Cancel TV Licence if you don't watch live tv

Posted 13th May
You can cancel your licence and may be eligible for a refund if, before your licence expires, you won't be:

watching or recording any programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel, or
watching or streaming programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.), or
downloading or watching any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any device or provider you use, including:

TV sets (including smart TVs)
DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders
Laptops and desktop computers
Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices
Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT TV)
Games consoles
Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)
Freeview, Freesat or YouView

tvlicensing.co.uk/che…op7
Community Updates
The cost of a TV licence is currently £157.50

Groups

Top comments
I've just cancelled mine, not watched anything live for months. Checked and double checked and I'm happy to give up live streams and iPlayer.
53 Comments
How is this a hot deal?
You still need it for iplayer
How many people does this honestly apply to?
FFS .... (facepalm)

Sits and waits for all the posts listing subscriptions you can cancel if you do. It use them. Doh! Doh! Doh!
Edited by: "Baldricky" 13th May
So if you don’t watch tv, don’t pay?? Unless I’m having a thick moment the post is very confusing
bplem13/05/2020 11:06

How is this a hot deal?

It think it’s more of a heads up not everyone is aware they no longer need a license if they don’t watch I player or any live tv. With the rise of streaming services its likely more people will no longer require a license. People thinking owning a TV requires a license but it’s the content you view which determines if you need a license or not.

I rarely watch much live tv and could stop but I still use I player so have to fork out for a license.
Blue13813/05/2020 11:08

So if you don’t watch tv, don’t pay?? Unless I’m having a thick moment the …So if you don’t watch tv, don’t pay?? Unless I’m having a thick moment the post is very confusing

You can legal watch lots of TV from streaming services like Amazon, Netflix, Now Tv without the need for a license.

However if you are watching Live TV or BBC I player you do and not everyone realises they don’t need a license and it’s quite a decent saving
How abt news videos on BBC website non live or slight delay
myusernamehasgone23413/05/2020 11:11

It think it’s more of a heads up not everyone is aware they no longer need …It think it’s more of a heads up not everyone is aware they no longer need a license if they don’t watch I player or any live tv. With the rise of streaming services its likely more people will no longer require a license. People thinking owning a TV requires a license but it’s the content you view which determines if you need a license or not. I rarely watch much live tv and could stop but I still use I player so have to fork out for a license.

Not a hot deal though
Is there any cashback for TV licence
myusernamehasgone23413/05/2020 11:13

You can legal watch lots of TV from streaming services like Amazon, …You can legal watch lots of TV from streaming services like Amazon, Netflix, Now Tv without the need for a license.However if you are watching Live TV or BBC I player you do and not everyone realises they don’t need a license and it’s quite a decent saving

The rules say that you won’t be watching Amazon, Now TV etc... either.
What if I watching only foreign channels through satellite dish?
Bargainatix13/05/2020 11:17

You can use those services without a license as long as you don't watch LIVE streams....
Bargainatix13/05/2020 11:17

Live shows on those services.

Not the services themselves.
bplem13/05/2020 11:16

Not a hot deal though

Yeah certainly more of amisc / discussion post.
tuczko13/05/2020 11:25

What if I watching only foreign channels through satellite dish?

Needed.
I've just cancelled mine, not watched anything live for months. Checked and double checked and I'm happy to give up live streams and iPlayer.
sounds to me that the rules haven’t changed

The only way you can cancel is if you don’t own or watch TV

am I missing something
Its not really credible that over a year someone wont want to watch a news (esp in the current situation) or sports programme or some other show being broadcast on freeview, sat, or cable , or something on iPlayer.
Many watch mainly on catchup or demand from Prime Netflix etc but to watch zero broadcast TV over a year doesnt sound likely really.
Given the way he's phrasing his posts it appears to be just someone with an axe to grind.
Sir yes sir
jwsg13/05/2020 17:54

Its not really credible that over a year someone wont want to watch a news …Its not really credible that over a year someone wont want to watch a news (esp in the current situation) or sports programme or some other show being broadcast on freeview, sat, or cable , or something on iPlayer. Many watch mainly on catchup or demand from Prime Netflix etc but to watch zero broadcast TV over a year doesnt sound likely really.

I considered ditching basic sky and added on the benefit of ditching the tv licence.

However as you mentioned, there is no way that I will avoid watching live TV over 12 months. There is too much sport for me to watch for one...
I haven’t watched live tv for 30 years there is a whole world of other things to do and watch
Bargainatix13/05/2020 11:08

How many people does this honestly apply to?

All people who just watch Netflix or Amazon prime. The most I watch is news that too is uploaded to YouTube within an hour of it being live broadcasted so I can watch it as recorded rather than live.

Anyway it’s a good way to save your self £120 or so a year so it is a deal.
Mendoza13/05/2020 15:56

sounds to me that the rules haven’t changedThe only way you can cancel is i …sounds to me that the rules haven’t changedThe only way you can cancel is if you don’t own or watch TVam I missing something

You can own a TV without a TV licence as long as you don't use it to watch or record live broadcasts or access BBC iPlayer.
NayemHussain14/05/2020 20:08

All people who just watch Netflix or Amazon prime. The most I watch is …All people who just watch Netflix or Amazon prime. The most I watch is news that too is uploaded to YouTube within an hour of it being live broadcasted so I can watch it as recorded rather than live.Anyway it’s a good way to save your self £120 or so a year so it is a deal.

£157.50.

All people who just watch Netflix or Amazon prime. The most I watch is …All people who just watch Netflix or Amazon prime. The most I watch is news that too is uploaded to YouTube within an hour of it being live broadcasted so I can watch it as recorded rather than live.Anyway it’s a good way to save your self £120 or so a year so it is a deal.

Its not though is it?
It would be like someone posting a deal 'don't pay for Netflix if you don't watch it' save £120 a year.
jwsg13/05/2020 17:54

Its not really credible that over a year someone wont want to watch a news …Its not really credible that over a year someone wont want to watch a news (esp in the current situation) or sports programme or some other show being broadcast on freeview, sat, or cable , or something on iPlayer. Many watch mainly on catchup or demand from Prime Netflix etc but to watch zero broadcast TV over a year doesnt sound likely really.

I ditched the TV license in 2006 as I realised I wasn't watching any live TV anyway. Since then I have not watched any live TV (or iplayer since they included that).
So if I can do it for 14 years it is certainly credible to do it for 1 year.
julieallen14/05/2020 23:47

Its not though is it? It would be like someone posting a deal 'don't pay …Its not though is it? It would be like someone posting a deal 'don't pay for Netflix if you don't watch it' save £120 a year.

Yeah but I doubt the number of Netflix subscriptions is on par with the number of TV licences. 96% of homes owning a TV owned a TV licence last year: researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/doc…pdf

TV licence is made out to be mandatory as long as you simply own a tv and people need to know that's not the case. This site is about saving money and if you technically don't need a tv licence you should be putting that money to better use.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 15th May
Mendoza13/05/2020 15:56

sounds to me that the rules haven’t changedThe only way you can cancel is i …sounds to me that the rules haven’t changedThe only way you can cancel is if you don’t own or watch TVam I missing something

Yes you are, a TV licence isn't need if you don't watch live TV (on any channel) or don't use BBC Iplayer.

So if you use your TV for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, playing xbox or PS4 only; then a licence isn't needed.

I watch Netflix etc. and get my news online so no licence for me, the BBC'c output has declined in quality over the years and any shallow attempt by them to hide their bias has gone out of the window, they deserve people cancelling their licences.
The word live might confuse people - here it means any show being broadcast over freeview sat etc - not just something actually 'live' like a football match. Just because we 'mainly' watch Netflix / Prime doesnrt mean no licence needed - its impossible over a full year not to want to watch one thing on the news, sport or a show being broadcast on freeview/sat or use iplayer
MadeDixonsCry15/05/2020 08:32

Yeah but I doubt the number of Netflix subscriptions is an par with the …Yeah but I doubt the number of Netflix subscriptions is an par with the number of TV licences. 96% of homes owning a TV owned a TV licence last year: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8101/CBP-8101.pdfTV licence is made out to be mandatory as long as you simply own a tv and people need to know that's not the case. This site is about saving money and if you technically don't need a tv licence you should be putting that money to better use.

We shall agree to disagree, I think this is information, which will be helpful for a lot of people, I imagine. However it's not a deal, and the fact it's not in deals suggest the mods think so too. You can't have deals which are basically 'don't buy something if you don't need it, and save £xxx'. I didn't buy a new car yesterday, as I already have a car, so I wouldn't use it, but I don't think, get in, saved £20k by not buying one

As others have said, I think the vast majority of people do watch live TV at some point, and therefore do need one. I don't have one at the moment as I genuinely don't watch any. Moved a week before the lockdown, the Virgin cable isn't live for some reason, the sat dish needs a new LNB as the old one is snapped off, and there is no TV ariel. I haven't bothered getting any sorted as all require someone coming in the house (apart from the LNB possibly) and can honestly say I haven't missed a single thing on TV. I do tend to watch sport though so once everything starts getting back to normal, will most likely get one then.
julieallen15/05/2020 10:41

We shall agree to disagree, I think this is information, which will be …We shall agree to disagree, I think this is information, which will be helpful for a lot of people, I imagine. However it's not a deal, and the fact it's not in deals suggest the mods think so too. You can't have deals which are basically 'don't buy something if you don't need it, and save £xxx'. I didn't buy a new car yesterday, as I already have a car, so I wouldn't use it, but I don't think, get in, saved £20k by not buying one As others have said, I think the vast majority of people do watch live TV at some point, and therefore do need one. I don't have one at the moment as I genuinely don't watch any. Moved a week before the lockdown, the Virgin cable isn't live for some reason, the sat dish needs a new LNB as the old one is snapped off, and there is no TV ariel. I haven't bothered getting any sorted as all require someone coming in the house (apart from the LNB possibly) and can honestly say I haven't missed a single thing on TV. I do tend to watch sport though so once everything starts getting back to normal, will most likely get one then.

No, I think I misread tbh. I do agree, it should not be in "deals" section, more in misc.

The most I watch is news that too is uploaded to YouTube within an hour of …The most I watch is news that too is uploaded to YouTube within an hour of it being live broadcasted so I can watch it as recorded rather than live.

Not so good if the news is about a giant meteor that's 3 minutes away from hitting your town
jwsg15/05/2020 09:35

The word live might confuse people - here it means any show being …The word live might confuse people - here it means any show being broadcast over freeview sat etc - not just something actually 'live' like a football match. Just because we 'mainly' watch Netflix / Prime doesnrt mean no licence needed - its impossible over a full year not to want to watch one thing on the news, sport or a show being broadcast on freeview/sat or use iplayer

We don't. The aerial came down in wind years ago. No satellite, no cable.
No TVL for a couple of years. Been visited once by TLV thug. Letters dried up a year or so ago.

We watch a mix of amazon prime, nowtv, and recently disney+. We don't have netflix as i've never found it worthwhile.
99% of the time my TV is on it's Blaze and the Monster machines on Amazon
As NHS workers with 2 toddlers, TV isn't something we have much time for!

It's actually really nice NOT to have it, stops you sitting down to watch whatever rubbish is on in the background. If we watch something on TV its because its something we feel worth the time.
Having spent time in Nepal without access to the outside world, I assure you you don't NEED live TV to enjoy life. In fact i'd argue quite the opposite!
Cancel your tv licence even if you do watch live tv and dont answer the door to the tv licence people!
Ok I'm trying to avoid the word live because its really anything broadcast. Netflix and Prime are great - but only for some series - maybe one thing a day, but people who watch more than a few hours a day are going to want to dip into normal broadcast TV. There's no way anyone can watch continuous Netflix 365 days a year.
In the current situation people are going to want to watch the news or other broadcast just to keep up with whats happening in the world.
I dont find the TV licence good value for the amount of BBC etc I watch, but its a fact of life of having a TV I'm afraid until things change.
but if I use kodi/mobdro etc, to watch live tv, TVL would never know, they would just think I’m watching the firestick, right?

but then, I have a smart tv, so they can just say I’m using that
cis_groupie15/05/2020 11:59

Not so good if the news is about a giant meteor that's 3 minutes away from …Not so good if the news is about a giant meteor that's 3 minutes away from hitting your town

Surely you can just yano, read it on the significant number of free news websites?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions