Can you switch to a different energy supplier and from prepay to direct debit

Posted 11th Jun
Hi there

I’ve just moved into a new flat currently with EDF prepay electric. I want to make it direct debit as it’s cheaper but not with EDF, as I’ve seen online e-on has a cheaper direct debit tariff.

Also should I get a smart meter?

Should I switch direct debit with edf for a fix year then switch to another after?

What’s the best. Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
If you think e.on is cheapest for you then first move over to e.on on prepay then ask them to convert your meter into a direct debit meter.
They'll do it for you.
switching to direct debit from pre pay is subject to a credit check which will go on your credit file
You don't state if you are renting or own the property.

If renting you will need your landlords permission to chance it I think.
Bob2460111/06/2020 19:40

You don't state if you are renting or own the property.If renting you will …You don't state if you are renting or own the property.If renting you will need your landlords permission to chance it I think.

under law, tenants have the right to change the meter but they should ask the landlord first as he may get pretty upset! we have it written into our contracts that tenants are not allowed to change standard credit meters at the property to a prepay meter and if they are forced to do so because of bad credit then they would have to pay for any associated costs for the meter to be changed back to standard credit meter when they leave.

You don't state if you are renting or own the property.If renting you will …You don't state if you are renting or own the property.If renting you will need your landlords permission to chance it I think.

You don't need the permission of a landlord to change the box to a credit meter. But I would advise them what your intentions are.
mutley111/06/2020 19:51

under law, tenants have the right to change the meter but they should ask …under law, tenants have the right to change the meter but they should ask the landlord first as he may get pretty upset! we have it written into our contracts that tenants are not allowed to change standard credit meters at the property to a prepay meter and if they are forced to do so because of bad credit then they would have to pay for any associated costs for the meter to be changed back to standard credit meter when they leave.

There no costs to change a meter, you should allow tenants to pay for energy how they like, but that’s up to you of course
SmokinAce712/06/2020 00:32

There no costs to change a meter, you should allow tenants to pay for …There no costs to change a meter, you should allow tenants to pay for energy how they like, but that’s up to you of course

to the landlord there will be associated costs as some companies will charge for a meter change and the landlord has to attend the meter change so although he can not charge for his time, he can charge for travel expense to get to the property and if he employs someone to deal with the meter change, like his management agent, then he can pass that cost on to the tenant.

if my tenants run into debt, they will be forced to have a prepayment meter. the tariff on this is expensive and this will mean that future tenants may be put off with a property that has a prepayment meter. i would therefore want the meter to be put back to a standard credit meter and as it was not me that had been forced to have an expensive tariff meter installed, i don't see why i have to pay for the meter change.

if it was the other way round and the property had a prepayment meter, then yes, i would agree that it is unfair to enforce tenants to use a prepayment meter as the tariff is expensive. however in my case the exisitng tariff is the cheaper tariff so i do not want tenants to come in and spoil that for future tenants.

Own, I’ll just go direct debit with edf then switch after fixed term finishes
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants