Can you track a lost contract phone

Found 12th Nov 2011
My mum lost her contract phone, we phoned up o2 to block it just now. its mostly about getting the memory card that had pics of a loved one who is now passed away. Is there anyway I/o2 can track its last wereabouts?

20 Comments

Original Poster

dcx_badass

You can if you setup a phone tracking service on it, O2 the police might … You can if you setup a phone tracking service on it, O2 the police might if you can convince them it belongs to an international crime boss.

No sadly it wasn't set up

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

you only stored important pics on a phone

not me oO

You should have texts your mums number and asked if they could email you the images from a made up hotmail account as you were not worried about the phone, maybe they would, maybe they wouldnt, explain the pics are important

Edited by: "simplex" 12th Nov 2011

With modern technology they can track anything, even what the thief had for dinner yesterday. But to get this information you would need the police involvement and that would not happen unless you murder the thief.

It's gone for good. All you could do is keep an eye on eBay (filter by "nearest first"), in case the thief lists it there. And go round the second hand shops if you can be bothered.

simplex

You should have texts your mums number and asked if they could email you … You should have texts your mums number and asked if they could email you the images from a made up hotmail account as you were not worried about the phone, maybe they would, maybe they wouldnt

Not a bad idea but I doubt they would do it. It can't be done now as he blocked it. I always transfer photos taken on the mobile to my computer soon afterwards and delete it from the phone as that has limited memory.

Original Poster

oldmanhouse

It's gone for good. All you could do is keep an eye on eBay (filter by … It's gone for good. All you could do is keep an eye on eBay (filter by "nearest first"), in case the thief lists it there. And go round the second hand shops if you can be bothered.

Thats quite good idea about ebay, will be checking.

alanlukeb1

Thats quite good idea about ebay, will be checking.

If it's on ebay/in a shop, it will have been wiped.

Does it show up on here

Not sure if they check here or at the store

The network operator (O2 in this case) can track the phone fairly accurately, and very easily... after all, the network needs to know where the handset is to route inbound and outbound calls/texts etc
. The accuracy is determined by the number of cells the handset is connected to, and signal interference bounce off of structures. It's possible to get an accuracy as good as 30M

O2 could do it if they wanted ... but chances are, they can't be @rsed.
Edited by: "gizmouk" 12th Nov 2011

whatsThePoint

30m, tbh thats not much use unless they are hidding in the middle of a … 30m, tbh thats not much use unless they are hidding in the middle of a field

Start kicking the shizzle out of everyone in that 30M circle and if its just you in the radius do the below

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/KiNG_Since_73/The%20GiF%20Shop/FightClubPunchDrunk.gif

gizmouk

The network operator (O2 in this case) can track the phone fairly … The network operator (O2 in this case) can track the phone fairly accurately, and very easily... after all, the network needs to know where the handset is to route inbound and outbound calls/texts etc. The accuracy is determined by the number of cells the handset is connected to, and signal interference bounce off of structures. It's possible to get an accuracy as good as 30M O2 could do it if they wanted ... but chances are, they can't be @rsed.

O2 can only track it if it still has an O2 sim in it.
I'd think the op's sim is long dumped now it's been blocked, so there could be any sim it it by now.

O2 could check if the IMEI is live on their network, but even if they would they wouldn't give you any info on there it is or whose sim is in it as they would be in breach of the data protection act.

Any smartphone owners who are reading this thread and haven't got a tracking app installed - do it now! preyproject.com

Original Poster

Anyone know a blackberry one?

steve1221

O2 can only track it if it still has an O2 sim in it.I'd think the op's … O2 can only track it if it still has an O2 sim in it.I'd think the op's sim is long dumped now it's been blocked, so there could be any sim it it by now.O2 could check if the IMEI is live on their network, but even if they would they wouldn't give you any info on there it is or whose sim is in it as they would be in breach of the data protection act.

Actually they can track a phone no matter what / who's sim card is in it. The Police regularly work with network operators to track individuals

Kinda says something about the mentality around here that everyone's default assumption is that it's been stolen. Ask at your local police station. Most people are actually pretty decent, and would have handed it in.

dxx

Kinda says something about the mentality around here that everyone's … Kinda says something about the mentality around here that everyone's default assumption is that it's been stolen. Ask at your local police station. Most people are actually pretty decent, and would have handed it in.

,,,know what you mean, here's a little story
I lost a HTC HD when they first came out. I kept calling it but got no pickup, and then it went dead ...assumed I'd lost it for good & blocked it, abut a week later a pal got a VM from a woman who'd found it but couldn't work the touch screen eventually running out of power ,anyway she'd had to wait for her son going round for his sunday dinner to bring a charger to turn the phone back on. Long story short I got the handset back. I had to go to "one of the not nicest parts of town" where you'd expect anything found never to to be handed back
...yeah it did restore my faith in in fellow citizens !!

If it's an android you could try this, although its most likely to work for a short time period after losing the phone (as any thieving scrotes may have wiped for Google Account off the phone).

market.android.com/det…anb

Original Poster

Someone turned it in today (:

alanlukeb1

Someone turned it in today (:

That's great news.

Now would be a good time to back up those photos
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants