Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can you Vac a newly laid carpet?

Posted 23rd Jan
So I’ve had a new stairs carpet fitted this morning. I forgot to ask the fitter this question and the loose fibres are everywhere I would love to vac them up but I’ve always been advised to let the carpet settle in before hoovering is this a Myth? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
So long as the carpet glue has dried then of course, Vacuum it. Usually dries pretty much instantly tbf.
.MUFC.23/01/2020 11:48

So long as the carpet glue has dried then of course, Vacuum it. Usually …So long as the carpet glue has dried then of course, Vacuum it. Usually dries pretty much instantly tbf.

I did hear them spraying stuff so I’ll give it another hour before doing it. Thanks
winzzz23/01/2020 11:44

Myth The first Google result

Its not a myth, your link talks about waiting a week and it being a bad idea because of fibres sticking or matting in the carpet.
This wait advised by carpet fitters is an hour or two to let the glue dry, Otherwise carpet lifts up in middle of room when hoovering
The glue you heard being sprayed would have been contact adhesive to hold the underlay down - this dries on contact (almost instantly). Any joins in the carpet are normally done with a hot melt glue - this dries when cool - a minute or so.

So as your hour is up perfectly safe to hoover.
.MUFC.23/01/2020 11:48

So long as the carpet glue has dried then of course, Vacuum it. Usually …So long as the carpet glue has dried then of course, Vacuum it. Usually dries pretty much instantly tbf.

I didn't realise carpets were glued, don't think I have ever done that - I assume this is for concrete floors?
I remember when I first moved in and had thick cream carpets, I'd bought a Dyson...I thought I'd used a lawnmower, never seen so much come up it was all ok though, it'll only take out what's meant to do.
Gormond23/01/2020 12:51

I didn't realise carpets were glued, don't think I have ever done that - I …I didn't realise carpets were glued, don't think I have ever done that - I assume this is for concrete floors?

Glue underlay to wooden floor boards then many also glue carpet to underlay
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants