Cancel landline - can you get the same number back?

Posted 19th Sep
Long story short.

We just joined virgin from BT but the Internet seems bad. There’s a 14 days period which I can cancel.

If I cancel and BT don’t come quick enough to take over the line and it drops with our number.

Does that mean we can’t get that same number?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
If its still available it's yours.
talk to Virgin, when we moved to them a few years ago speeds in our area were not the best, when I threatened to cancel they sent out a senior engineer who found the whole estate was having problems due to their main box. Took a couple of weeks to fix and no issues since then over 230 download speeds. It can be a nightmare to get them to get the right engineer out but for us it was worth it.
"If I cancel and BT don’t come quick enough to take over the line..."?
Are you suggesting Virgin and BT are using the same line? That seems unusual. Regardless, you could port a VM or a BT landline number to a suitable VOIP service (takes about 5 wkg days and the donating service must remain active during that period), then optionally re-port to a physical service once a physical service is re-instated. Or just keep the number as VOIP and use it worldwide on multiple smart devices anywhere you have an internet connection, or even hang a quaint traditional landline handset off it; suppose it depends if you use the number a lot for outgoing calls as VOIP providers such as Sipgate offer freebie incoming calls and freebie voicemail to email etc but charge for outgoing calls. About £30 to port from VM (or BT) to Sipgate. Zero ongoing costs (no line rental), except for any optional outgoing calls.
basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/…om-
basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/…sic
AndyRoyd19/09/2019 12:49

"If I cancel and BT don’t come quick enough to take over the line..."? Are …"If I cancel and BT don’t come quick enough to take over the line..."? Are you suggesting Virgin and BT are using the same line? That seems unusual. Regardless, you could port a VM or a BT landline number to a suitable VOIP service (takes about 5 wkg days and the donating service must remain active during that period), then optionally re-port to a physical service once a physical service is re-instated. Or just keep the number as VOIP and use it worldwide on multiple smart devices anywhere you have an internet connection, or even hang a quaint traditional landline handset off it; suppose it depends if you use the number a lot for outgoing calls as VOIP providers such as Sipgate offer freebie incoming calls and freebie voicemail to email etc but charge for outgoing calls. About £30 to port from VM (or BT) to Sipgate. Zero ongoing costs (no line rental), except for any optional outgoing calls.https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/207885325-Which-service-providers-can-sipgate-port-numbers-from-https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204155912-Porting-my-existing-telephone-number-to-sipgate-basic

This sounds super complicated. By same line I’m saying my same number got ported from BT to virgin on the same day.
eslick19/09/2019 12:31

talk to Virgin, when we moved to them a few years ago speeds in our area …talk to Virgin, when we moved to them a few years ago speeds in our area were not the best, when I threatened to cancel they sent out a senior engineer who found the whole estate was having problems due to their main box. Took a couple of weeks to fix and no issues since then over 230 download speeds. It can be a nightmare to get them to get the right engineer out but for us it was worth it.

Only thing is I’m worried about being fixed into the contract... we got 14 days to cancel so I will talk to them to see if they can get an engineer out. Our promised speed is 180 and I’m getting around 40 atm
3ak19/09/2019 13:02

Only thing is I’m worried about being fixed into the contract... we got 14 …Only thing is I’m worried about being fixed into the contract... we got 14 days to cancel so I will talk to them to see if they can get an engineer out. Our promised speed is 180 and I’m getting around 40 atm

"Super complicated" is an unexpected description for entering details into a single-page port instruction, paying £30 and optionally adding an app to one or more smart devices.
3ak19/09/2019 13:02

Only thing is I’m worried about being fixed into the contract... we got 14 …Only thing is I’m worried about being fixed into the contract... we got 14 days to cancel so I will talk to them to see if they can get an engineer out. Our promised speed is 180 and I’m getting around 40 atm

If the number has been ported from BT to VM, BT or its contractors may have set the donating BT line to "ceased". Some ceases (and certain other scenarios) can result in 2+ weeks delay to reinstate a BT Openreach line; likely further complicated if the customer is attempting to combine a re-connection with a port-in from another provider (VM).
If you want to cover all bases it may be prudent to contact BT to obtain the definitive options and timeframe(s) that would be specifically available to you should you decide to re-start a BT-based service, as I don't think a web forum is going to be able to accurately advise for your specific line / exchange.
Realistically VM should be able to sort your issue promptly so contacting BT for a return option should not be required, but still prudent.
Worst comes to worst you should be able switch to virgin rolling contract before you cancel until someone takes over so your not tied to a contract.

And I agree the cancellation period is not long enough for when you want to keep your number.
Edited by: "MR1123" 19th Sep
AndyRoyd19/09/2019 13:36

If the number has been ported from BT to VM, BT or its contractors may …If the number has been ported from BT to VM, BT or its contractors may have set the donating BT line to "ceased". Some ceases (and certain other scenarios) can result in 2+ weeks delay to reinstate a BT Openreach line; likely further complicated if the customer is attempting to combine a re-connection with a port-in from another provider (VM).If you want to cover all bases it may be prudent to contact BT to obtain the definitive options and timeframe(s) that would be specifically available to you should you decide to re-start a BT-based service, as I don't think a web forum is going to be able to accurately advise for your specific line / exchange.Realistically VM should be able to sort your issue promptly so contacting BT for a return option should not be required, but still prudent.

Thank you for your time. You’re right I will certainly try sort out VM first it seems like the speeds are getting better but only when I’m close to the router.
MR112319/09/2019 16:13

Worst comes to worst you should be able switch to virgin rolling contract …Worst comes to worst you should be able switch to virgin rolling contract before you cancel until someone takes over so your not tied to a contract. And I agree the cancellation period is not long enough for when you want to keep your number.

That’s really good advice! I hope they can offer me monthly in fact it makes sense that they will as if not they’ll lose me then retain some monies back. Thanks for your input.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants