Expired

Cancel TalkTalk Plus TV contract at no charge and own the youview box!

Found 4th May 2014
Hi guys,
it may be useful for someone in situation like me or fed up with TalkTalk, or even just cheeky.

Right, I got an email from TalkTalk, as an update on their services however the bottom line (not so eye-catching) was that they were going to put their prices up and I could cancel my contract within 30 days of this message without any charges:

'Here at TalkTalk we've been working hard to improve your service whilst keeping your bills low, and always at Britain's best price.

We're pleased to let you know that your package now includes 7 Sky TV channels, new ways to manage your bills, free phone features and unlimited broadband – with no caps or extra charges.

We're committed to keeping up with your ever-increasing needs, and as we improve things, we need to raise our prices. From 18th May 2014 your Plus TV package will cost £18.50 a month. This is still Britain's lowest price TV, broadband and anytime calls package, saving you £213 vs BT*. To discover more about your new benefits and to understand your rights, please read this email in full.

Your Plus TV package now with more of the TV you want

We're bringing you great Sky entertainment, even more movies and more to record:
• 7 Sky channels included since 5th April – enjoy Sky 1, Sky Sports News, Sky Living and Sky Arts with new, original British and US drama and comedy. See familiar faces like Matthew Perry and Billie Piper. Enjoy award winners like Moone Boy, and new series of old favourites like 24. Access all channels live and enjoy Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Arts on demand. Visit talktalk.co.uk/skytv to find out more

• Hundreds more movies from May – over 500 movies, including most of this year's blockbusters, with many available to rent the same day as the DVD from TalkTalk Box Office
• More flexibility to watch TV when you want it, coming soon – record, pause, rewind, and search all your channels – that's every Freeview channel, every extra channel you add, and all your new Sky channels
We'll let you know when your new features are available.

Totally unlimited broadband, and free phone features – no caps or extra charges

We're the only UK company to give all of its customers totally unlimited broadband and extra phone features as standard:

• Totally unlimited broadband – did you know that TalkTalk homes now have up to 5 devices connected at any one time, and have doubled their downloads in the last year alone? We're proud to say we're continually investing in our network to meet your ever-increasing needs. With us, we promise there will never be any usage caps or extra charges, and we won't slow you down at peak times. (This couldsave you £72 a year compared to BT~)
• Free phone features – you get more included with our phone service than with anyone else. We've recently made our landline features free, and that means you get access to voicemail, caller display, anonymous caller reject and more without paying any extra. To activate these features, please visittalktalk.co.uk/more (these features alone cost £145 a year with BT^)

Even better ways to manage your bills

We're committed to helping you keep your costs low:

• Use our new Speedy Payment Discount and enjoy 15% off your bill, every month

• Download the new My TalkTalk App to track your bill wherever you are

• To help you manage your bills easily, we're introducing one simple call rate from 1st June 2014. We'll charge any standard calls you make outside your calls package at the same rate, day or night, wherever you call in the UK. Find all our standard call charges online at talktalk.co.uk/prices

Please visit talktalk.co.uk/more to find out more and activate these new features.

We're committed to bringing your home even more benefits and keeping up with your needs. However, as we have put our prices up, if you contact us, you have the right to change your package or leave us within 30 days of receiving this email, without any charge. We hope you enjoy these new improvements to your Plus TV package, especially knowing you're saving £213 vs BT.'

As you can see they are kind of saying it is going to be more expensive but at the same time there will be more available (Sky channels, bla bla bla) which seems to be fair if you are happy with it. Unfortunately, I am moving in with my partner and both of us have already got contracts with TalkTalk therefore it was a perfect occasion to pull out and just to stick with one!

Here's the best part of it:
I made a call, the CS were really helpful and confirmed it all, also said we could choose the date to stop all services (really flexible, mine is in 2 months' time) and finally: we keep the youview box as they were breaching the contract!

The summary:
an used youview box is I guess worth c. £100 (correct me if I am wrong, please) - that's the one with built-in HDD. I do not know if all of this gets you a chance to quit TalkTalk at no charge (like me) and go somewhere else due to a good offer currently available on the market.

The email was dated 15th April 2014 so you have time until 14th May 2014 to go for it.

help2.talktalk.co.uk/acc…267
Community Updates
11 Comments
While it would mean no early termination fee, if the box was supplied was part of a discounted deal then you will be expected to return it and would (normally) be charged the full price for the box if not. Sounds like you got an advisor who didn't know what they were doing.
Edited by: "robertr" 4th May 2014
Huawei boxes are pathetic TT must of gotten a cheap contract
robertr

While it would mean no early termination fee, if the box was supplied was … While it would mean no early termination fee, if the box was supplied was part of a discounted deal then you will be expected to return it and would (normally) be charged the full price for the box if not. Sounds like you got an advisor who didn't know what they were doing.

Like thats ever going to happen at talktalk.:D
Original Poster
robertr

While it would mean no early termination fee, if the box was supplied was … While it would mean no early termination fee, if the box was supplied was part of a discounted deal then you will be expected to return it and would (normally) be charged the full price for the box if not. Sounds like you got an advisor who didn't know what they were doing.

Well, that's something I had confirmed, even if you did not keep the box, it would be nice to cancel the contract if you have got stuck with it IMO
Agree, anything that helps TT customers out of their contract is a bonus. Shame they don't supply the Humax boxes.
Can i just say a massive thank you iv had nothing but problems with talk talk since i moved. Iv jut phoned up to cancel plus i get to keep my youview box xxx
I was going to buy a Humax box but reviews are not much better
im with talktalk worse customer services ever!!
Original Poster
tmilward1

Can i just say a massive thank you iv had nothing but problems with … Can i just say a massive thank you iv had nothing but problems with talk talk since i moved. Iv jut phoned up to cancel plus i get to keep my youview box xxx

You're welcome, that's how useful I found it. To be honest, I do not get all these negative comments here - you have a chance to cancel your contract if you want to as well as you keep the box?
I wouldnt pay £30 for the box, its slow as **** compared to my old Foxsat HDR even that is a few years old.
I phoned them to complain that I do NOT want the extra channels, they have arranged a £5 discount until the end of my contract 9/10 months. So might swap after that.
i had talktalk for years and tbh there customer service was always helpful when i rang them i even won xfactor final tickets 3 years in a row which made the wife and in laws happy
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants