Can you use Vodafone mobile BB sim in a handset?

Found 15th Mar 2008
Does anyone know if it's possible to take the sim out of the datacard and put it into a handset? Will it work off the same data plan?

22 Comments

It may work!

You using a 3G card then? I provide 2nd line support for these for Barclays Bank employees!!

3G Sims only transfer Data, whereas Mobile Sims transfer Data & Voice.

You may be able to use SIM in mobile and browse the net, but not make calls....give it a try! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Well I don't have one yet which is why I'm asking... otherwise I'm always the try it and see if it breaks type

I was looking for the cheapest international pure data roaming and they do a 200mb international include on their 3g data card but not on the handset plans (that I can see). So I was thinking buy the package, sell the data card and put the sim in my handset.

I see....I can't see it not working if you are using it purely for web use...let us know how you get on!

Original Poster

Vodafone rep said "No". I said you sound unsure (which he did). He said well we've been told no and if you could then we would be able to sell it that way.

I don't really believe he knows. Anyone else have one of these and willing to pop it in their handset to try?

Admin;1724809

Vodafone rep said "No". I said you sound unsure (which he did). He said … Vodafone rep said "No". I said you sound unsure (which he did). He said well we've been told no and if you could then we would be able to sell it that way.I don't really believe he knows. Anyone else have one of these and willing to pop it in their handset to try?

Im back at work on Tuesday, so I can give it a go then if you like?

So just to clarify, stick 3G SIM in mobile and browse the web yea??

Original Poster

Yeah that would be great if no-one else pipes up.

Exactly - grab the sim out of the mobile broadband data card, stick in mobile and see if it will browse the web. Not sure if any access settings would need to be done on the mobile.

Are you not better off using wifi at a hotel or something? I guess it depends on how many foreign holidays you're going to be taking this year???

I'll drop you a pm in a mo.

Admin;1725099

Yeah that would be great if no-one else pipes up. Exactly - grab the sim … Yeah that would be great if no-one else pipes up. Exactly - grab the sim out of the mobile broadband data card, stick in mobile and see if it will browse the web. Not sure if any access settings would need to be done on the mobile.

Would need the APN, user name and password I think.

Original Poster

Benjimoron

Are you not better off using wifi at a hotel or something? I guess it … Are you not better off using wifi at a hotel or something? I guess it depends on how many foreign holidays you're going to be taking this year???

Yeah I use Boingo Global (£20/month unlimited global roaming at most hotspots) for wifi. I was looking for the cheapest way to get constant email on my mobile though when abroad.

Between Boingo Global and voip I've got most international costs shaved down to something reasonable. Just have to figure out the data roaming...

Admin;1725162

Yeah I use Boingo Global (£20/month unlimited global roaming at most … Yeah I use Boingo Global (£20/month unlimited global roaming at most hotspots) for wifi. I was looking for the cheapest way to get constant email on my mobile though when abroad.Between Boingo Global and voip I've got most international costs shaved down to something reasonable. Just have to figure out the data roaming...

£20 a month???

You take far too many holidays for my liking!

Original Poster

Haven't had a holiday in years!

You only need to get dinged once for £7/hour or whatever by Openzone etc etc etc to realise you pay off £20 very quickly even if you lapse for a month or two

Admin;1725217

Haven't had a holiday in years!You only need to get dinged once for … Haven't had a holiday in years!You only need to get dinged once for £7/hour or whatever by Openzone etc etc etc to realise you pay off £20 very quickly even if you lapse for a month or two

That's what they all say!

You taking HUKD global???

Just to confirm, you can browse the web with a 3G SIM card.

I have just tried it with my N95 (after getting settings sent from Voda)

Also, you cannot make calls, due to data only.

Hope this helps Admin! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I love you birdyboyuk That's fantastic news! What did we ever do to get helpful info before the internet!

Admin;1743564

I love you birdyboyuk

OOh err!! :?

Original Poster

In a purely HUKD way....

I thought so! :whistling:

Make sure you have a 3G enabled handset by the way! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

birdyboyuk

Make sure you have a 3G enabled handset by the way! :thumbsup:

Does it not switch to gprs if 3g is not available?

Birdyboy - I think you are the teacher's pet!!!!
Instead of taking an apple for teacher, you could take one of your chickens' freshly laid eggs!!;-):-D

Admin;1744205

Does it not switch to gprs if 3g is not available?

It should do....depends where you are....

Try ]THIS

Original Poster

Just as a follow up on this. I can confirm the Vodafone data sim works perfectly fine

Thanks for your help birdyboyuk with getting me the truth rather than what the Vodafone CS rep said

:-D

Vodafone know nothing! lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75861
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…88
    3. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55

See more discussions