Cancelling a subscription from the magazine sites?

Found 6th Aug 2015
I have taken out a couple of subscriptions on a couple of magazine websites. Namely Radio Times and and a computer mag.

I have cancelled the direct debit for Radio Times but do I need to do anything else? Should I contact Radio Times, the mag subscription website or just leave it with a cancelled direct debit?
Community Updates
AskMagazine
5 Comments
I work in a bank a deal with these things on a daily basis - both direct debit and recurring debit card payments we always recommend contacting them directly as well as cancelling with the bank especially as the originally agreement would have been directly between yourself and them this will ensure they do not try to reset anything else up.

With a direct debit you are covered under the direct debit guarantee so if anything is taken in error etc you can always do a direct debit indemnity claim to get your money back via the bank.

If you are paying by debit card for your subscriptions then you can also cancel via your bank (as a recurring debit card transaction) they will take the date of cancellation as the date you told the bank and any future requests by the company for the amount will be denied or returned to you.

Hope that all makes sense.
Fairyfeet1964

I work in a bank a deal with these things on a daily basis - both direct … I work in a bank a deal with these things on a daily basis - both direct debit and recurring debit card payments we always recommend contacting them directly as well as cancelling with the bank especially as the originally agreement would have been directly between yourself and them this will ensure they do not try to reset anything else up.With a direct debit you are covered under the direct debit guarantee so if anything is taken in error etc you can always do a direct debit indemnity claim to get your money back via the bank.If you are paying by debit card for your subscriptions then you can also cancel via your bank (as a recurring debit card transaction) they will take the date of cancellation as the date you told the bank and any future requests by the company for the amount will be denied or returned to you.Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks for that, but I do not know who my contract is with, Radio Times or the Subscription company.
Don't worry about calling the radio times. As they don't care I would know I worked for the call centre that handles immediate media subscriptions for 3 years lol
NEtech

Thanks for that, but I do not know who my contract is with, Radio Times … Thanks for that, but I do not know who my contract is with, Radio Times or the Subscription company.

Oh ok - if you were buying a magazine from a third party subscription company then the contract would normally be with them they are providing the service for you - so on your direct debit it would have said the name of the company - that's who you need to contact, if I wa doing it as work I would look up the phone number on a direct debit for the person (it shows them on our system) - in this instance we may need to Google it.
From Radio Times Website:

Offer applies to Direct Debit subscriptions in the UK only. You may cancel at any time and receive a full refund on any outstanding issues. After your initial 12 issues, your subscription will continue at £33.80 every 26 issues (6 months). The Basic Annual Rate of Radio Times is £114.00 per annum. This price is for 51 issues including the Christmas double issue, and a contribution towards first class postage. All savings are calculated as a percentage of this Basic Annual Rate. You will be notified of any future price increases before they take effect. Calls to 0844 848 9729 from a BT landline will cost no more than 5p per minute. Calls from mobiles and other providers may vary.

---------------

I assume this is what you have - at least you have a number if you wish to contact them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants