Groups

Cancelling and Rejoining with Sky

I'm not in a contract with Sky anymore, but for the same price ith my 50% off deal, as a new customer I could get a new Sky Q Box and have the deal I'm on for 18 months.

The offers on the site end at midnight, so if I call Sky today and put my notice in to cancel, can I then rejoin Sky today in my partners name? Could I also get a friend to recommend me to then get the usual £100 vouchers they have on offer?

Thanks

27 Comments

Don't forget to check out cashback websites too

Original Poster

Sky just told me I can't do this as it's linked to the address...

I've just done this, no problems. My cancellation overlapped with installing the new Sky Q in partners name. Loads of people do this every year

Original Poster

Really? what made you do it?

superfreddy

Sky just told me I can't do this as it's linked to the address...

I think it only becomes complicated if you are also attempting to swap the Sky landline & bb as technically the "new" accountholder is unable to inherit the landline until the existing landline account has been ceased. If you have landline/bb with another provider and are just looking to rearrange provision of Sky TV it should be achievable without too much trauma.

Probably not enough time to do this if the offer ends midnight but you need to cancel then sign up with a different surname and number.
    I gave a fake surname and used an old PAYG mobile number. Paid via credit card each month

Original Poster

Can't I just request to cancel mine now and then sign up as a new customer in my partner's name?

The point on telephones is probably right. Ours was just TV, I cancelled my sky and gave notice then just ordered on website in partners name, no issues. Installed last week and my contract ends next week

Original Poster

horstachio

The point on telephones is probably right. Ours was just TV, I cancelled … The point on telephones is probably right. Ours was just TV, I cancelled my sky and gave notice then just ordered on website in partners name, no issues. Installed last week and my contract ends next week

​Could I still do it in my name though? So instead of Fred, he Freddy?

superfreddy

Can't I just request to cancel mine now and then sign up as a new … Can't I just request to cancel mine now and then sign up as a new customer in my partner's name?

Yes you can that's what I did say you just moved in to property

Original Poster

sadiegul2010

Did they question you about rejoining then?

You need to put in to a different name

Original Poster

sadiegul2010

You need to put in to a different name

​Did they question you though if you told them you just moved in? Don't think it'll work because it's the same bank account

I put the new one in my gf name and used same bank details

Original Poster

It's not letting me sign up on sky.com - says I'm already a customer?...

superfreddy

It's not letting me sign up on sky.com - says I'm already a customer?...

Same for me

So I went back to Sky and they have give me 60% off for 12 months but without requiring me to sign up for another year. Effectively a 60% discount on a rolling 1 month notice for 1 year

I use my surname as first name and first name as surname.

Call centres always call me Mr Daniel

Edited by: "djdanj89" 11th May

Original Poster

djdanj89

I use my surname as first name and first name as surname.Call centres … I use my surname as first name and first name as surname.Call centres always call me Mr Daniel

​I used my wife's name and still won't work

Original Poster

sadiegul2010

​Did you not order online then?

try a different e-mail address and put a zero at the start of your house number...worked for me

Original Poster

Isn't that really dodgy though? Like, fraud?!

I did this with sky last year, I did it on chat and had an issue with the email address as my girlfriend used my email address a year before (can't remember why) so I told the guy on chat that my girlfriend had moved out and I wanted sky in my name and i just had to use a different email address. Maybe the chat guy wanted/got comission but he was happy to help me get the deal.

Original Poster

Finally got it to work. Now need to cancel my current one but need to give notice, so still need to pay for the net 31 days service, which sucks as the Sky Q is getting installed Monday! I'm guessing I can cancel my direct debit and then when the service is turned off, they'll send me a final bill?

Original Poster

Just thought - might be an idea for me to downgrade my package and remove Movies and then cancel, otherwise I'll be paying a months worth of movies that I don't need to. Right?

superfreddy

Yeh I did

superfreddy

Yeh I did

superfreddy

Just thought - might be an idea for me to downgrade my package and remove … Just thought - might be an idea for me to downgrade my package and remove Movies and then cancel, otherwise I'll be paying a months worth of movies that I don't need to. Right?

​I just tried this but it takes 30 days for them to take them off your bill
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…56
      2. word association Game73844454
      3. Royal Mil track and trace33
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553761

See more discussions