Can you use Scottish money in England?

Posted 15th Jul 2019
Looking through a old saving jar, I've found a Scottish £5 not that is the same colour as our £5 note. Can this be used in England?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Yes! Shouldn't have any issues though the cashier may pause for a moment before it clicks
Edited by: "Nathan" 15th Jul 2019
17 Comments
Yes! Shouldn't have any issues though the cashier may pause for a moment before it clicks
Edited by: "Nathan" 15th Jul 2019
You can use Scottish notes in England, however, check that the note is now in use as I do believe there are “new” notes in circulation. Much like our fiver changed in recent years.
How old is it?
Is it paper or plastic?
Cisco06060615/07/2019 11:41

How old is it?Is it paper or plastic?

Plastic I think, looks similar to our £5 note colour wise.
Yes, I've never had any problems spending Scottish notes in England.

Some stores can be funny about Northern Ireland notes though (which are also legal tender across the UK), presumably because you don't see them in England anywhere near as often as Scottish notes.
I've never had a problem and I'm regularly traveling down to England. Think that whole idea of not accepting scottish notes was a good few years back, now it's not a problem. Bigger monetary value of the note the funnier the look you get lol
a shopkeeper once chased me down a street for using scottish money in London
Smaller shops are generally more reluctant to accept Scottish currency, I presume due to either lack of knowledge on how to check authenticity or general concern it's worth less..

They're strictly not legal tender but the applicability of such term is slim to none in the real world.

Shouldn't have a problem in any big chain store.
Couldnt you look up a lengthy explanation on Wikipedia maybe?
davewave15/07/2019 13:05

Couldnt you look up a lengthy explanation on Wikipedia maybe?

I think you'll find that's legal tender.
Yes. Best bet is order some perishable food, like a baguette or 99 cone. Then pay with it, any problems, it’s all you have.
Yes you can, and you will find in general it has better purchasing power in England than Scotland if buying alcohol
Of course you can use it it legal tender. It’s pounds sterling you can even use Clydesdale bank notes anywhere in uk don’t back down if they say no they have to take it old Betty’s heeds on it. If u have bother start a fuss they hate that
Having been in Manchester and London recently I can say I have been able to use Scottish notes in every shop. The only thing I will say is some of the staff had to check with their managers first
I'm going to be that guy and say everyone is wrong.
As i understand it, only coins and bank notes issued by the Bank of England are legal tender.
Any coins and bank notes from another bank are NOT legal tender, they are classified as legal currency.
Scottish bank notes are not even legal tender in Scotland. Therefore, no where in England has to accept Scottish bank notes.
They have every right to refuse to accept Scottish bank notes if they so wish.
Take it to the bank or post office and swap it. Self serve machines accept them otherwise. I was under the impression, regardless of the intricacies, if it says sterling yr good to go.
Edited by: "fattyflumpalump" 16th Jul 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants