Groups

Can you really get the sales tax back on shopping in the US?

Afternoon everyone,

I'm off to the US next week and plan and doing a bit of shopping over there.

With the much poorer exchange rate I thought I check on the US sale tax refund that I keep being told I 'should' be able to get back...
    Everytime I go over there I'm told that as a none US citizen I can get the sales tax refunded, but no one can explain how ?

I think it may be an urban myth, but had anyone ever managed this ??

6 Comments

Had a qucik read up on this, found something on yahoo answers but ive since lost it
    From what I read though, no

If you just ask the shopkeeper, they will usually do this on the spot.

You can claim it back but will need the shops details, plus you may need to pay duty if over the threshold plus the 15% VAT

I've never done this, I'll be mad if you can and all these years i've been missing out lol

Original Poster

thesaint;5171432

If you just ask the shopkeeper, they will usually do this on the spot.

I was told that, but I asked once over there and got looked at like I'd gone mad !
    Surely it's like VAT, if can't not change that over here no matter who buy what from you ?

steve1221;5172394

I was told that, but I asked once over there and got looked at like I'd … I was told that, but I asked once over there and got looked at like I'd gone mad ! Surely it's like VAT, if can't not change that over here no matter who buy what from you ?

The Americans are used to bartering. I always got big discounts equal to at least the NY sales tax, usually more. They were happy, especially when you told them that you didn't need a receipt.

Your personal allowance is so small coming back to the UK, that it isn't worth claiming it back.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99

See more discussions