Cancelling Laser Eye Surgery appoinment - losing deposit?

Found 14th Aug 2011
Hi

I went to Optimax on Friday (12 August) for a consultation for laser eye surgery. I decided that I would go for it and it was recommended that I go for Lasek as I wouldnt be suitable for Lasik treatment.

After I had the consultation I spoke to the admin/sales staff who go throught the options etc. After having Lasek they advise that you will need to have 5 days off work. They said they had an appointment available for next Friday available.

I booked leave from work for Friday 19 August and as I work part time, it would be five days before I would be back at work.

After going through the consent sheet and considering that my prescription is not too bad (I think the main bit was 0.75 in both eyes) and that the consultant mentioned a few times that I have really big pupils (which gives you more chance of glare and haze at night/driving). The consultant said that I may need to wear a tinted glasses if this was the case.

Going through the consent sheet it also says that if you are short sighted and are fully corrected YOU will need reading glasses in the future e.g my close sight could be affected. It also mentioned that people with big pupils have a greater chance of the night vision problems.

After considering all these things, I decided that I want to cancel. I just looked at the cancellation information and it says that you have to give 5 working days notice of cancellation prior to your appoinment otherwise you will lose your deposit.

I wondering if there is a way I could cancel it and get my £100 deposit back. I booked it on a Friday and the next working day is tomorrow (Monday)

Does anybody have any advice, Im going to have to ring them tomorrow and would like to know if people think I've got a chance to get my deposit back or not.
Community Updates
Misc
16 Comments
It was the best thing I ever had and would do it again!. I had it in 1996 and now have night vision glasses and sometimes use reading glasses for the screen, but I would still do it again. I still dont need glasses for driving during day and dont need anything for everyday, so still working, just night time driving is slightly blurred with lights and sometimes get a headache if I look at a screen too long. So for my comfort I have glasses in the car if it is dark and some reading glasses for screen.
I had a problem with my corneas being too thin, but they still did it by 'pulling' the layer back and lasering. I was in pain for about 24hrs but it is amazing when you have no pain and everything is in focus and no need to wear glasses to see in the morning!!! Do it, you wont regret it!
Thats what the deposit is for, so that if you pull out they still make money to cover their time spent with you
I thought you cancelled because you saw Final Destination 5 lol. Sorry can't help but hope you get it back.
Monday to Friday is 5 days so you should be able to get you deposit back, call them at 9 am and see how you get on. If you get any resistance explain that the assistant more or less forced the appointment on you or made you feel that you had no option than to take the date that they offered.
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 14th Aug 2011
They are out to fleece the gullible, you are better off just losing your deposit and moving on.

Don't trust something as valuable as your eyesight to these people.
What about tell them you cant get the time off work can they put it back a week or 2 when you can get the time off, and then in a few days phone up and cancel the appointment?
Chuckles1001

What about tell them you cant get the time off work can they put it back … What about tell them you cant get the time off work can they put it back a week or 2 when you can get the time off, and then in a few days phone up and cancel the appointment?

I was thinking of that, but I wanted to ask them about cancelling first, should I?

If I re-arrange the appointment and then cancel do you think they would keep my deposit for making a second appoinment and then cancelling? If not, I might be better off to try that.

To some of the others, I studying computing and will start using photoshop and things like that and my close up vision is okay, I wouldnt want to have to wear glasses for having to use a computer or read a book. It says in there consent form that you will need reading glasses if they correct your short sightness, so I guess I will need them for computer use too.

I think I will rather try and go the contact route (tried a couple of years ago on 3 different occassions but I couldnt get them in) instead of laser eye surgery , like some have said you only get one set of eyes.

Edited by: "jg213" 15th Aug 2011
Inactive

They are out to fleece the gullible, you are better off just losing your … They are out to fleece the gullible, you are better off just losing your deposit and moving on.Don't trust something as valuable as your eyesight to these people.

why not?
why on earth would you pay for laser surgery anyway with a 0.75 prescription, especially when they even pointed out it could affect night vision and you would now need glasses?

jg213

I think I will rather try and go the contact route (tried a couple of … I think I will rather try and go the contact route (tried a couple of years ago on 3 different occassions but I couldnt get them in)

What's wrong with glasses?

As a side note, my girlfriend had laser eye surgery a year or so ago, maybe longer now, and it has worked out fantastically for her, her eyesight was shocking beforehand, needing glasses to see most things - you know it's bad when you can't clearly read the scrolling news along the bottom of Sky News on a 40" TV from 8ft away. For her it was worth every penny, but as you said your eyesight isn't that bad - Stick with glasses for now and worry about lasers when you're struggling to see.
Edited by: "DragonChris" 15th Aug 2011
jg213

To some of the others, I studying computing and will start using … To some of the others, I studying computing and will start using photoshop and things like that and my close up vision is okay, I wouldnt want to have to wear glasses for having to use a computer or read a book. It says in there consent form that you will need reading glasses if they correct your short sightness, so I guess I will need them for computer use too.

This bit is mostly just to cover their back. The vast majority of peoples eyes degrade as they get older and they get long sighted. If your short sighted already it might mean you need varifocal glasses (to cover your long and short sight) if you've 20/20 vision it'll mean reading glasses.

What this part of the consent form is saying is that the laser eye surgery won't stop this future degradation. But from your posts you sound young (studying computing = student = early 20's?) So this should be a while off yet.

Having said that, I agree that you should probably cancel now and maybe look into the whole thing in a bit more detail to make sure it's right for you.
Think about only having one eye done at a time. That's what I did 18 years ago when I had it done. Because it was early days with the technique they did one eye at a time and waited 6 weeks to see how I recovered. After I had one done (my prescription was -4.25 and I had my 'leading' eye corrected) I went back and they said if I could manage with one eye I didn't need the other done because I had monovision. 40% of the population are capable of this. Now I'm older I read with my short-sighted eye and see distance with my corrected eye and don't need reading glasses. Best of all worlds.
okay, I contacted them first thing in the morning. First, I tried the clinics number, I didnt get a answer so I rang the general number. The lady I spoke to said cancelling everything was fine, I asked her about my deposit and she said that, that would be okay and I would get it back. I thought "great, I was worrying about nothing". I then mentioned that I had taken the credit aggrement and asked if I would need to contact the credit aggrement people to cancel that aswell.

She put me through to the clinic, all seemed fine until the new girl I spoke to said that I had to give 5 working days notice and that if I dont I wont get my £100 deposit back. She went to check with the manager and I think she probably said the same thing. The girl said that they are waiting to speak to the girl who signed me up (she usually works at a different branch) and will contact me later on today.

Are Saturday & Sundays classified as working days? I'm sure a working days are Monday to Friday. If thats the case I couldnt give them 5 working days notice after I had booked the appoinment on Friday gone. I didnt read the consent form that put me off until Saturday. I wasnt advised about the cancellation procedure or notice period although I ended up seeing it in the consent form on page 5, although for the consent form I was just told that I need to read it and sign it before I come in for the surgery (So, there was nothing that made me think I had to read it straight away.)

Also, when I signed the credit agreement, I couldnt read the terms & conditions etc as I had the eye drops in my eyes which ment I couldnt read them (lol - I could hardly read my bank card, and the girl took it to type in the numbers etc for the deposit)

It's been a few hours since I heard from them now, It's not looking good.

What do you think? any hope of me getting my deposit back?
Hopefully not. Why should thy when you've wasted their time completely?

That's the whole point in a deposit.
Ok deposits are taken to secure an offering and to make sure both parties are fully committed to it but limiting one sides ability to retract is unfair, as is the situation you find yourself in.

You were put under pressure, as most sales like this are, and taken advantage of. You clearly were in no position to read the terms so the sales person shouldn't have gotten you to sign the contract or even taken your bank details. You were given the earliest appointment so if they rely on the 5 day rule it is they who limited your cancellation options. Personally I would fight any excuse they offer and if need be seek assistance from trading standards.

Credit agreements have a cooling off period too and you are clearly within that period to cancel. Contact the creditor to cancel, just to make sure take names and numbers for confirmation.
I would not go down without a fight - £100 could buy a lot on this site
Seriously, if they tell you that you are not getting your deposit back, keep on and on and on, most companies will eventually end up folding.

Generally, 'working days' means Monday to Friday, stick to your guns and good luck!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions