Groups

Can you really use a sat nav without a cigarette lighter?

Bought a navigo about a month back for my new car ( rover mini cooper)
    but the only problem i face now is i dont have a cigarette lighter in my car meaning that my sat nav only works for about an hour before turning off - i know that sat navs need a constant supply of power to be used and the small battery life on their own are for setting up before the journey

So my question is Can you really use a sat nav without a cigarette lighter? any brand suggestions e.g long long battery life

Daniel

21 Comments

Can you not install an aftermarket lighter socket?

could try a freeloader

ogormans.co.uk/fre…htm

Might have some nightime dramas though.

Something like ]this just need to tap into a 12v line

Why hasn't your car got a ciggie lighter ?

halfords car hardfit a satnav for you. they basically take a feed and fit a cig lighter type plug and hide it behind dash and connect to satnav, so no real need for a socket in car.

Original Poster

choc1969;3080072

well i dunno its only a 1994

its pretty much exactly the same as this

http://mini-exchange.com/images/Rover_Mini_Cooper_For-Sale_00078.jpg

Original Poster

shanecr;3080073

halfords car hardfit a satnav for you. they basically take a feed and fit … halfords car hardfit a satnav for you. they basically take a feed and fit a cig lighter type plug and hide it behind dash and connect to satnav, so no real need for a socket in car.

nah

but im sure they could install a ciggy lighter somewhere

wtf thats one old classic

halfords wont install a cig lighter. a garage will, prob cost you an hours labour or so.

in fact buy a cig lighter, fit yourself, take a feed from the interior light or something. its not that difficult.

Original Poster

MarzBarz;3080106

wtf thats one old classic

yeh a rover mini sprite 1.3l mine is same as that cooper about but its not a cooper its a sprite - not one of these monstrosities that everyone from 20 year old girls to 50 year old men drive

http://www.design-cars.com/images/stories/2007_mini_cooper.jpg

lighter is well easy to fit mate, even my mum could probably do it, lol.
    They used to sell them in Maplin when I worked there a few years back, might be worth taking a look.

Mike..

dandoc2;3080133

yeh a rover mini sprite 1.3l mine is same as that cooper about but its … yeh a rover mini sprite 1.3l mine is same as that cooper about but its not a cooper its a sprite - not one of these monstrosities that everyone from 20 year old girls to 50 year old men drive

The reason people dont drive yours is because they are old deathtraps. :thumbsup:

If i were in a crash the last thing i would wanna be in is an old mini.

[quote=MikeBeaver;3080137]lighter is well easy to fit mate,
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=red]even my mum could probably do it, lol. :w00t:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ff0000]kids :roll: !![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Or you could take your navigo apart and put a higher capacity battery in it?

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;3080185

Or you could take your navigo apart and put a higher capacity battery in … Or you could take your navigo apart and put a higher capacity battery in it?

:oops: not too good at opening things

Titchimp;3080177

The reason people dont drive yours is because they are old deathtraps. … The reason people dont drive yours is because they are old deathtraps. :thumbsup: If i were in a crash the last thing i would wanna be in is an old mini.

That is true - no airbag and pretty much no protection anywhere - also like 5 inches off the ground -

Though driving it is a rush - i just wish i could drive it more

dandoc2;3080229

:oops: not too good at opening things

Probably better of getting a cig lighter put in anyway as it will come in useful for other stuff too.

It depends on your satnav - My tomtom 730's battery lasts upto 3+ hours from a full charge

Could use this ]http//ww…927 should clear you a few more hours and costs around £10.

something like this would also be handy maplin.co.uk/Mod…153 but maybe your sat nav wouldn't be as portable ?

choc1969;3080072

Because smoking is bad.

The JFK;3080571

Because smoking is bad.

And the car isnt old enough to smoke either:thumbsup: Mind you knowing Rovers version of the min i it probably does anyway.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764222
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711

See more discussions