Cancelled Sky: Options going forward

Posted 20th Jan
So, after 15 years of having the full package with Sky, I've finally cancelled the lot. They were looking to increase my bill from 79 to 119, and for something I watch less than 10 times a month, it's just not worth it. Looking for a bit of advice for people who are, or have been in this situation.

Now that Sky request their boxes back, how do you get channels to your TV when you are sans aerial? Android box? Fire stick? Freesat? I was thinking the most simple option is sourcing my own Q box from Ebay, but are these guaranteed to work indefinitely for only freeview channels?

Could I get some sort of adapter to just run the existing Sky cable into the back of my TV? or is the signal different?

What do you do for sport? Is there actually a legal way to watch things like Super League, F1 & football(PL & CL) without a Sky subscription?

Last question is regarding internet. Virgin have put cable down in the footpath, so it's due to go live quite soon I imagine. The first 10 houses on my street can be selected for installation and they were done a couple of weeks before my part of the street. I don't think my phone's 4g connection will be sufficient to run Netflix and 30gb will disappear rather quickly. Would you wait for Virgin to go live and manage with your phone's internet (slow, not unlimited data), get a rolling monthly fibre connection (seem quite expensive compared to speeds) or just sign up with a provider like BT for 12 months?

Cheers.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
*cough iptv cough*
41 Comments
First check if your TV has built in Freeview. If it does consider buying an indoor aerial. If you live in a strong reception area you will pick up most of the Freeview channels, some in HD.
Buy an aerial for £10/12 , no point in getting an expensive one. If the reception is good in your area than that is the deciding factor not how super duper the aerial is.
Consider getting a non long term contract SIM unlimited data & wait for virgin
Also if you get a firestick you can download TVPlayer and watch live channels.
Smart do an unlimited 1 month contract for £25
39720127-6lVZa.jpg
Edited by: "adamderak" 20th Jan
Freesat will plug in to your dish and you can do it that way which would allow you to still record and pause etc
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 20th Jan
adamderak20/01/2020 14:32

...Smart do an unlimited 1 month contract for £25

Voxi unmetered data £10/m no contract option prefereable if OPs local Voda signal is decent, until Voxi graduates counting college.
*cough iptv cough*
I’d avoid sourcing your own Q box from EBay. As you rightly say they now ask for these back so where would the EBay box have come from? You’ll probably find out when you try to activate it and it is flagged as stolen. To get the free channels easiest way is to pick up a Sky+HD box (available cheaply & legitimately from many sources). You’ll need to swap over the LNB on your dish but again that isn’t too expensive.

Regarding your other questions:

Adapter - no sorry but not an option. The Sky cable runs to your box, then your box to the TV. You need the box in place with a valid viewing card.

Sport: You could do it with a NOW TV subscription. It’s expensive but if it’s only certain things you want to watch it can be worth it.

Internet: Only you can decide this one. If you are planning to stream video then you’ll need a hefty connection. Might be worth contacting Virgin to see if they have a go live date for your address.
As you have Sky Q - unless they installed a hybrid LNB at the time, you'd need to change that. If you have a hybrid LNB then an old Sky+ box will do TV, or you can buy Freesat recorders.

When we left Sky (pre Sky Q era) we just swapped in a Humax Freesat box, kept Sky for broadband, and used Netflix and Amazon Prime. Saved us about £50 a month, and the only thing I miss is Sky Sports F1.
I cancelled sky many years ago and also my tv licence. I now have turkey Netflix 4k £5pm, student prime £3pm, fire tv box with kodi. I also get now tv passes when super cheap also sky sports mobile pass always £1pm, sky movies £2pm, sky entertainment £2pm but not every month. Then with all other free tv options I have far more than I had with sky. (Also bt sport free with ee). I now pay about the same as a tv licence cost but with mass of stuff to watch.
Firestick and iptv, jobs a good un.
toonsquirel20/01/2020 16:06

I cancelled sky many years ago and also my tv licence. I now have turkey …I cancelled sky many years ago and also my tv licence. I now have turkey Netflix 4k £5pm, student prime £3pm, fire tv box with kodi. I also get now tv passes when super cheap also sky sports mobile pass always £1pm, sky movies £2pm, sky entertainment £2pm but not every month. Then with all other free tv options I have far more than I had with sky. (Also bt sport free with ee). I now pay about the same as a tv licence cost but with mass of stuff to watch.

Oh go on then... we haven't had one of these discussions for a while...

[ tvlicensing.co.uk/che…nce ]
---
...The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
---

I read that to mean that you need a TV Licence if you use Now TV &/or Amazon Prime Video (like you do).

Also see:
[ tvlicensing.co.uk/che…one ]

39721273-WaQbc.jpg
deleted1781220/01/2020 17:17

Oh go on then... we haven't had one of these discussions for a while...[ …Oh go on then... we haven't had one of these discussions for a while...[ https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence ]---...The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to: watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.) download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.---I read that to mean that you need a TV Licence if you use Now TV &/or Amazon Prime Video (like you do).Also see:[ https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one ][Image]

Not true you don’t need a tv licence to watch prime, Netflix or now tv. I’m 100% sure if this. You need it to watch the live channels in now tv or prime but I never watch live I just watch them all on demand. Only thing you need tv licence for that’s not live tv is iPlayer since BBC’s own it. So many people now don’t bother with tv licence you’d be surprised.
toonsquirel20/01/2020 17:22

Not true you don’t need a tv licence to watch prime, Netflix or now tv. I …Not true you don’t need a tv licence to watch prime, Netflix or now tv. I’m 100% sure if this. You need it to watch the live channels in now tv or prime but I never watch live I just watch them all on demand. Only thing you need tv licence for that’s not live tv is iPlayer since BBC’s own it. So many people now don’t bother with tv licence you’d be surprised.

I would not be surprised (as we, as a community, must visit this topic at least twice a year), but I presumed that would be your (or the general) response, hence why I posted the information on the TV Licensing site.

Why are you 100% sure that your opinion is the complete opposite of what is posted (above)?
deleted1781220/01/2020 18:12

I would not be surprised (as we, as a community, must visit this topic at …I would not be surprised (as we, as a community, must visit this topic at least twice a year), but I presumed that would be your (or the general) response, hence why I posted the information on the TV Licensing site.Why are you 100% sure that your opinion is the complete opposite of what is posted (above)?

If you read what you posted above it actually says exactly the same as what I said. It just words it to try and scare people into getting tv licence by mentioning things like now tv needing licence, but if you read it property it’s only if you watch love tv through these, live tv is pointless though as everything that’s on live is available on demand right after it finishes live and not only is it perfectly legal to watch it on demand without licence it also means no adverts to watch either.

Where have I said anything opposite though?? I’ve basically said exactly what it says which is that you don’t need a tv licence for now tv or Netflix or prime.
Reading this thread with great interest.

From what I can tell, TV licence is required for all BBC/iPlayer content, and live TV from wherever

Catch-up TV and non-live TV (such as Netflix) are all exempt from the TV Licence.
Edited by: "solid" 20th Jan
We cancelled our sky package several years ago and now use a mix of Netflix and buy now TV passes to watch as we want. Might also add Disney+ when available in the UK.
toonsquirel20/01/2020 18:21

If you read what you posted above it actually says exactly the same as …If you read what you posted above it actually says exactly the same as what I said. It just words it to try and scare people into getting tv licence by mentioning things like now tv needing licence, but if you read it property it’s only if you watch love tv through these, live tv is pointless though as everything that’s on live is available on demand right after it finishes live and not only is it perfectly legal to watch it on demand without licence it also means no adverts to watch either.Where have I said anything opposite though?? I’ve basically said exactly what it says which is that you don’t need a tv licence for now tv or Netflix or prime.

I did read it before I posted the content from those two pages; thank you.

You did not verify if you were watching live TV on the streaming services, or not.

You have now confirmed you are not.
solid20/01/2020 18:31

Reading this thread with great interest.From what I can tell, TV licence …Reading this thread with great interest.From what I can tell, TV licence is required for all BBC/iPlayer content, and live TV from wherever Catch-up TV and non-live TV (such as Netflix) are all exempt from the TV Licence.

Yes, that is the case. Some Amazon Prime content is live, for example, Sports coverage, so you need to take care there.
If the TV license goons from Capita find a mother alone at home with their kids they will try to insist that any online viewing requires a license - even if it's netflix. They did exactly that with my sister and only scarpered when she got on the phone to her partner at work. Utter slimeballs.
anthony.james20/01/2020 19:48

If the TV license goons from Capita find a mother alone at home with their …If the TV license goons from Capita find a mother alone at home with their kids they will try to insist that any online viewing requires a license - even if it's netflix. They did exactly that with my sister and only scarpered when she got on the phone to her partner at work. Utter slimeballs.

Since 2002, Capita Business Services have been responsible for administration and enforcement of the TV Licence fee.

I would find it hard to believe that they specifically targeted a mother at home with children, but it does sound like the internal education programme needs some work.

Did your sister (or her partner) make a formal complaint?
Do you have a friend who would share their Sky login or BT Sport? Certain smart tvs will allow BT Sport app allowing you to watch sport, or with a Play Station 4 you could watch Sky.

As above a now tv box or app on a smart tv might be a good start, there are always offers on here to get a cheap pass.
So the consensus is it's a PITA due to the Sky Q set-up. As I have a PC linked to my TV, can I get apps on that like the ones people use on the Fire sticks? If so, which are the best ones?
Danze198420/01/2020 20:34

So the consensus is it's a PITA due to the Sky Q set-up. As I have a PC …So the consensus is it's a PITA due to the Sky Q set-up. As I have a PC linked to my TV, can I get apps on that like the ones people use on the Fire sticks? If so, which are the best ones?

You can use kodi for iptv and other things on a pc but seriously; just invest in a 4k firestick(even if you don't have a 4k tv) you won't regret it.
deleted1781220/01/2020 19:57

Since 2002, Capita Business Services have been responsible for …Since 2002, Capita Business Services have been responsible for administration and enforcement of the TV Licence fee.I would find it hard to believe that they specifically targeted a mother at home with children, but it does sound like the internal education programme needs some work.Did your sister (or her partner) make a formal complaint?

You appear very sheltered and far too trusting of corporations like this who already have a dreadful reputation. The Capita visitor to my sister was obviously an opportunist who saw a potential easy mark. There was no active TV license at the address. Who knows, maybe they're on a bonus for TV license signups - whether the resident legally needs one or not.

And her partner isn't the "Formal complaint" type of bloke. The next capita goon who turns up when her partner is home is hopefully a fast runner.

Maybe you need to stop viewing these money grubbing companies through such rose tinted spectacles.

I mean it isn't hard. You only have to google the words "Capita Scandals" and there is a plethora of stuff that would blow your socks off if you think they're so innocent.
Edited by: "anthony.james" 21st Jan
jez79421/01/2020 14:46

You can use kodi for iptv and other things on a pc but seriously; just …You can use kodi for iptv and other things on a pc but seriously; just invest in a 4k firestick(even if you don't have a 4k tv) you won't regret it.

The contant stuttering from live streams makes IPTV almost impossible. Unless I'm missing something.
deleted1781220/01/2020 19:57

Since 2002, Capita Business Services have been responsible for …Since 2002, Capita Business Services have been responsible for administration and enforcement of the TV Licence fee.I would find it hard to believe that they specifically targeted a mother at home with children, but it does sound like the internal education programme needs some work.Did your sister (or her partner) make a formal complaint?

anthony.james21/01/2020 19:10

You appear very sheltered and far too trusting of corporations like this …You appear very sheltered and far too trusting of corporations like this who already have a dreadful reputation. The Capita visitor to my sister was obviously an opportunist who saw a potential easy mark. There was no active TV license at the address. Who knows, maybe they're on a bonus for TV license signups - whether the resident legally needs one or not.And her partner isn't the "Formal complaint" type of bloke. The next capita goon who turns up when her partner is home is hopefully a fast runner.Maybe you need to stop viewing these money grubbing companies through such rose tinted spectacles.I mean it isn't hard. You only have to google the words "Capita Scandals" and there is a plethora of stuff that would blow your socks off if you think they're so innocent.

Sorry, no; I have a friend that used to work for Capita & he had (& still has) nothing but bad words to say about them.

PS. Licence.
Edited by: "fanpages" 21st Jan
anthony.james21/01/2020 19:15

The contant stuttering from live streams makes IPTV almost impossible. …The contant stuttering from live streams makes IPTV almost impossible. Unless I'm missing something.

You need to get a better service then, either iptv or your isp, there are other ways too such as going legit with a vpn.
My Sky just ended last week. They's already sent me two emails offering Sky Entertainment, Sky Sports and Sky Movies for £30/month for 18 months. HD is £1/month. Kids £1/month. Box sets £1/month. Netflix + Box Sets £12/month.

Might be worth asking if that's in your price bracket, but possibly only available once you have left.
MonkeyMan9020/01/2020 14:44

Freesat will plug in to your dish and you can do it that way which would …Freesat will plug in to your dish and you can do it that way which would allow you to still record and pause etc

Freesat? Is this on a sky dish?
toonsquirel20/01/2020 16:06

I cancelled sky many years ago and also my tv licence. I now have turkey …I cancelled sky many years ago and also my tv licence. I now have turkey Netflix 4k £5pm, student prime £3pm, fire tv box with kodi. I also get now tv passes when super cheap also sky sports mobile pass always £1pm, sky movies £2pm, sky entertainment £2pm but not every month. Then with all other free tv options I have far more than I had with sky. (Also bt sport free with ee). I now pay about the same as a tv licence cost but with mass of stuff to watch.

My TV license is due for renewal.
How do I overcome paying for this legitimately?
I have a out of contract SKY box with free channels. We do watch BBCi player a lot as my child watches her cartoon otherwise don’t really watch TV!
ruheluddin8603/02/2020 01:01

My TV license is due for renewal. How do I overcome paying for this …My TV license is due for renewal. How do I overcome paying for this legitimately? I have a out of contract SKY box with free channels. We do watch BBCi player a lot as my child watches her cartoon otherwise don’t really watch TV!

You need a tv license to watch live tv in the uk - from any broadcaster via any platform (web, aerial etc) on any device. You don’t need a license if you only watch on demand or catchup tv - not including iPlayer which you still need a license to use.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 3rd Feb
captainbeaky03/02/2020 09:57

You need a tv license to watch live tv in the uk - from any broadcaster …You need a tv license to watch live tv in the uk - from any broadcaster via any platform (web, aerial etc) on any device. You don’t need a license if you only watch on demand or catchup tv - not including iPlayer which you still need a license to use.

Damn! Tv license is a bloody rip off!
MonkeyMan9003/02/2020 08:41

Yes

As long as it's not a Sky Q only one - needs to be standard, or hybrid to work with current Freesat boxes. And the only current Freesat boxes are non-recording. (Humax stopped making them last October according to various forums - and the new boxes due 2019 still haven't appeared). Non-Freesat EPG boxes also available.
Edited by: "alg" 3rd Feb
MonkeyMan9003/02/2020 08:41

Yes

I still have old Sky box n dish. Where do I buy Freesat from to save n record channels?
ruheluddin8603/02/2020 14:54

I still have old Sky box n dish. Where do I buy Freesat from to save n …I still have old Sky box n dish. Where do I buy Freesat from to save n record channels?

If you have a pre-Sky Q dish, then look for Humax HDR-1100S - these allow recording, and you can set up an online account to allow remote setting through web or app. However, as I mentioned earlier, these are no longer manufactured according to reports, so they are getting more difficult to find in stores. They did various sizes from 500GB to 2TB is disk size.

Places like Argos, Currys, John Lewis used to have them.
ruheluddin8603/02/2020 14:54

I still have old Sky box n dish. Where do I buy Freesat from to save n …I still have old Sky box n dish. Where do I buy Freesat from to save n record channels?

amazon.co.uk/Hum…8-3

Or if you don't want a recorder they can be had for about £80. Or you could plug a hdd in to a non recorder which will make it record
MonkeyMan9003/02/2020 15:20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-HDR-1100S-Freesat-Freetime-Recorder/dp/B0104SY71K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=freesat&qid=1580743040&sr=8-3Or if you don't want a recorder they can be had for about £80. Or you could plug a hdd in to a non recorder which will make it record

Did you see the price? To quote from the page - "New & Used (3) from £399.00 + FREE Shipping". Or if you just want a simple single input without recording, there's the Manhattan SX box, which is nice for under £50.
alg03/02/2020 15:33

Did you see the price? To quote from the page - "New & Used (3) from …Did you see the price? To quote from the page - "New & Used (3) from £399.00 + FREE Shipping". Or if you just want a simple single input without recording, there's the Manhattan SX box, which is nice for under £50.

That's why I suggested the non recorder version
MonkeyMan9003/02/2020 15:36

That's why I suggested the non recorder version

And the Humax non-recorder does do smart stuff, like Netflix too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants