Can you refuse to pay for a funeral?

Posted 22nd Nov
Just wondering, if a family member dies who is actually responsible for paying the funeral costs? What would happen if i refuse to pay or give 2 flying ducks what happened to that deceased persons body?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
There is an Edinburgh firm that does free disposal and recycling nationwide. They do not advertise. All done via word of mouth.
Sorry do not have their address, firm is Burke & Hare
I never paid for any of my family funerals

Regards

F. West
Bully22/11/2019 14:10

There is an Edinburgh firm that does free disposal and recycling …There is an Edinburgh firm that does free disposal and recycling nationwide. They do not advertise. All done via word of mouth.Sorry do not have their address, firm is Burke & Hare

I actually googled that thinking you was being serious haha
mutley122/11/2019 20:37

found this, which i think means the closest estranged relation only has to …found this, which i think means the closest estranged relation only has to pay for disposing of the body, which is cheaper than a funeral as it doesn't involve all the formal stuff.https://funeralcostshelp.co.uk/faqs/who-is-responsible-for-funeral-costs/

A bit late @mutley1 I posted that link around midday.
32 Comments
They would be cremated I think.
Disposal of the body is cheaper
Money for funeral costs are usually released with the permission of the executor of a will if there is one. If you haven't signed anything to say you'll take care of costs then I don't think you can be forced to.

This is a useful link
funeralcostshelp.co.uk/faq…ts/
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 22nd Nov
jaketheplumber22/11/2019 14:02

Money for funeral costs are usually released with the permission of the …Money for funeral costs are usually released with the permission of the executor of a will if there is one. If you haven't signed anything to say you'll take care of costs then I don't think you can be forced to.This is a useful linkhttps://funeralcostshelp.co.uk/faqs/who-is-responsible-for-funeral-costs/

I have a friend who has to bury a family member who she hasnt seen for 30years and the deceased person wasnt a nice person and did alot of nasty things and she doesn’t have the money but the council are saying she can apply for a benefit grant but that wont even cover half. Shes really wants nothing to do with it but the council are trying to make her pay.
There is an Edinburgh firm that does free disposal and recycling nationwide. They do not advertise. All done via word of mouth.
Sorry do not have their address, firm is Burke & Hare
SteMoss22/11/2019 14:08

I have a friend who has to bury a family member who she hasnt seen for …I have a friend who has to bury a family member who she hasnt seen for 30years and the deceased person wasnt a nice person and did alot of nasty things and she doesn’t have the money but the council are saying she can apply for a benefit grant but that wont even cover half. Shes really wants nothing to do with it but the council are trying to make her pay.

This is the last paragraph of the link I posted:

If the estate of the deceased has no money and there are no friends or family willing or able to arrange this, then the council will pay for a simple cremation ceremony, but no funeral service will be held.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 22nd Nov

There is an Edinburgh firm that does free disposal and recycling …There is an Edinburgh firm that does free disposal and recycling nationwide. They do not advertise. All done via word of mouth.Sorry do not have their address, firm is Burke & Hare

I actually googled that thinking you was being serious haha
Have you actually been asked by an undertaker or relevant authority to pay for the funeral? If not then don't worry about it.
An individual cannot be forced to take responsibility for arranging a funeral. Eventually it becomes a public health issue and will be dealt with by the relevant Council/Authority (Section 46 of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984) and a public health funeral will take place. They may attempt to recover costs from the deceased person's estate (if any)
Donate the body to medical science or feed it to the pigs
I never paid for any of my family funerals

Regards

F. West
ding22/11/2019 15:10

feed it to the pigs

39072314-iVUeB.jpg
Edited by: "spoo" 22nd Nov
As @ding says, you can donate the body to medical schools - they use them for med students to practice surgery.
hta.gov.uk/don…ody - if they accept the body they will usually cremate it after use.

I have a friend who has to bury a family member...

Why?
If they 'have' to bury a family member, then of course they should pay.
Why do they 'have' to bury them?
Edited by: "Pandamansays" 22nd Nov
Haircut_10022/11/2019 14:26

Have you actually been asked by an undertaker or relevant authority to pay …Have you actually been asked by an undertaker or relevant authority to pay for the funeral? If not then don't worry about it.

Its my friend and yes she has, but upto now i think they are just asking not demanding, she has already told them she doesnt want anything to do with it, just got to wait until monday now.
No one wants to have to arrange a funeral at what is already a difficult time. If you do, having an understanding of what is involved and how to deal with problems will help.

Most funerals are arranged by the nearest relatives and if not by a close friend. If there is no one, the local or health authority will arrange a simple funeral.

The person may have left instructions about the type of funeral and burial they wanted. There is no legal obligation for these instructions to be followed, but they usually are.

Read about how funerals are arranged, what services you can expect to get from a funeral director and how to get help with paying.

citizensadvice.org.uk/fam…al/
gov.uk/fun…nts

You may get some financial help from the government, or you can do it all yourself much cheaper or just turn body over to the state.
SteMoss22/11/2019 15:28

Its my friend and yes she has, but upto now i think they are just asking …Its my friend and yes she has, but upto now i think they are just asking not demanding, she has already told them she doesnt want anything to do with it, just got to wait until monday now.

In a case like this the local authority will always try to persuade a relative to pay for a funeral, but they can't force them to.
Since your friend hadn't seen the deceased for 30 years, didn't like them anyway, and has no money, her attitude is quite understandable!
Tell her to stand her ground and if they contact her again, repeat that she wants nothing to do with this and refuse to discuss it any further.
The council will then have to arrange and pay for a simple funeral (it used to be known as a Paupers Funeral).

I have a friend who has to bury a family member who she hasnt seen for …I have a friend who has to bury a family member who she hasnt seen for 30years and the deceased person wasnt a nice person and did alot of nasty things and she doesn’t have the money but the council are saying she can apply for a benefit grant but that wont even cover half. Shes really wants nothing to do with it but the council are trying to make her pay.

Tell her to tell them to jog on. I certainly wouldn't pay it.

Hold up.. wait a minute, something ain't right
SteMoss22/11/2019 15:28

Its my friend and yes she has, but upto now i think they are just asking …Its my friend and yes she has, but upto now i think they are just asking not demanding, she has already told them she doesnt want anything to do with it, just got to wait until monday now.

She doesn't have to no matter what they make you think

If no one pays at all than they'll get cremated which is what a option what many people actually choose to pay for
Ar460rn22/11/2019 15:23

As @ding says, you can donate the body to medical schools - they use them …As @ding says, you can donate the body to medical schools - they use them for med students to practice surgery.https://www.hta.gov.uk/donating-your-body - if they accept the body they will usually cremate it after use.

Don't you can without the person agreeing to it before death, right?

Just don't pay and the council will cremate it and probably give you a box of ashes or vase, whatever is cheapest

Edit yeah just checked I am right, nobody can decide to donate your body you must give consent to doing it before death and even if you die they must get the body get stored quickly hence why it's so hard to get donations for body parts since nobody wants there organs picked apart in a lab and those who do may not be useable
Edited by: "Norseg" 22nd Nov
deleted1471098
If they have any money or property then the cost of the funeral will be taken from the estate. Then the remainder following payment of debts will be dealt with in accordance with the will or split between living relatives.
parisp22/11/2019 20:18

Wind your long neck in

They are dead mate
Wongy11022/11/2019 20:25

They are dead mate

I gather that but how sad to think no one gives a flying f that you’ve died and no one wants to even give you a funeral. X
parisp22/11/2019 20:27

I gather that but how sad to think no one gives a flying f that you’ve d …I gather that but how sad to think no one gives a flying f that you’ve died and no one wants to even give you a funeral. X

to the people left behind maybe.
found this, which i think means the closest estranged relation only has to pay for disposing of the body, which is cheaper than a funeral as it doesn't involve all the formal stuff.

funeralcostshelp.co.uk/faq…ts/
mutley122/11/2019 20:37

found this, which i think means the closest estranged relation only has to …found this, which i think means the closest estranged relation only has to pay for disposing of the body, which is cheaper than a funeral as it doesn't involve all the formal stuff.https://funeralcostshelp.co.uk/faqs/who-is-responsible-for-funeral-costs/

A bit late @mutley1 I posted that link around midday.
@SteMoss You can refuse in a written statement as the next of kin. This written statement is recorded in the local authorities records and/or Parish records (till eternity?)

You ask what would happen to you? This comes down to family value and family compassion, dignity and respect for the dead.

The dignity and respect are applicable to those living, like yourself, sooner or later to die; perhaps a (legacy) concept known as social humiliation in relation to the "pauper's funeral" and the notion of having "a good send off" may influence feelings.

Furthermore:-

1. Yes, you are next of kin - then you have a family role as the next of kin to do the right thing as last rites for a family member and to involve other family members in contributing towards a funeral. What may happen to you is the possible treatment that your other family members have about you in future.

2. No, you are not next of kin, then whether you pay or not is a matter for negotiation between the next of kin and you. What may happen to you is the possible treatment that your other family members have about you, should you refuse to pay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions