Groups

Cancelling my Sky Sub package due to price increase and loss of channels

I did ask this in another thread but deleted it as I didnt want to hijack his thread. I was looking at cancelling my sky due to the price increase and have had the 30 day notice to inform them however using uswitch even with the now £18.99 and £10 a month fibre it is still a good price unless that is I take up the current virgin offer of £22 for fibre only. What I am trying to work out is trying to cancel my box sets early as that is going up, I am intending cancelling at the end of the contract anyway but if I can do it early the better.

In their terms they say they can increase it by 10% a year but looking at my future bills they have increased it on my discount. See below, does anybody know if I can cancel it due to the box set subscription increase and the fact they are losing all the other channels that I signed up for. I know ofcom dont cover tv subs so the 30 day cant be used on that.

thanks

Box Sets £10 - including discounts

Box Sets £38.00

Viewing Subscription Discounted- £25.46

Total £12.54

11 Comments

What's your question, can u cancel early because of a price increase?

Phone up the retention department and they will give u the answer.

I left sky as prices kept creeping up - I have a now tv box (yes I know that's still sky really) and can get to lots of box sets on there. You can also get films on there if you want to pay for them.

caroline777upnorth

I left sky as prices kept creeping up - I have a now tv box (yes I know … I left sky as prices kept creeping up - I have a now tv box (yes I know that's still sky really) and can get to lots of box sets on there. You can also get films on there if you want to pay for them.

Sadly its no different elsewhere, VM increased prices twice in 2016

dozstanford

Sadly its no different elsewhere, VM increased prices twice in 2016

Doz didn't say anything like that.

Every company puts their prices up due to "inflation" but they send the signal either way so it doesn't cost them any more but if we owned the company we would do the same.

Westwoodo

Doz didn't say anything like that.Every company puts their prices up due … Doz didn't say anything like that.Every company puts their prices up due to "inflation" but they send the signal either way so it doesn't cost them any more but if we owned the company we would do the same.

I don't recall the specifics of the hike at the start of 2016 but the second rise in Nov increased our bill by a further 12.5%.

rateinflation.com/inf…ate

Go onto the MSE website ( Martin lewis ) he has covered this subject before,Its worth signing up to its free.I cancelled after read that although i had written down conversations with BT and other info along the way which bolsters my claim.Even to the point of saying in one phone chat that it wouldnt bother me if i was without BB for a couple of months.they tried to charge me upwards of £400 but after going back and listening to the taped phone call they relented and dropped ALL charges.I would say to anyone when starting a contract to buy a notebook and write down names / dates / time and a short note of topic so later on it will help any claim you make.You are able to leave penalty free if you give notice in those 30 days.Thats the way i read it as.

dozstanford

I don't recall the specifics of the hike at the start of 2016 but the … I don't recall the specifics of the hike at the start of 2016 but the second rise in Nov increased our bill by a further 12.5%.http://www.rateinflation.com/inflation-rate/uk-historical-inflation-rate

Indeed. Not to jack the thread and this is the last thing I will say on it but virgin do "free" upgrades to their broadband and channels but then conveniently have to hike their prices twice a year. Doesn't matter which way you look at it those upgrades are anything but "free".

I watch the Discovery channels and most of the 13 that Sky are losing, the only option is BT or Virgin Media as TalkTalk fell out with Discovery last year.

I have my broadband with BT but no TV aerial, they have offered to install a new one for £60.

I did have Virgin Media for TV last year and hated it, the ugliest GUI you've ever seen, terribly slow and when searching for shows it shows results from Youtube and Netflix, so just when you think you found something, you either need a Netflix subscription or missing eppisodes from Youtube, it just annoyed me.

have just had long chat with sky. Have tv with sports and movies, phone and fibre all taken out same day sept 2016. cancelled phone and fibre owing to price increase. was told can't cancel TV (separate contract). had to downgrade TV to absolute basic (£8 pm) which will run to end of contract in sept. chat operator wanted to try and charge early termination on phone as I wanted to exit before sept! took a lot of explaining I wanted to cancel owing to their price increase which I was entitled to do. Back off to virgin (lucky enough to be able to hop between both every year).

youngjb

had to downgrade TV to absolute basic (£8 pm) which will run to end of … had to downgrade TV to absolute basic (£8 pm) which will run to end of contract in sept.

Why were you forced to downgrade ? If they do lose the Discovery pack then they breached their own terms, they have to give you 30 days notice of any change of content, I've still not recieved any notice at all about the changes.

Just spoke to Sky, they are still in negotiations with Discovery they said, but if they do lose the channels on 1st Feb you are allowed to cancel your contract as in terms and conditions, even if you are still in your contract term
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media - what is a good price?39
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2853
      3. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1021
      4. Is this a Nespresso capsules compatible machine?11

See more discussions