Cancel your contract early with Plusnet due to upcoming changes

Found 29th Jun 2016
Plusnet are increasing prices from 1st September and lowering upload speeds. so you can cancel your contract early and move to somewhere cheaper or negotiate a better offer.

I was offered £25.49 for 38mb BB, line rental and 24/7 calls, but refused as SSE are still £21 for 76mb, unlimited calls and Line Rental

No hassle cancelling through live chat so if you are in contract and want to move its worth a go

You can probably only do this after getting the email notifying you of the changes, but thought I would post it as there have been times in teh past when I haven't got their emails!

Info from the email below

Changes to your speeds
Broadband download speeds are important for most of the stuff you do online such as browsing, streaming TV, watching videos, gaming and downloading files. So we’re increasing the download speed limit of your fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb‡, which means you might find your connection gets faster. We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb. These changes are happening on 1st August.

Changes to your package
You’ll see these changes on your bill from 1st September:
• Your line rental will increase from £16.99 to £17.99 a month.
• Your Anytime call plan will increase from £6.00 to £6.50 a month.
• Your Plusnet Line Rental still includes free calls to other Plusnet Home Phone customers.
• The cost of your broadband isn’t changing.

What happens next?
We hope you’re happy with your products and services but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won’t apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days’ notice.

51 Comments

Sloth/Mod

Move to misc as a heads up/info thread. Thanks.

Original Poster

Syzable

Move to misc as a heads up/info thread. Thanks.

not saying it isn't right as I couldn't decide where to post it, but how come sky retention deals stay in the deals forum but a plusnet one gets moved to misc?
The sky ones say contact them and get offered xx and its a deal
this one says contact them and get offered xx and its a heads up oO

julieallen

not saying it isn't right as I couldn't decide where to post it, but how … not saying it isn't right as I couldn't decide where to post it, but how come sky retention deals stay in the deals forum but a plusnet one gets moved to misc?The sky ones say contact them and get offered xx and its a dealthis one says contact them and get offered xx and its a heads up oO

Any thoughts where to move to, at the moment for fibre deals? The Sky Copper Deal was incredibly good (& then paying for upgrade to fibre) but that expired a couple of weeks ago.

Perfect time for me to get out as in an 18 month contract with the price going up anyway after 12 months.

EDIT: Seen your SSE post. Might see what Plusnet offer on retentions first though & take the £25.49 offer or slightly better. I can only get around 15MB fibre anyway due to where I live
Edited by: "Firefly1" 29th Jun 2016

Original Poster

Firefly1

Any thoughts where to move to, at the moment for fibre deals? The Sky … Any thoughts where to move to, at the moment for fibre deals? The Sky Copper Deal was incredibly good (& then paying for upgrade to fibre) but that expired a couple of weeks ago.Perfect time for me to get out as in an 18 month contract with the price going up anyway after 12 months.EDIT: Seen your SSE post. Might see what Plusnet offer on retentions first though & take the £25.49 offer or slightly better. I can only get around 15MB fibre anyway due to where I live

Not sure if i should move to SSE but its the cheapest out there so worth using for negotiations, let us know what you get offered

julieallen

Not sure if i should move to SSE but its the cheapest out there so worth … Not sure if i should move to SSE but its the cheapest out there so worth using for negotiations, let us know what you get offered

I'll just hang fire for the price rise email in case they can tell whether I should have got it already Did you get your email today?
I wonder if they are now rather busy?
"Online chat is currently unavailable, please choose another option." <-- When searching "Thinking of Leaving"

Original Poster

In case anyone wants to try for the same deal I got offered

Joel:
Not a problem, so all you would need to do is place the order with your new provider. They would notify us that they are taking the services over which would take 10 workings days. Just to let you know you are on a great deal with us at the moment!
Me: ok thanks, and I won't get any early termination charges? And yes, but SSE's deal is much better I'm afraid
Joel:
No their wouldn't be any early termination charges. Let me see if i could do a similar deal for yourself
Me: ok thanks, its the 76mb, unlimited calls £21
Joel:
No problem
Joel:
We would be able to do Unlimited fibre 40mb at £7.50 per month. Line rental at £17.99 per month + Anytime calls free for the 18 months on an 18 month contract. A monthly total of £25.49. Unfortunately we can only do this deal on the 40mb fibre
Me: so half the speed for 20% more? No thanks but thanks for trying
Joel:
Not a problem
Joel:
Well Ive got the contract and discounts removed for you

Original Poster

Firefly1

I'll just hang fire for the price rise email in case they can tell … I'll just hang fire for the price rise email in case they can tell whether I should have got it already Did you get your email today? I wonder if they are now rather busy?"Online chat is currently unavailable, please choose another option." <-- When searching "Thinking of Leaving"

yes but on the plusnet forum it seems others got them yesterday too

I'm on the 24/7 unlimited call plan but only on the normal unlimited broadband so would this apply to me as I haven't had an email yet

Agent004

I'm on the 24/7 unlimited call plan but only on the normal unlimited … I'm on the 24/7 unlimited call plan but only on the normal unlimited broadband so would this apply to me as I haven't had an email yet

According to the opening post, the price of broadband isn't changing. Line Rental & Anytime calls are changing and it is those that allow you to leave. I haven't got the email yet either

They're crafty like that, I bet the broadband price will go up a couple of months later, shame cos otherwise I've always found the customer service and reliability very good

I am on the 76Mbps package with weekend and evenings only and pay £19pm
My line rental has gone up and I just paid £185 for the whole year.

Need to do some digginga round about the upload speed reduction

can't get sse in Northern Ireland

Original Poster

heres a little more info on new stuff in case anyone wants to stay and maybe include it in the negotiations

Cutting the cost of calling mobiles

We know lots of our customers make calls to mobiles, so we're launching two new call plans which include UK mobile calls to any network.

1. Anytime UK Landline & Mobile Calls £8.00 per month. Includes calls of up to an hour to UK landlines beginning with 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 and calls to UK Mobile numbers at any time. Fair usage limit of 2,000 minutes applies. Hang up and re-dial before 60 minutes and you won’t be charged.

2. Evening and Weekend UK Landline & Mobile Calls £4.00 per month. Includes calls of up to an hour to UK landlines beginning with 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 and calls to UK Mobile numbers made Monday-Friday 19:00-07:00 and any time Saturday or Sunday. Fair usage limit of 1,000 minutes applies.
Hang up and re-dial before 60 minutes and you won’t be charged.

Investing in our products and services means that from time to time we have to make changes to our services and increase our prices, so we’re making some changes to our packages and prices from 1st September.

We will be increasing our line rental monthly cost from £16.99 to £17.99 per month but we’ve frozen the price of our Line Rental Saver, so this will now be even better value for money. The LRS stays at equivalent of (£15.49/pm), £185.88 for the year saving £30.

The price of solus unlimited broadband is increasing from £12.49 per month to £13.49 per month. However if customers add phone to their order, this will make the service cheaper overall as dual play broadband costs from £2.50 per month.

We will be increasing the call set-up fees for all call plans. This will increase from 16p to 19p and is now in-line with BT. We will also be harmonising geographical rates and mobile rates. This will now be 12.54p for both rates as it was 10p for geographical and 13p for mobiles. There will be no changes to international or non-geographical rates.

We will start communicating price changes to existing customers from 27th June and the changes will come into effect on 1st September.
Please feel free to get in touch if you require any further guidance on these changes.

I got this email yesterday. Wanted to move to another company anyway. Thinking EE as they charge £27 p/m but for plusnet i pay £32.49. Also topcashback are offering £93.50

I contacted them on live chat. Was advised no termination fee but would be charged a £30 cessation fee if I was moving my phone to anyone other than bt!
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 1st Jul 2016

i did ring them and they said they're sending out the emails over a 5 week period from the last week of june until the end of july. the only thing stopping me jumping ship now and just giving notice when the email arrives is that i want to port my number over to whoever i go to - most likely SSE with their £21 a month deal.

what peoples views on sse - afew months they where plagued with problems and appaling customer service.

i may move to talktalk as they will be 20p cheaper than crapnet and i will be able to get £60 cashback from quidco and if talktalk reinstate their loveshop voucher it will be even better

I take it the upload speed change is on their more expensive fibre package? The lower one was already dire at 2mb.

I thought they may have upped their 38mb fibre to 50mb, to match BT. Looks like they are ruining upload speeds further to compensation.

Happy enough with Sky so far. If you badger them about SSE prices, they won't match them but they will drop a fiver a month. If that helps anyone.
Edited by: "MSK." 2nd Jul 2016

takethatfan1978

I contacted them on live chat. Was advised no termination fee but would … I contacted them on live chat. Was advised no termination fee but would be charged a £30 cessation fee if I was moving my phone to anyone other than bt!

Sounds really iffy, those two words mean essentially the same thing!. I moved from Plusnet to sky albeit out of contract and there was no such fee a couple of months ago. I would kick up a fuss about that.

kick_u_in_the_nuts

what peoples views on sse - afew months they where plagued with problems … what peoples views on sse - afew months they where plagued with problems and appaling customer service.i may move to talktalk as they will be 20p cheaper than crapnet and i will be able to get £60 cashback from quidco and if talktalk reinstate their loveshop voucher it will be even better

i'm also looking to move to SSE for the £21 a month deal. there does seem to be a lot of negative feedback on them, but i've also found plenty of positive reviews - obviously you have to take a lot of this stuff with a pinch of salt as a lot of these companies aren't above getting their staff to write positive reviews for them.

But then i've switched services on most things often enough myself to know what to expect and i've switched to companies before that have had terrible online feedback and i've found them to be perfectly ok.

It's currently £70 cashback on Quidco to switch to SSE.

moneysavingkitten

If you badger them about SSE prices, they won't match them but they will … If you badger them about SSE prices, they won't match them but they will drop a fiver a month. If that helps anyone.

I tried that a few days ago and even with a discount, they couldn't get close to £21 a month - the nearest they could get was £35.
Edited by: "HankHandsome" 3rd Jul 2016

Original Poster

HankHandsome

i'm also looking to move to SSE for the £21 a month deal. there does … i'm also looking to move to SSE for the £21 a month deal. there does seem to be a lot of negative feedback on them, but i've also found plenty of positive reviews - obviously you have to take a lot of this stuff with a pinch of salt as a lot of these companies aren't above getting their staff to write positive reviews for them.But then i've switched services on most things often enough myself to know what to expect and i've switched to companies before that have had terrible online feedback and i've found them to be perfectly ok.It's currently £70 cashback on Quidco to switch to SSE.

£77 on TCB if you are a plus member, I signed up the other day.
Thing with reviews is, if you have 1000 customers & 900 have no problems, but 100 have a problem, you will find more people will write reviews about the problems than will about no problems, because if someone is angry they want to vent, and will google 'sse problems' then add their comments, whereas if you have no problems, no one googles 'SSE no problems'.
The main problems seem to be the traffic management, and seems to be mainly torrents on an evening. The second one tends to be installation dates and Openreach appointments. That happens with any provider, and BT themselves have terrible reviews.

I've signed up for SSE to give them a go, simply because plusnet wouldn't match them, I wasn't even bothered about the extra speed, if plusnet had said £22 and stay on 38mb (going up to 52mb) I would have stayed, but but £4.50 a month extra for less speed and less upload speed, I'd rather move.

julieallen

£77 on TCB if you are a plus member, I signed up the other day.Thing with … £77 on TCB if you are a plus member, I signed up the other day.Thing with reviews is, if you have 1000 customers & 900 have no problems, but 100 have a problem, you will find more people will write reviews about the problems than will about no problems, because if someone is angry they want to vent, and will google 'sse problems' then add their comments, whereas if you have no problems, no one googles 'SSE no problems'.The main problems seem to be the traffic management, and seems to be mainly torrents on an evening. The second one tends to be installation dates and Openreach appointments. That happens with any provider, and BT themselves have terrible reviews.I've signed up for SSE to give them a go, simply because plusnet wouldn't match them, I wasn't even bothered about the extra speed, if plusnet had said £22 and stay on 38mb (going up to 52mb) I would have stayed, but but £4.50 a month extra for less speed and less upload speed, I'd rather move.

I most certainly agree about the ratio of negative to positive reviews. I suppose it probably plays a part in why people are so sceptical about the positive reviews, especially if they're on a site where, as you've said, people just go to vent about their problems. Ten scathing reviews and one that pops up saying "actually, i found them to be absolutely fine" and you're naturally going to be suspicious.

The traffic management is neither here nor there for me at the moment. I haven't really had any major issues with that with plusnet over the past 8 months so I don't anticipate any with SSE. The main issue i'll likely have is if i'm watching the football on a saturday afternoon online :).

The installation date issue is the main reason i'm considering signing up with them now though, ahead of actually receiving the plusnet notification of the price rises. If it's going to take a few weeks, I'd probably rather do it now so at least i won't have that long to wait when the plusnet contract ends.

#edit

well i've pulled the trigger and signed up. the welcome email says "over the next 3 weeks" so that should hopefully be plenty of time to get the plusnet notification. it might mean i can't port my landline number over but that's not the end of the world. i noticed that the "ultrafast" fibre was the same £21 price as the "superfast" so went with that. Went through Quidco in the end as well, so hope that tracks - been waiting on almost £100 of cashback for months now.

#edit 2

Quidco tracked. Nice
Edited by: "HankHandsome" 3rd Jul 2016

Our upload has been crap lately with plusnet, It looks like a good time to get them on the phone and ask for something more

I'm on the 80/20 Mb/s package and am really pleased with it but moving providers every 12-18 months is cheaper due to new customer offers and cashback deals. I had to recontract for 24 months recently but might skedaddle if they put my prices up.

Original Poster

anyone been offered anything decent to stay with them?

julieallen

anyone been offered anything decent to stay with them?

My deal is £17/mo for 80/20 Mb/s rather than the standard £20/mo but with a 24 month contract. Better than nothing but not great.

I got the email yesterday, most likely to move to SSE too. since I moved to plusnet half year ago,I'd been lucky to just get 2 Mbps download speed, and the line drop every hour . can't wait to leave.

q04yy

HankHandsome

I most certainly agree about the ratio of negative to positive reviews. … I most certainly agree about the ratio of negative to positive reviews. I suppose it probably plays a part in why people are so sceptical about the positive reviews, especially if they're on a site where, as you've said, people just go to vent about their problems. Ten scathing reviews and one that pops up saying "actually, i found them to be absolutely fine" and you're naturally going to be suspicious.The traffic management is neither here nor there for me at the moment. I haven't really had any major issues with that with plusnet over the past 8 months so I don't anticipate any with SSE. The main issue i'll likely have is if i'm watching the football on a saturday afternoon online :).The installation date issue is the main reason i'm considering signing up with them now though, ahead of actually receiving the plusnet notification of the price rises. If it's going to take a few weeks, I'd probably rather do it now so at least i won't have that long to wait when the plusnet contract ends.#editwell i've pulled the trigger and signed up. the welcome email says "over the next 3 weeks" so that should hopefully be plenty of time to get the plusnet notification. it might mean i can't port my landline number over but that's not the end of the world. i noticed that the "ultrafast" fibre was the same £21 price as the "superfast" so went with that. Went through Quidco in the end as well, so hope that tracks - been waiting on almost £100 of cashback for months now.#edit 2Quidco tracked. Nice

How do you switch broadband provider through Quidco? Just place an order with the new provider? and how to pick a date to switch?

humorleung

How do you switch broadband provider through Quidco? Just place an order … How do you switch broadband provider through Quidco? Just place an order with the new provider? and how to pick a date to switch?

Basically you use Quidco as you normally would for any other purchase. Make sure you clear your cookies and disable any adblockers and then find SSE Broadband on Quidco and click "Get Cashback".

Go through the process of signing up for SSE on their site and once you get the confirmation email, that's it.

I don't necessarily think you get to pick a particular date - i certainly didn't when i signed up - but they do say in the email it'll take about 3 weeks.

I'm expecting them to ring me at some point to confirm it's still happening. At least I hope so !

WOOHOOOOOO !!

Got the notification email literally a few seconds ago. Time to get on the phone

HankHandsome

Basically you use Quidco as you normally would for any other purchase. … Basically you use Quidco as you normally would for any other purchase. Make sure you clear your cookies and disable any adblockers and then find SSE Broadband on Quidco and click "Get Cashback".Go through the process of signing up for SSE on their site and once you get the confirmation email, that's it.I don't necessarily think you get to pick a particular date - i certainly didn't when i signed up - but they do say in the email it'll take about 3 weeks.I'm expecting them to ring me at some point to confirm it's still happening. At least I hope so !

​Oh, thanks, so when you sign up do you have the option to say you are switching from other provider?

humorleung

​Oh, thanks, so when you sign up do you have the option to say you are s … ​Oh, thanks, so when you sign up do you have the option to say you are switching from other provider?

i don't think so - i can't remember if i had to state that i was currently with plusnet, but i'm fairly sure i didn't as it was treated as a new purchase.

Still no email for me..

Just received the new router from SSE today. my speed is so slow,can't wait to leave plusnet .

I'm on a yearly line rental package + free bb, can I cancel now and get refund for remaining duration? (I did get price increase email)

kiish

I'm on a yearly line rental package + free bb, can I cancel now and get … I'm on a yearly line rental package + free bb, can I cancel now and get refund for remaining duration? (I did get price increase email)

As you have already paid line rental up front the price increase will not affect you, on that basis I would say no. At the end of your contract period, you can do what you like.

winchman

As you have already paid line rental up front the price increase will not … As you have already paid line rental up front the price increase will not affect you, on that basis I would say no. At the end of your contract period, you can do what you like.

IF It's free broadband for 12 months, on an 18 month contract, he can cancel. I had this issue with TalkTalk - took a bit of persuasion but got there in the end

Firefly1

IF It's free broadband for 12 months, on an 18 month contract, he can … IF It's free broadband for 12 months, on an 18 month contract, he can cancel. I had this issue with TalkTalk - took a bit of persuasion but got there in the end

I'm going on the fact he's said it's a yearly package. Those 18 month deals i think are a con to try and keep you in contract. But yes if he is on a 18 month line rental deal, worth getting yourself free. I was looking for a non fibre deal, but not much around.

winchman

I'm going on the fact he's said it's a yearly package. Those 18 month … I'm going on the fact he's said it's a yearly package. Those 18 month deals i think are a con to try and keep you in contract. But yes if he is on a 18 month line rental deal, worth getting yourself free. I was looking for a non fibre deal, but not much around.

I think PlusNet will only let you pay for 12 months line rental anyway (he said yearly line rental package) - even if you are on an 18 month broadband package.
I'm on an 18 month contract with PlusNet and my 12 month line rental expires in a couple of months. Got the price increase email a couple of days ago, so I am going to contact Plusnet today and see what they offer to keep me.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 21st Jul 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants