Can you see the burn on this TV?

Posted 9th Aug
So lately I have noticed my TV has some colour burn but the missus reckons there isn't anything wrong with it...

So I thought I would ask you lot... Can you see it or are my eyes playing with me?

3521641-UVvHo.jpg3521641-VQdNw.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
37 Comments
I don’t see anything
Don't see anything.
Can’t tell from the picture, but is that a plasma? If it is, the purple on white is something that happens. Don’t know what causes it. But it occasionally happens. Usually on an intense white. Only noticed it on Plasmas.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 9th Aug
With a frame like that it must be ancient?

Time for a replacement???
Edited by: "TheBiker" 9th Aug
For those that can’t see owt, towards the middle of the picture, purpley
PAISAL09/08/2020 09:11

Can’t tell from the picture, but is that a plasma? If it is, the purple on …Can’t tell from the picture, but is that a plasma? If it is, the purple on white is something that happens. Don’t know what causes it. But it occasionally happens. Usually on an intense white. Only noticed it on Plasmas.

Nah it's not a plasma which is why it has surprised me. Right in the middle of the screen to me there is a pink burn. I notice it more when watching anime on the TV or if there are whites in that area.
dbizal09/08/2020 09:12

Nah it's not a plasma which is why it has surprised me. Right in the …Nah it's not a plasma which is why it has surprised me. Right in the middle of the screen to me there is a pink burn. I notice it more when watching anime on the TV or if there are whites in that area.

Haven’t seen a plasma for a while, which is why the purpleyness reminded me of it happening. There’s definitely some colour patching there though if you’re just looking for confirmation for your other half to get a new TV.

Is it always there, or just on whites?
TheBiker09/08/2020 09:12

With a frame like that it must be ancient?Time for a replacement???

HITACHI 48 DLED UHD bought from Argos in 2016.

That's what I think and looking at that Amazon Phillips 58 inch deal. But not using this as an excuse, but the pink really bothers me lol.
I kind of see it now but my eyes readjust and smooth it out, then I can't see it.
PAISAL09/08/2020 09:14

Haven’t seen a plasma for a while, which is why the purpleyness reminded m …Haven’t seen a plasma for a while, which is why the purpleyness reminded me of it happening. There’s definitely some colour patching there though if you’re just looking for confirmation for your other half to get a new TV.Is it always there, or just on whites?

To me it's always there, but now I know it's there I notice it all the time.
Obviously on dark scenes I don't notice it, but when there are people in frame or light scenes I can really notice it haha.
It could just be the way the TV is trying to reproduce an intense white. Not getting it quite right. Or it just cannot reproduce it properly.
PAISAL09/08/2020 09:20

It could just be the way the TV is trying to reproduce an intense white. …It could just be the way the TV is trying to reproduce an intense white. Not getting it quite right. Or it just cannot reproduce it properly.

I've only just noticed it within the last month or so. Was 100% not there before that as I am quite picky with stuff like this lol.
Trouble is different eyes pick out different things
I can't see the purple in the middle but I am seeing colour banding on the left of the screen.
nothing there, plus when your watching something you wont notice. its in your head so your looking for it. i'd be more concerned about the wallpaper..
Bargainhead09/08/2020 09:49

nothing there, plus when your watching something you wont notice. its in …nothing there, plus when your watching something you wont notice. its in your head so your looking for it. i'd be more concerned about the wallpaper..

Nout wrong with my wallpaper lol.
Drekly09/08/2020 09:43

Trouble is different eyes pick out different thingsI can't see the purple …Trouble is different eyes pick out different thingsI can't see the purple in the middle but I am seeing colour banding on the left of the screen.

It’s seem quite visible to me in the first photo.
If you mean the massively obvious white/purple block in the middle of the TV op then yes, i can see it!
captainbeaky09/08/2020 09:55

It’s seem quite visible to me in the first photo.

Might be time for me to have an eye test then!.
Bit white in the middle
Take a better photo without processing. Cant tell from that tiny pic.
Is it up both sides?
redserpent09/08/2020 12:42

Take a better photo without processing. Cant tell from that tiny pic.

I can see it on both pics, but the first pic it looks more obvious. Only so much you can upload on here without it playing with the image quality.
Not the best of pictures, but the problem is easy to see. Don’t know why some people can’t.
Just had a bit of a read round. It looks/sounds like it’s referred to as “magenta noise”. Very common on Plasmas, but other display types are not immune. I suspect the causes are different from Plasma to LCD/LED, and people are using the same term to describe a similar symptom of a different problem.

In the case of an LCD/LED, it’s likely to be a sign of failing capacitors on the backlight array. Not much you can do about it except for getting the panel replaced. It would be more economical to just get a new TV unfortunately.

Looks like it was an issue on some Samsung and LG TVs too from around 2017ish scouring through a few forums.

That’s just what I’ve read.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 10th Aug
Looks quite uneven all over.
dbizal09/08/2020 09:12

I notice it more when watching anime on the TV

There’s more at fault than your tv buddy.
BadMF09/08/2020 20:05

There’s more at fault than your tv buddy.

Nout wrong with Anime either. Go back to watching Eastenders before trying to be a smart ass.
BadMF09/08/2020 20:22

Comment deleted

Oh well. I enjoy watching Anime in the evenings with the missus after a hard day at work.

Each to their own. Such a BadMF lol. And you call me a 'manchild'.
I can't see anything, it's like that dress from last year where everyone had a different perception of colour from it
Turret-Buddy09/08/2020 21:22

I can't see anything, it's like that dress from last year where everyone …I can't see anything, it's like that dress from last year where everyone had a different perception of colour from it

dbizal09/08/2020 20:24

Oh well. I enjoy watching Anime in the evenings with the missus after a …Oh well. I enjoy watching Anime in the evenings with the missus after a hard day at work.Each to their own. Such a BadMF lol. And you call me a 'manchild'.

Well if anything, they highlighted the anime thing.

Solid, bright, consistent colours with smaller gradients between them. So that’s why you’re noticing it more there, just like on the whites.

Both of those situations would need consistent power delivery. The lack of which is causing the purpley blotching. (This will happen all the time, just more noticeable in these scenarios because of large areas of colour uniformity). So bad capacitors may well be the cause.
I can't see anything. As for those saying it's a bit white....it's meant to be lol
Satan_Claws10/08/2020 08:27

I can't see anything. As for those saying it's a bit white....it's meant …I can't see anything. As for those saying it's a bit white....it's meant to be lol

There’s a purple hue on the white, towards the middle of the screen.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 10th Aug
PAISAL10/08/2020 14:23

There’s a purple hue on the white, towards the middle of the screen.

Still can't see it, an I've spent far too long now staring at the pics Guess it's one of those things were people see different things.
Some more pics. I'm casting to the TV as I have no idea how to get a white screen to show you, but I think it's clearer in these pics.

41631443-WwSXV.jpg41631443-5LW8U.jpg
41631443-6D5pH.jpg
Edited by: "dbizal" 10th Aug
dbizal10/08/2020 18:59

Some more pics. I'm casting to the TV as I have no idea how to get a white …Some more pics. I'm casting to the TV as I have no idea how to get a white screen to show you, but I think it's clearer in these pics. [Image] [Image] [Image]

Nope, still see nothing.
Post a comment
@
    Text