Cancel O2 contract early due to calls to Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man will be removed from your inclusive minutes

Found 2nd Nov 2013
Got a text 3-4 days ago that

From the 4th December 2013, we will be removing some numbers ranges from your inclusive minutes as the costs to these ranges are much higher than standard mobile or landline.

link below
o2.co.uk/sup…nge

if you have ever called this number or you plan to call them you can cancel early without penalty.

You can always say that you took the contract on understanding that they are included and now friends/family moving to one of these isles so it will be of material disadvantage to you and request to cancel early.

i haven't tried it as out of my contract anyway.

Hope it helps

33 Comments

A bit off topic but with T Mobile I challenged my bill for unwitting calls to an IoM mobile (074...) last month and they refunded me in full

All IOM numbers are 01624 landline or 07624 mobile.

Original Poster

U can argue as long as u have used any or plan to use any of the numbers they are changing.

Original Poster

U can argue as long as u have used any or plan to use any of the numbers they are changing.

Original Poster

Mod- why moved this to misc section. Lots of people will miss it . its a deal just like free roaming from 3???

It's not a deal - it's a heads up.

Jatt

Mod- why moved this to misc section. Lots of people will miss it . its a … Mod- why moved this to misc section. Lots of people will miss it . its a deal just like free roaming from 3???

A deal is gaining something, this from what I see is losing / giving up something. No deal just a heads up

Thanks for the post

Thanks for this

with o2 refresh I am guessing this only cancels the phone tarrif

Good luck cancelling.
I call an IoM number and am going round in circles with o2 saying I'm not able to cancel the contract because of the changes.
I've read out the contract points under section 5 and have been speaking to a manager who is frustrating me immensely, she hadn't heard about the changes until I called (she's been on holiday) so she was just reading out the memo over and over again.
I was told that I could have an add-on for £5 giving me 30 minutes worth of calls X)
No thanks.
I asked if they'd add it to my account free of charge as a gesture of goodwill, a point blank no.
I pointed out that adding the £5 bolt on would constitute an increase of over 10% (re: 5.3 b of the contract) but just got the memo read back to me.

Free to 35p/min is a big change! I have family on the IoM so it's not an insignificant change.

sickly sweet

Good luck cancelling.I call an IoM number and am going round in circles … Good luck cancelling.I call an IoM number and am going round in circles with o2 saying I'm not able to cancel the contract because of the changes.I've read out the contract points under section 5 and have been speaking to a manager who is frustrating me immensely, she hadn't heard about the changes until I called (she's been on holiday) so she was just reading out the memo over and over again.I was told that I could have an add-on for £5 giving me 30 minutes worth of calls X)No thanks.I asked if they'd add it to my account free of charge as a gesture of goodwill, a point blank no.I pointed out that adding the £5 bolt on would constitute an increase of over 10% (re: 5.3 b of the contract) but just got the memo read back to me.Free to 35p/min is a big change! I have family on the IoM so it's not an insignificant change.

What does the memo state? I would love to get out of my o2 contract since I took it via a 3rd party and they won't give me a friends and family discount

Anyone had any luck so far?

I might give it a try later.

But not really that hopefull, (although I do need IOM calls and other islands for work, I haven't ever had the need to call them from my mobile as always been in work when I've had to)

Let us know how you get on I really can't see how they can go against their own t's and c's?

thegazman

Let us know how you get on I really can't see how they can go against … Let us know how you get on I really can't see how they can go against their own t's and c's?

No luck really.
The memo was that it was within the T&Cs and they were not going to budge on it at all.
I don't have the T&Cs infront of me right now, but I think it was 5.3 which said if the bill goes above 10% increase you can cancel, I pointed out that it would be more than a 10% increase either with the calls or an added bundle but then they said the 10% was 'core contracts only' ie no add ons. I pointed out that my contract included these calls before so it started off as my core contract -they still didn't budge.
Then I went on and said a few other points like that it says something similar to 'some changes give you the right to cancel' and the response was around lines of 'on this occasion it doesn't give you the right to cancel, our legal teams have been through it and confirmed we're in the right'.

Not even the senior manager could let me cancel but we did come to a compromise of some money off my bill each month, better than nothing I suppose.

I'd still rather have IoM calls in my allowance than a 17% discount on my bill but at least there was a compromise.

sickly sweet

No luck really.The memo was that it was within the T&Cs and they were not … No luck really.The memo was that it was within the T&Cs and they were not going to budge on it at all. I don't have the T&Cs infront of me right now, but I think it was 5.3 which said if the bill goes above 10% increase you can cancel, I pointed out that it would be more than a 10% increase either with the calls or an added bundle but then they said the 10% was 'core contracts only' ie no add ons. I pointed out that my contract included these calls before so it started off as my core contract -they still didn't budge.Then I went on and said a few other points like that it says something similar to 'some changes give you the right to cancel' and the response was around lines of 'on this occasion it doesn't give you the right to cancel, our legal teams have been through it and confirmed we're in the right'.Not even the senior manager could let me cancel but we did come to a compromise of some money off my bill each month, better than nothing I suppose.I'd still rather have IoM calls in my allowance than a 17% discount on my bill but at least there was a compromise.

Thanks for that. I still can't see how they can go against their own t's and c's? I will give them a wee phone tomorrow and chance my arm

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck with this? I have an o2 contract that ive had since August that id like to get out of if poss. Does anyone know if the terms of business would have had the IOM calls in it then?

Thanks

Wanted to bump this to see if anyone has had any luck yet?

Ive just been through the online chat. No real luck with it but this has now gone live since 4th December, so you will be charged for calling iom, jersey and Guernsey.

The advisor said to make a complain with their complaints dept before Ofcom, trading standards or whoever, as they can do something about it. Im not holding my breath, but will report back when I hear anything.

I got a point blank no from their customer service team so have complained to Ofcom. Hopefully they'll be able to do something!

Same here. Even their higher level complaints team aren't interested. Infact they sent a deadlock letter that wasn't even coherent English. The grammar was appalling and all they did was copy and paste an FAQ page saying "are we in te wrong? No!"

As a customer of o2 for over a decade I find this treatment shocking. Hopefully OFCOM will at least be able to force an apology out of them. I've got another 12 months of what is now essentially a useless contract. Even EE offer a better call rate reduction package to the IoM than O2 extortionate bolt on (which when you compare to the bolt ons for example to India) aren't even close.

Discrimination! I have family on the iom - mind you I have recently left o2 after many years!

Stupid question but whats the difference in calling IOM to calling IOW? Why are we charged for IOM?

Banned

TJ26

Stupid question but whats the difference in calling IOM to calling IOW? … Stupid question but whats the difference in calling IOM to calling IOW? Why are we charged for IOM?

maybe cuz iow is just an island and iom is a different political economical status

scottishredheadedlassie

maybe cuz iow is just an island and iom is a different political … maybe cuz iow is just an island and iom is a different political economical status

Thank you for the reply. So when scotland gets independance, we will be charged to call family in scotland too.........great!

Use this website to find the higher level email addresses: ceoemail.com/ind…php

I've done this in the past with Orange and got some results when I was getting nowhere over the phone. Worth a try.

Banned

TJ26

Thank you for the reply. So when scotland gets independance, we will be … Thank you for the reply. So when scotland gets independance, we will be charged to call family in scotland too.........great!

oh aye we will charge you lol

Original Poster

If you have been given deadlock letter, take it to their arbitration service and if you can prove you are having a loss, they will let u go for free. Don't complain to of com, they are useless

Original Poster

See below about arbitration

service.o2.co.uk/IQ/…ion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=13668

How will you know you are calling or texting the IoM or channel islands, when they start with 01,02,03 or 074/5/6/7/8/9 the same as the UK.
They have UK numbers, so how, without revising their area codes, will you know?

Did not receive any notification about this, i am on a business deal with o2.
Perhaps they are only informing those who call these numbers on a regular basis?
Will drop them an email for clarification.

I went on the live chat service three times and on the first cc was told that O2 were in the wrong and that I would get a full refund. The second and third chats were as a result of receiving TEXT messages to say that my bill was unpaid. I have told them that I am officially in dispute with O2 and will not pay any further charges until they refund me in full. I have used Jersey and Guernsey mobile number for free for 22 of my 24 month contract term so they don't have a leg to stand on. I am now waiting for the deadlock letter and will take this up at arbitration. In reality all mobile users should kick up a major fuss about this as all the major providers have cottoned on to this scam and have removed the free to call Jersey and Guernsey numbers from their service.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants