Cancellation Fitness First within first week! How?

9 replies
Found 12th Jun 2009
I have just registered with Fitness First Platinum on 10/06/09 at £39 per month in 3 months contract. My first direct debit will be at 1st of July but I have to pay £50 first and get full refund when I attend the club more than 7 times within the rest of June. So, the rest of this month is free. The thing is I have just got a deal from another branch which is much cheaper and in Black label class. I would like to cancel the contract but the manger in the first branch said that I cant cancel as I am in contract already. I think I should have something like peace of mind to cencel it. Will I also get £50 back automatically or I still need to attend 7 times before I ask for cancellation?

Please help me!

9 Comments

Original Poster

Oop! I have just seen this???

What is "10 day comfort guarantee voucher"? I found it at the back of terms. Do I need that kind of voucher to cancel it?

The contractual cooling off period will likely be 7 calendar days from date of signing.

]Try cancelling online, thus bypassing the local branch manager.

Extract from their websie...

Termination by you
3.4 If you are dissatisfied with the service offered by us for any reason within the first
10 days of becoming a member, with the exception of start up fees which are not
refundable, you are entitled to a refund of any membership fees paid subject to
presenting the 10-day comfort guarantee voucher at your Home Club during that
10 day period.

3.5 During the minimum contract period of membership, you are unable to cancel
your membership, other than i) where we are in material and continued breach
of contract; or ii) due to genuine and relevant medical reasons (supporting
professional documentation must be supplied).

3.6 You must: i) meet with the General Manager or Member Service Manager of
your Home Club and complete a Cancellation Request Form; or ii) give written
notice to your Home Club General Manager. We recommend you post your
letter by recorded delivery to ensure notice of termination is received.

3.7 You are required to give 1 month’s notice of termination which will commence
on the first day of the following month and expire on the last day of that month
except this does not apply to clause 3.4 and except where you are within the
minimum contract period where notice may be given to coincide with the end
of that period.

3.8 We are entitled to retain any membership fees where you have not cancelled your
direct debit instruction with your bank and you have not given valid notice to the
extent that such membership fees cover our losses in respect of our contract with you.

]Link to full terms

Original Poster

Thank you for your message 'Summoner'.
Do you know what the 10 day comfort guarantee voucher is?

symbian;5470889

Thank you for your message 'Summoner'.Do you know what the 10 day comfort … Thank you for your message 'Summoner'.Do you know what the 10 day comfort guarantee voucher is?

Might be a special cancellation form for people canceling within 10days. Ask at the club's reception desk or better yet, give their HQ a call on 01202 845000

Original Poster

Thank you again 'Summoner'.
What about £50 that I pay upfront? I think I still have to attend the gym 7 times before making cancellation.

symbian;5471665

Thank you again 'Summoner'.What about £50 that I pay upfront? I think I … Thank you again 'Summoner'.What about £50 that I pay upfront? I think I still have to attend the gym 7 times before making cancellation.

The admin fee is non refundable (also I think you didn't actually pay one!?). The £50 for the "free" first month you will get refunded (or maybe just £39, since that is your monthly membership fee) - I think. Reading small prints give me a headache.

Call the ******s, talk to them. Be polite, but persistent.

If they tell you to talk your local gym manager, insist that they deal with your cancellation, since you have lost your faith in the honesty of the local manager.

Original Poster

It mentioned in the paper as 'Body First', not the admin fee but they said I have to attend 7 times to get full refund. That makes me worry.

Thanks a lot for your helpful.

symbian;5475472

It mentioned in the paper as 'Body First', not the admin fee but they … It mentioned in the paper as 'Body First', not the admin fee but they said I have to attend 7 times to get full refund. That makes me worry. Thanks a lot for your helpful.

Attend 7 times in the first 10days? Naaa..... did you speak to them?

The 7 times rule is in order to get the first month free, in your 90 day minimum contract period.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;5477868

Attend 7 times in the first 10days? Naaa..... did you speak to them?

I talked to them at the gym but they said that I have to make an appointment. So, it is going to be this Monday that I'll talk. I think after I talk to them, I'm gonna fill the cancellation form from the link that you gave me as well. I just need information as much as I can before talking to them because my friend went alone earlier and he was refused to cancel. They gave the reason that it has to one month notice in 3 months contract. 'You're in contract already'. 'So, you cant cancel it'. My friend doesnt know anything about the Terms. Then, he went back home desperately.

SUMMONER;5477868

The 7 times rule is in order to get the first month free, in your 90 day … The 7 times rule is in order to get the first month free, in your 90 day minimum contract period.

Do you mean if I can cancel the contract, 'Body First' fee will be refunded automatically as it actually a part of the contract? Anyway, the way that I have to get it back is I have to register online only.

fitnessfirst.co.uk/mon…spx

When I register it, I can access to another similar page but they gonna ask another question, 'How many times have you visited the club?' I am actually able to click 7 and submit it but I think I should wait unil the last day to complete it. Does it actually check?

It seems to be a long boring conversation but this is very important for me and my friends. Thanks for everyone help especially 'Summoner'.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Unidays11
    2. I5 7600k vs i5 740022
    3. Topcashback trick or treat cashback giveaway23
    4. disneyland paris tickets44

See more discussions