Expired

Can you put credit from one orange sim to the other?

Banned 16 replies
Found 27th Jan 2009
I recently bought a phone from carphone warehouse, but i had to also buy £10 top up as part of the deal. I asked if the credit can be put onto my Orange pay as you go sim and he said it's not possible i have to have a new sim with the credit on. I find that really silly, but am sure i read a while back that it's possible to move credit from one sim to the other but i'm not sure. Please any advice will be fantastic!

16 Comments

try ringin orange to ask?

Original Poster Banned

foxymissroxy;4198775

try ringin orange to ask?

yep i was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure what to say or if it's possible. I find when i ring Orange they're not that helpful, i know if i asked straight out then i'd probably get someone who says no straightaway when somebody else might actually try and find a way for me. I was hoping someone might have done this before.

You could ask them to transfer your old number to your new sim card, best off phoning them, hope you get someone helpful:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

starsparkle2311;4198873

You could ask them to transfer your old number to your new sim card, best … You could ask them to transfer your old number to your new sim card, best off phoning them, hope you get someone helpful:thumbsup:

i've done it plenty of times, just call orange and give them the details

Original Poster Banned

Thankyou all for your advice, rep added:thumbsup:
I rang up a few minutes ago and talked to quite a nice person, i have to activate the card first then ring 24 hrs after to say i want to move the credit over. I can't believe orange do that, it's not something i've heard other networks do. Thanks again and hopefully it will be sorted tomorrow!

madmax23;4199172

Thankyou all for your advice, rep added:thumbsup: I rang up a few … Thankyou all for your advice, rep added:thumbsup: I rang up a few minutes ago and talked to quite a nice person, i have to activate the card first then ring 24 hrs after to say i want to move the credit over. I can't believe orange do that, it's not something i've heard other networks do. Thanks again and hopefully it will be sorted tomorrow!

They all do it, well at least O2 and Orange do.
At the start of January I got a O2 contract and they transfered my pay as you go balance to my contract account, was £22 so will cover my first two bills.

Original Poster Banned

What i find confusing is why Carphone warehouse don't just let you top up on your own pay as you go sim, why do we have to take a new one from there and then come home and phone to have the credit moved over. It's a waste of their sims isn't it? Once the credit's moved over to their own sim people will just throw them away wouldn't they, no point having 2

madmax23;4199312

What i find confusing is why Carphone warehouse don't just let you top up … What i find confusing is why Carphone warehouse don't just let you top up on your own pay as you go sim, why do we have to take a new one from there and then come home and phone to have the credit moved over. It's a waste of their sims isn't it? Once the credit's moved over to their own sim people will just throw them away wouldn't they, no point having 2

It's how the networks do it, you don't get a voucher, you get the credit when you activate the new sim, so the credit comes from orange and not carphone warehouse.

Banned

If both sims are on Orange then you simply call Orange from the new sim (the number you dont want to keep) and ask them to do a credit transfer from your old sim to the new one, alternatively if you havent activated the new sim yet, you can also use up the credit you already have on your old sim and have your old number transferred to your new sim, tell them you lost your old sim and want to keep your existing number

Banned

madmax23;4199312

What i find confusing is why Carphone warehouse don't just let you top up … What i find confusing is why Carphone warehouse don't just let you top up on your own pay as you go sim, why do we have to take a new one from there and then come home and phone to have the credit moved over. It's a waste of their sims isn't it? Once the credit's moved over to their own sim people will just throw them away wouldn't they, no point having 2

The handsets are sold on the condition they are connected on the specific network, for CPW and most shops to be paid commission for the connection they have to first connect the phone, a pay as you go connection is done when the customer tops up and makes their first call from the handset...

E.G We buy a phone from T-Mobile the Nokia 6300 for £105, we then sell that phone for £80, once the customer tops up and makes their first call from that sim, we get £35 back from T-Mobile... Thus the phone has cost us £70, if its never connected we end up having sold a phone costing £105 for a £25 loss...

Box breaking has pretty much made it more difficult to sell Pay as you go handsets.

Original Poster Banned

MobilePhonez;4270516

The handsets are sold on the condition they are connected on the specific … The handsets are sold on the condition they are connected on the specific network, for CPW and most shops to be paid commission for the connection they have to first connect the phone, a pay as you go connection is done when the customer tops up and makes their first call from the handset...E.G We buy a phone from T-Mobile the Nokia 6300 for £105, we then sell that phone for £80, once the customer tops up and makes their first call from that sim, we get £35 back from T-Mobile... Thus the phone has cost us £70, if its never connected we end up having sold a phone costing £105 for a £25 loss... :)Box breaking has pretty much made it more difficult to sell Pay as you go handsets.

Thank you so much for spending the time to explain it to me so clearly, i never realised that is the case! (they say you learn something new every day!) Thanks again :thumbsup: rep added

Banned

No problem mate, just should mention thats also why most of the big boys such as CPW and Phones4U can also offer cheaper pay as you go prices than smaller retailers as most distributers such as Hugh Symons (now owned by CPW) that used to supply Pay as You go handsets to other retailers, now cant do so due to box breaking...

Box breaking is where shops buy a phone from a network, unlock it sell it seperately and then sell the sim card seperately too... Companies like Play that dont force you to top up, have actually had problems with their suppliers quite a few times because of this as their phones go "unconnected". Eventually even they may start forcing the topup, however they do lots of other things to work around this too by getting handsets from abroad, e.g the Motorola F3 they had a while ago was imported from India then sold with an Orange sim.

Original Poster Banned

Thanks alot again mate!!:thumbsup: You're what this forum is about

o2 do it the other wk i topped up what i thought was my sons paygo top up card it was only when i saw the mobile number realisedit was a old 1 rang o2 and they were fantastic after a couple of security checks they swapped it over even adding the 4pd odd that was still on the old number;-)

Banned

madmax23;4281386

Thanks alot again mate!!:thumbsup: You're what this forum is about

No problem mate, happy to help

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Krack WiFi vuln1121
  2. UBER can be a waste of money1019
  3. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1216
  4. *****Free Ultraviolet Movie Codes*****28161

See more discussions