Cancelling an Easyjet flight for one person

Found 4th Jul 2017
My oldest son has applied for an apprenticeship and has been told that he might have to start at the end of the month if he gets it. However, I have booked a holiday with 4 return flights from Bristol to Portugal (going 16th August, back 27th August). Am I right in thinking that if my son doesn't go, I would not be able to reclaim back his airfare? Also, as I have booked 4 flights as a family, would Easyjet still allow the rest of us to go? My son says that if he can't go, we should be able to still go - do we have to tell anybody at the airport and if so, will I get a fine/charge/fee on the day? Thank you.

19 Comments

Easyjet flights are non-refundable - though you may be able to reclaim the tax. The rest of you will be fine to go, there won't be any charges.

easyjet.com/en/…nge

Look at the section:
Cancelling your flight more than 24 hours after booking
Edited by: "BeerMeister" 4th Jul 2017

We're actually making the same trip on 26th July by the way - I'd looked at cancelling as I found the flights immensely cheaper in a Ryanair sale 2 weeks after I'd booked! Where in Portugal are you off to?

got travel insurance? can claim on miss flights

Original Poster

We're off to Luz (Western Algarve). I've always flown with Ryanair, but at the time of looking for flights, the total price for the Easyjet flights was around £100 cheaper than Ryanair (we were also able to get early morning flights with Easyjet).

Original Poster

As regards the comment about travel insurance, we will have it. Do you think that I could claim a refund due to the fact that my son has to possibly start a new job early - he thought he would not start an apprenticeship until September when the college goes back? Thank you.

Banned

This happened to my brother the company let him start a few weeks later so he can go on holiday.

Original Poster

Thank you for your help and advice.

Sophiasky

As regards the comment about travel insurance, we will have it. Do you … As regards the comment about travel insurance, we will have it. Do you think that I could claim a refund due to the fact that my son has to possibly start a new job early - he thought he would not start an apprenticeship until September when the college goes back? Thank you.

I don't think you could claim a refund because your son is working.

Wouldn't insurance cover you for missing a flight due to a car breakdown etc?

2 Options, Change the job start date
Everyone else goes on the holiday.

I've had multiple trips/weekends away where people have dropped out, doesn't affect anyone else on the booking, all that happens is that person doesn't go to the airport. You'll check in online as usual, (you have to check in the missing person too as the whole booking has to be checked in both ways), then just throw away their boarding slips and don't use them. Simples.

I've just done this with Ryanair. We had 3 return flights to France booked and then I couldn't travel on the outbound flight and had to go a couple of days later, just didn't check myself in for the outbound flight, no problem for the other two passengers and we all checked in as normal for the return journey.

Had to do it before for one passenger from a 3 passenger booking. If you can make use of another flight it might be worthwhile changing the date for that passenger and making use of the flight for another time. Reading through it seems to be £45 fee + differance in flight price (unsure if this is for full return or each way - can't honestly remember as he only had to change the date of his outward flight when we where going)
easyjet.com/en/…ees

On a slightly different note watch your hotel possibly (if you have a booking). Going back 8 years ago my sisters husband passed away suddenly and they had already paid the bulk of a holiday with Thomas Cook. She informed Thomas Cook of the situation and they had the cheek to then say if only 1 adult and 1 child was going then they would have to pay an under occupancy fee, it actually worked out they where looking more money. In the end my mother stepped in and paid just a name change on the holiday.If she had not bothered informing them they wouldn't have wanted any extra money!
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 4th Jul 2017

andynicol

I don't think you could claim a refund because your son is … I don't think you could claim a refund because your son is working.Wouldn't insurance cover you for missing a flight due to a car breakdown etc?

that would be fraud !

EliTom

elitom

that would be fraud !EliTom

I never suggested anything, merely pointing out a couple of facts...

Original Poster

Ok, thank you all for your advice. So, just in case he starts a new job before we go (and isn't allowed to start it later), I will have to check my son in on-line with the rest of us, even if he doesn't go? Thank you.

andynicol1 h, 2 m ago

I never suggested anything, merely pointing out a couple of facts...

It's people like yourself that cause insurance premiums to rise.

Skaman6 h, 40 m ago

I've just done this with Ryanair. We had 3 return flights to France booked …I've just done this with Ryanair. We had 3 return flights to France booked and then I couldn't travel on the outbound flight and had to go a couple of days later, just didn't check myself in for the outbound flight, no problem for the other two passengers and we all checked in as normal for the return journey.

Hi, did you have return flight booked with one company (Ryanair)? As I've worked at the airport and I know that if you have return ticket and you do not use outbound flight than inbound flight is cancelled automatically?

As I do fly a lot and once had to go back home earlier due to family emergency and wanted to use return flight already booked as a "return ticket" I had to call Ryanair, tell them that I need to cancel outbound flight and send me new confirmation about inbound flight? Otherwise if I did not show up they will be cancelling? (Does not count if you buy flights separately or from different airlines.)

Anyway, got 4 lads coming with me to Prague once and 1 decided to get drunk night before, called Jet2 at 2am and asked what to do as 1 will be not flying and was told - "nothing". Simply do not show up (and return flight will be cancelled) or call & cancel, but don't expect any money back.

Sophiasky9 h, 49 m ago

Ok, thank you all for your advice. So, just in case he starts a new job …Ok, thank you all for your advice. So, just in case he starts a new job before we go (and isn't allowed to start it later), I will have to check my son in on-line with the rest of us, even if he doesn't go? Thank you.

No, you can check in just 3 people with easyjet. If you check in people who aren't going to turn up, then this could delay the plane as they will be making tannoy calls at the airport

ipswich789 h, 45 m ago

It's people like yourself that cause insurance premiums to rise.

Oh come on, travel insurance is not mandatory.

MadeDixonsCry

Oh come on, travel insurance is not mandatory.

How's that relevant?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions