, so why would they think you are still there? :?

because when I go on that website thingy to find who lives there it's me :roll:

They won't want to call me, I will complain to OFCOM for improper practice of trying to attain information.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. CEX grading55
    2. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage55
    3. Best/cheapest music service69
    4. meaning of op33

See more discussions