Cancelling Sky

Found 11th Jul 2011
Why is it near impossible to cancel with sky, on the website it gives a number which when you ring they're is no option for cancellation. Anyways I just went through a different way and then asked to be through to cancellations.

The reason i want to cancel is because i'm moving house, however at present we haven't decided where we are moving, so i makes sense to cancel sky then decide when moved what provider to go to as some landlords don't allow sky dishes to be put on their properties.

Anyways SKY.com it says you must give us 31 days notice. I move on the 31st August so I rang today (11th July) which is easily 31 days notice. but apprently because its the 31st August they can't accept my cancellation until 31st July. . . . .???? why????

Just let me cancel!
Community Updates
MiscSky
34 Comments
Cancel your direct debit.

Job done
Original Poster
ChrisUK

Cancel your direct debit.Job done

Doesn't that affect your credit rating doing it without notifying them?
Just notify them a little earlier if not now, surely if you are moving house you aint going to be watching tv in the last few days anyway. Either way I am sure you can live without sky for a couple of days.
Just ring back then and give the 31 days notice to end on 11 august or whatever it is. I'm sure you could manage on freeview for a couple of weeks. Or ring back on 31st July.
Banned
ChrisUK

Do not do this ^^^^^^^^^^

luckily, I am a man in the know!

If you have a trail of problems not being dealt with by Sly, then try this email address:

andrew.griffith@bskyb.com

Leave your contact number and I expect they will call you back within a couple of hours to do as you request or make you a great offer to stay. I did this at midday on Sunday (yesterday) and had the new deal sorted by 6pm.

I finally succumbed and accepted a 12 month half price HD all channel multi-room contract with 2 brand new receivers for £30.75 per month....... All courtesy of the exec department email address.

So 2 new boxes + 12 months of multi room + 12 months HD + 12 months all mixes, all sports and all moves for 12 x £30.75

Jeez... Thats 5 sky HD boxes in the house now! lol
Banned
Anyways I just went through a different way and then asked to be through to cancellations.
so whats your problem

they're talking BS to say you cant cancel till the 31/7
Edited by: "csiman" 11th Jul 2011
I cancelled mine a couple of days ago, took all of 10 minutes.

Ring them here  0844 241 4141, there'll be an option "thinking of leaving us", can't remember off the top of my head what the numbers are, sorry.

Just fob them off with the excuse you're going abroad for a couple of months, usually have nothing to say to that in my experience X)
Banned
guv

Do not do this ^^^^^^^^^^luckily, I am a man in the know!If you have a … Do not do this ^^^^^^^^^^luckily, I am a man in the know!If you have a trail of problems not being dealt with by Sly, then try this email address:andrew.griffith@bskyb.comLeave your contact number and I expect they will call you back within a couple of hours to do as you request or make you a great offer to stay. I did this at midday on Sunday (yesterday) and had the new deal sorted by 6pm.I finally succumbed and accepted a 12 month half price HD all channel multi-room contract with 2 brand new receivers for £30.75 per month....... All courtesy of the exec department email address.So 2 new boxes + 12 months of multi room + 12 months HD + 12 months all mixes, all sports and all moves for 12 x £30.75Jeez... Thats 5 sky HD boxes in the house now! lol

inb4 guv sells out ...oh too late
Banned
dog_cop

inb4 guv sells out ...oh too late

I am a law abiding citizen.... And you are a crook in a police uniform! X)
Banned
guv

I am a law abiding citizen.... And you are a crook in a police uniform! X)

dont you just hate reformed do gooders
Banned
tbh, the worst advice ever on a sky thread is to just cancel your DD

come on, just think about it - it aint joebloggs.corner.shop.uk!
Edited by: "csiman" 11th Jul 2011
guv

luckily, I am a man in the know!If you have a trail of problems not being … luckily, I am a man in the know!If you have a trail of problems not being dealt with by Sly, then try this email address:andrew.griffith@bskyb.comLeave your contact number and I expect they will call you back within a couple of hours to do as you request or make you a great offer to stay. I did this at midday on Sunday (yesterday) and had the new deal sorted by 6pm.I finally succumbed and accepted a 12 month half price HD all channel multi-room contract with 2 brand new receivers for £30.75 per month....... All courtesy of the exec department email address.So 2 new boxes + 12 months of multi room + 12 months HD + 12 months all mixes, all sports and all moves for 12 x £30.75Jeez... Thats 5 sky HD boxes in the house now! lol

Thats a cracking deal, what was your main reason for contacting them, were you having issues with them or just looking for a better deal?
Here is a freephone option - 0800 0466434

Ignore the initial message, just hang on for a few seconds and it takes you through to the normal Sky options. Take the Sky TV option and ask for cancellations. Be prepared for the onslaught of tactics used by the Sky people to persuade you to stay.
Banned
djaliboy

[Thats a cracking deal, what was your main reason for contacting them, … [Thats a cracking deal, what was your main reason for contacting them, were you having issues with them or just looking for a better deal?

My 12 month half price free sky HD box and no HD charges contract was up mid June and I'd contacted them to ask the date I need to call to cancel. Before that happened the Bank text I got, showed they'd taken more than they should. They'd basically ballsed it up. I was told it would all be sorted and wouldnt have to worry about it... but knowing how this all works I emailed another exec. He offered me 6 month 1/2 price to stay - I said no thanks. On the day it was due to go, I had another call offering it for 12 months half price with no tie in (ie cancel whenever)

So I rang him back asking why his "best we can do offer" was less than what I'd just got offered. A few calls later, ll that was required was an agreement by me - which I was supposed to get a phone call for. After resending 4 times in a 9 day period with no reply, acknowledgemt of phone call, I used the other address.

He asked me what I wanted and I told him! (ie all channels inc HD and multiroom at half price) I asked if there was a tie in and he confirmed there was for 12 months, so said I wanted 2 new boxes too as I didnt want to be trapped in a contract with boxes that needed reparing.

All agreed and sorted after a couple of call backs in approx 30 mins and an email (so something in writing) confirming everything exactly what we'd agreed.

I love it when a plan comes together.......

(And DC..... I now have a spare full HD package card to put in my DM800HD... Muwhahahahaha. ) X)
This is what i did, been having problem with them, sent emails to andrew.griffith@bskyb.com as well as all other emails i could find on their letters and online, sent a long email, received a call at around 8pm on friday (same day) told me the matter will be looked into personally by them before wednesday next week. Received a call next day 8.40 am, within an hour everything has been resolved with £53 credit to my account and good deal for next 12months!!!

Personally sky are blood/money suckers hate them to bits...(unless they give me the deal of the year:) )

Edited by: "shybeauty" 11th Jul 2011
ChrisUK

Fail.
Why oh why did I ring Sky a couple of hours ago... just before this thread appeared.
I could've used some of this useful info. I was offered 6 months half price or 6 months 25% off with a £50 credit... refused both hoping for a 12 month callback
Banned
Why aren't there anti capitalist terrorists?
I have the best deal of all, I don't buy in to Sky.(_;)

Anyways SKY.com it says you must give us 31 days notice.

Where does it say that?
^^^^T&C's

If you wish to leave Sky, you will need to provide 31 days notice, please check your Terms and Conditions or speak to one of our advisors if you're not sure whether your minimum contract period has expired. Please call Sky Customer Services on 08442 410 266 (UK) or 0818 719 819 (Rep. of Ireland) as you are unable to complete this process online.

I've just cancelled sports and movies and they said I had to give 31 days too!
Edited by: "greg_68" 11th Jul 2011
greg_68

^^^^T&C'sIf you wish to leave Sky, you will need to provide 31 days … ^^^^T&C'sIf you wish to leave Sky, you will need to provide 31 days notice, please check your Terms and Conditions or speak to one of our advisors if you're not sure whether your minimum contract period has expired. Please call Sky Customer Services on 08442 410 266 (UK) or 0818 719 819 (Rep. of Ireland) as you are unable to complete this process online.I've just cancelled sports and movies and they said I had to give 31 days too!

So it says 31 days notice, it doesn't say that it has to be given on a certain date to be effective.
^^ no it's 31 days from when you cancel, I assume they put up all sorts of barriers to stop you cancelling in advance in the hope that you forget or change your mind. It's like the cancelling or downgrading details are hard to find but the new to sky and upgrading are much easier X)
Original Poster
thesaint

So it says 31 days notice, it doesn't say that it has to be given on a … So it says 31 days notice, it doesn't say that it has to be given on a certain date to be effective.

She basically said that I can't cancel my contract for the end of August until at least the 31st of July. Which is completely against what it says!
feeder16

She basically said that I can't cancel my contract for the end of August … She basically said that I can't cancel my contract for the end of August until at least the 31st of July. Which is completely against what it says!

She's working you from behind.
You can cancel now, effective from the 31st Aug. FACT.
^^ isn't that exactly what it says, you need to phone on the 31st of July or before if you want out by the 31st of August. Why not cancel today?
Supermod
Has anyone not been offered any deal to stay and then called back to cancel their cancellation request?
Original Poster
thesaint

She's working you from behind.You can cancel now, effective from the 31st … She's working you from behind.You can cancel now, effective from the 31st Aug. FACT.

To be honest I got the impression she might of been lying because she kept going on about free installation if I moved with them! And I said I don't know where I'll be living so I thought she might be pushing me away in hope by 31st I'd know where I live and say yes to moving with them!

TBH I want to go with Virgin Media as Sky Customer Service has been poor every step of the way! I'd just miss Sky Atlantic!
greg_68

^^ isn't that exactly what it says, you need to phone on the 31st of July … ^^ isn't that exactly what it says, you need to phone on the 31st of July or before if you want out by the 31st of August. Why not cancel today?

No, the OP says that they won't accept the cancellation today, effective 31st August.
thesaint

No, the OP says that they won't accept the cancellation today, effective … No, the OP says that they won't accept the cancellation today, effective 31st August.

Yes I know that, but they could cancel anytime between now and the 31st of Jully to be sure of being out by the 31st of August. Being two weeks without sky would be the least of my worries when moving house.
greg_68

Yes I know that, but they could cancel anytime between now and the 31st … Yes I know that, but they could cancel anytime between now and the 31st of Jully to be sure of being out by the 31st of August. Being two weeks without sky would be the least of my worries when moving house.

Please read the opening post.
Banned
longbowassassin

Fail.

the problem is that some lunatics will actually take that advice as gospel!
If you've already given them 30 days notice & your out of contract, you are well in your right to cancel your direct debit. If they say you can't cancel until day/month X & your out of contract then they are taking the ****. Give notice, pay last bill, cancel DD.
I cancelled sky today and gave them 31 days notice... don't understand why they wouldnt let you do it....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants