Can you use any adapter with the Nintendo Switch?

7 replies
7 Comments

More info needed

Original Poster

darksideby182

More info needed

Cheers. Have lost the charger and there is obviously the official nintendo switch adapter which is £24.99. From what I can see, its a type C adapter so wondering if I can use any old type C adapter to charge?

I just brought a usb c cable off of amazon works fine

All should work, but for better/faster charging should be better off going for a USB-C with PD (power delivery) output, connected by a USB-C to USB-C cable to the Switch. So one that outputs around 18W so a 9V>2.0A, 12V>1.5A, 15V>1.2A. Others that output less than that should still work as long as they output at least 7.5W though.

if correct output voltage dc (Vdc)& amp (mA) along with making sure tip is correct size & ensure positive or negative as per the original, then u should be fine. something with a constant output is best.
If u don't have the right output setup u can total wreck the device. be careful, if your not sure just buy an original.

jackdugher

All should work, but for better/faster charging should be better off … All should work, but for better/faster charging should be better off going for a USB-C with PD (power delivery) output, connected by a USB-C to USB-C cable to the Switch. So one that outputs around 18W so a 9V>2.0A, 12V>1.5A, 15V>1.2A. Others that output less than that should still work as long as they output at least 7.5W though.

USB Power Delivery rules say that anything that delivers a given wattage has to support the voltages used at that wattage and all of the lower ones. So anything equal or greater than the 39W of the switch charger should be fine. 27W is the threshold for the 15V output being mandatory so I'd also expect anything of at least that wattage to charge the switch pretty fast as well.

Unfortunately between manufacturers inventing their own power-over-USB standards (Apple, Qualcomm), manufacturers ignoring the spec and chargers not stating what they support finding compatible adapters in practice can be a bit of a headache.

Unless you want to use the dock to transmit to tv, in which case you need the official adapter.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…2653
    2. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland2047
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769322
    4. So Flubit is still terrible. What happened?!1112

See more discussions