Can you suggest an android TV box for media playback and more?

Posted 15th Apr
Hi

Been using budget android TV box ( T95Z) for some time. Want to upgrade it as it's struggling with 10 bit 4K files.

My needs are
1. Play media from External Hard drives with 4K and Dolby (have connected the present one to my Home Cinema).
2. Additionally Kodi - use iptv for TV
3. Ability to record IPTV would be great but not a deal breaker
4. Need optical digital,ethernet connection (wifi not as good as cable),usb,etc
5. No need for games capability.

Have looked at Vero 4K+ and Nvidia. Can I record IPTV to hard drive/Ext Hard drive in either one of them ?
Can you suggest the best option for me? I thought Nvidia has been around for some years now already but haven't looked up anything over the last 2 years. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
My TV can play all 4K files I've tried (ez952) what do you have?
MIDURIX50 m ago

My TV can play all 4K files I've tried (ez952) what do you have?

It has to be android tv box. sorry.
Vero 4K+ isn't android it's Linux at it's core, unless you need it for other android apps that's a good thing though. If you do need other android apps then get the Shield instead.

1. Play media from External Hard drives with 4K and Dolby (have connected the present one to my Home Cinema).
It happily plays even full size 4K blu-ray remuxes and will pass through all audio types to your receiver, either via USB or over your home network.

2. Additionally Kodi - use iptv for TV
It runs OMSC which for all intents and purposes is Kodi, just on Linux. On the Vero it's heavily tweaked for it's specific hardware.

3. Ability to record IPTV would be great but not a deal breaker
Not something i've done but if you install the TVHeadend server you can record your IPTV streams through that

4. Need optical digital,ethernet connection (wifi not as good as cable),usb,etc
Yes to all 3

5. No need for games capability.
NA
nvidia shield, probalby the best android box out there, but depends what you call cheap. you can add extra storage to it as well via usb.
T95x is pretty high spec, looks to have an amlogic s912. Even my weaker s905x can do 50gb+ 4k 10bit files without breaking a sweat. Put coreelec on it and it'll out perform most things this side of £100+ and easily match the shield. As far as I know the vero is just another amlogic box like you already have.

Coreelec can do all your requirements easily, bitstream raw audio, 4k, h265, 10bit, display rate switching etc. Android is crap for proper media playback, way too bloated for massive files.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 16th Apr
I wouldn't mind something cheap i can plug my 1TB harddrive where i have ripped all my DVDs to so i can just play them on my TV ( don't have a smart TV yet ) Ideally would love it so I can do put photos in each folder and have that come up to select from, kinda like my own home Netflix/media player
drewbles8216/04/2019 19:42

I wouldn't mind something cheap i can plug my 1TB harddrive where i have …I wouldn't mind something cheap i can plug my 1TB harddrive where i have ripped all my DVDs to so i can just play them on my TV ( don't have a smart TV yet ) Ideally would love it so I can do put photos in each folder and have that come up to select from, kinda like my own home Netflix/media player

Can do it easily with just Kodi to scrape the collection,find everything from posters to art work to trailer for each movie and save it seperate folder. You can also use smart playlists to get seperate movie lists,TV,etc . Just wiki it.
ro213317/04/2019 13:12

Can do it easily with just Kodi to scrape the collection,find everything …Can do it easily with just Kodi to scrape the collection,find everything from posters to art work to trailer for each movie and save it seperate folder. You can also use smart playlists to get seperate movie lists,TV,etc . Just wiki it.

I'm aware of Kodi but can you use it with your own content. Heard Plex is good and I'd only need the free version
Thanks Zooicidal,Bargainhead and dcx_badass.

Anything new coming up or is nvidia still the big player?
Will try learning about coreelec -just a bit down with the seasonal cold

Thanks guys!
drewbles8217/04/2019 13:15

I'm aware of Kodi but can you use it with your own content. Heard Plex is …I'm aware of Kodi but can you use it with your own content. Heard Plex is good and I'd only need the free version

Yes.My main collection is a 10TB hard drive with everything from movies,foreign movies,documentaries,etc.All properly named (which is the trick) and scraped by Kodi and sorted by smart playlists.If you prefer,you can first do it on your laptop with 'media companion' and save the bits9you can decide what nfo you want to add) in each movie folder - it makes kodi scraping a dolly. All my movies are displayed as in Netflix/Showbox with additional info with right click. Of course, you can display them intter ways than Netflix. Sometimes Kodi can scrape twice,etc hence you'll need time to sort it out .I assume you are not aware of this;apologies if you already knew!
ro213317/04/2019 13:24

Yes.My main collection is a 10TB hard drive with everything from …Yes.My main collection is a 10TB hard drive with everything from movies,foreign movies,documentaries,etc.All properly named (which is the trick) and scraped by Kodi and sorted by smart playlists.If you prefer,you can first do it on your laptop with 'media companion' and save the bits9you can decide what nfo you want to add) in each movie folder - it makes kodi scraping a dolly. All my movies are displayed as in Netflix/Showbox with additional info with right click. Of course, you can display them intter ways than Netflix. Sometimes Kodi can scrape twice,etc hence you'll need time to sort it out .I assume you are not aware of this;apologies if you already knew!

nah wasn't aware..any quick way of ripping the dvds, my Dad wants me to add all his and the software i used before took almost an hr per disc, then 20-30mins using Handbrake to get it a bit smaller
drewbles828 m ago

nah wasn't aware..any quick way of ripping the dvds, my Dad wants me to …nah wasn't aware..any quick way of ripping the dvds, my Dad wants me to add all his and the software i used before took almost an hr per disc, then 20-30mins using Handbrake to get it a bit smaller

That discussion is a regular pandora's box with so many things in play. Quality,size,encoding,display options (big screen tv ?),etc. A good rip of a blu ray can take days if you are after 4K quality, so an hour for dvd ripping should be fine, I guess. Handbrake is one of the fastest free rippers with terrific tweaking options,imo.:)
Edited by: "ro2133" 17th Apr
Coreelec is easy to setup, takes like ten mins and is brilliant for media playback, then you can tweak how you like. I've played 140mbps bitrate files on mine. I've got 3 boxes myself and setup at least 5 for friends.

drewbles821 h, 5 m ago

I'm aware of Kodi but can you use it with your own content. Heard Plex is …I'm aware of Kodi but can you use it with your own content. Heard Plex is good and I'd only need the free version

Kodi is designed primarily for your own content, the addons are an after thought/newer development (and official kodi is strongly against illegal ones.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 17th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions