Cancelled Virgin Media...will they call with a better deal?

Posted 24th Jun 2019
I've just cancelled Virgin Media broadband, TV and phone. I don't use the TV or phone so I was essentially paying £41 a month for 100MB internet, which seemed like a rip-off. If I'm honest, I'm surprised they didn't do more to keep me. They offered to reduce the price to £36 but it seems very expensive compared to various ~£28 per month deals for 66MB broadband in my area.

So...what should I do next? My contract ends in just over a month so I've got a bit of time to play with. Should I hang on a while to see if they call back with a better deal? If so, how long? Or should I just proceed with signing up with a new supplier?

I'm concerned that I might sign up with a new supplier (probably PlusNet based on research so far), then get a call from Virgin with a reduced price and be too late to back-out with the new supplier.

To be clear, I'm happy to exit Virgin if I don't get a better price, but would also be happy to stay if they can knock the price down a bit further.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
The call back I got was a worse offer than the initial retentions guy had offered, so don't bank on the sorts of amazing deals they used to provide. I'd get a backup plan ready just in case, and take out any deal with a new provider in the last 14 days of your notice period, so that you can cancel under cooling-off if Virgin do make you a good offer before they cut you off.
Probably then again, Probably not. If you're very lucky you may get an offer 2 weeks AFTER the 30 day cancellation notice had expired and you're with a new provider....like I did

Still makes me chuckle now. How stupid can you get...!?
Edited by: "StonkwellBogtrotter" 24th Jun 2019
Wouldnt really say 100Mb/s for £36/month (with whatever TV, phone) is that bad of a price.

I pay £89/month for 350Mb/s and full TV and phone.

Albeit, I did get £150 odd cashback and £150 bill credit at the start of the contract.
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 24th Jun 2019
They didn’t ring me back. My mrs just signed up as a new customer so we got the new customer discount
you have to have advertising (or whatever it's called) enabled on your account

btw I managed to get 100mbit for 24 BB only (was paying 26 for 50 prior)
Edited by: "mtsk" 24th Jun 2019
deleted1471098
I pay £32 for 350mb from virgin on retention deal, scrapped tv and phone many years ago.

I ring up every year on the 13th month and always get a good discount or upgrade and discount.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 24th Jun 2019
8ndy24/06/2019 15:55

They didn’t ring me back. My mrs just signed up as a new customer so we g …They didn’t ring me back. My mrs just signed up as a new customer so we got the new customer discount

Interesting.... been with VM for about 20 years back when they were called something else forgot the name. So If I cancel my wife can sign up under the same address and surname as I’m getting a pretty bad deal at the the mo. £40 for BB 100 only. Been looking at sky for £32 but don’t have an active phone line. Anyone know if this would be an issue ?
discozohan24/06/2019 20:19

Interesting.... been with VM for about 20 years back when they were called …Interesting.... been with VM for about 20 years back when they were called something else forgot the name. So If I cancel my wife can sign up under the same address and surname as I’m getting a pretty bad deal at the the mo. £40 for BB 100 only. Been looking at sky for £32 but don’t have an active phone line. Anyone know if this would be an issue ?

That’s exactly what we did and had no problem. If they question it just get your wife to say you left and she is putting all the bills in her name but don’t think they will tbh they haven’t with us.
discozohan24/06/2019 20:19

Interesting.... been with VM for about 20 years back when they were called …Interesting.... been with VM for about 20 years back when they were called something else forgot the name. So If I cancel my wife can sign up under the same address and surname as I’m getting a pretty bad deal at the the mo. £40 for BB 100 only. Been looking at sky for £32 but don’t have an active phone line. Anyone know if this would be an issue ?

I did that 3 weeks ago. Around 20 years with them, no call back so ordered in wifes name.
Don't pay your bill, they will soon give you a call.
Update for anyone interested...

They called me 24 hours later and offered me £24 a month for broadband only (100MB), which was exactly what I was hoping for (and cheaper than I was expecting). Glad I didn't jump on board with any other suppliers too quickly
I am in the same boat now. I've signed up with Vodafone super fast 2 BB with phone and virgin called me to offer me 200 meg BB only for £31. I would love to have the 350meg for that price otherwise I think at times you have to try other iSPs
8ndy24/06/2019 15:55

They didn’t ring me back. My mrs just signed up as a new customer so we g …They didn’t ring me back. My mrs just signed up as a new customer so we got the new customer discount

I got told there's a 90 day wait in between before you can register the same address and new account holder as a new customer?
Aqib_Mehmood10/07/2020 12:07

I got told there's a 90 day wait in between before you can register the …I got told there's a 90 day wait in between before you can register the same address and new account holder as a new customer?

That definitely isn’t true
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants