Cancelling The Gym membership during lockdown?

Posted 26th May
My gym (The Gym) has frozen my monthly D/D but I don't want to continue membership when they get the go ahead to reopen.

I'm assuming once that happens they'll instantly take the next installment which I obviously don't want to pay.

I have emailed them a couple of times but no response (probably no staff to deal with it).

Can I cancel my D/D at my end or will that cause problems?
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
There's a popular forum that deals with gym membership issues and from what I read, no gym is gonna take you to court if you cancel and stop paying.

Have a google for the forum and you'll find loads of ppl in the same situation
depends what your t and c are
DO IT!

Gyms dont appear on credit file, they wont take you too court, its all false threats, Gyms lost too many cases in past!

Example, last year i went to cancel my membership only to find out i was on a 3yr Contract!!!! I managed to find the forum below, they helped me with letters and and laws etc.

My case was passed to a "admins" or as they like to refer to themselves a debt collection agency, short story, only communicate via email/letter so paper record, dont speak to any admin/debt collection they have zero powers when it comes to gyms. I sent one letter and not heard off them since this was over a year ago now.

Have a look at all the threads here:
consumeractiongroup.co.uk/for…bs/
Edited by: "HotUKDealsHobo" 26th May
PenguinsForAll26/05/2020 16:08

There's a popular forum that deals with gym membership issues and from …There's a popular forum that deals with gym membership issues and from what I read, no gym is gonna take you to court if you cancel and stop paying.Have a google for the forum and you'll find loads of ppl in the same situation

See my response
PS dont worry that you have not received a response, you have notified them. Most require 30 days notice so that all you need to give them, i dont expect Gyms to reopen until July at the very earliest.

Emails should be able to be seen by a admin team working from home i would say.
It's a rolling month to month contract
HotUKDealsHobo26/05/2020 16:17

PS dont worry that you have not received a response, you have notified …PS dont worry that you have not received a response, you have notified them. Most require 30 days notice so that all you need to give them, i dont expect Gyms to reopen until July at the very earliest.Emails should be able to be seen by a admin team working from home i would say.

I stated I wished to cancel my membership and asked them the process, but didn't specify that I was giving my 30 day notice.

Makes sense to email them again and formally give them notice? Thanks
Yeah, if a rolling monthly contract even better next to no come back i would say. Have a read of that forum you'll be fine.

I wish i knew about it sooner as i had to pay Bannatynes £124 a few years ago as i changed jobs, so was no longer fesable for me to go to that gym and they still wanted me to pay. However i found later on that forum that they now have to allow you to cancel the contract if you:
Change jobs,
Lose job,
Move house,
and loads of other reasons

If you read the judgement against some of these gyms a judge says something along the lines "Gyms business models seem to be to lock people into a contract they dont want for as long as possible"
Gollywood26/05/2020 16:28

I stated I wished to cancel my membership and asked them the process, but …I stated I wished to cancel my membership and asked them the process, but didn't specify that I was giving my 30 day notice.Makes sense to email them again and formally give them notice? Thanks

consumeractiongroup.co.uk/top…ht/
i think a lot of gyms won't be around after this pandemic as they are going to be hit pretty hard.
You don’t need to give notice. Just cancel direct debit. That’s what I did way before the pandemic
HotUKDealsHobo26/05/2020 16:12

DO IT!Gyms dont appear on credit file, they wont take you too court, its …DO IT!Gyms dont appear on credit file, they wont take you too court, its all false threats, Gyms lost too many cases in past!Example, last year i went to cancel my membership only to find out i was on a 3yr Contract!!!! I managed to find the forum below, they helped me with letters and and laws etc.My case was passed to a "admins" or as they like to refer to themselves a debt collection agency, short story, only communicate via email/letter so paper record, dont speak to any admin/debt collection they have zero powers when it comes to gyms. I sent one letter and not heard off them since this was over a year ago now.Have a look at all the threads here:https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/185-gyms-and-health-clubs/

I agree, just cancel the direct debit
Do you pay in advance pre arrears?
I heard they are opening in October
Why don’t you inbox them on Facebook messenger
PenguinsForAll26/05/2020 16:08

There's a popular forum that deals with gym membership issues and from …There's a popular forum that deals with gym membership issues and from what I read, no gym is gonna take you to court if you cancel and stop paying.Have a google for the forum and you'll find loads of ppl in the same situation

They won’t no.
But They will pass it on to debt recovery, someone like Moorcroft debt recovery. and then they will just tell you to take it up with them.
They tried it on with me years a go but failed and closed the account down (mine was valid though because the Gym in my area had closed but they continued to take money until I canceled the direct debit)

If your with the Nuffield just email them, they’re very good with situations like this and will normally allow you out of the contract
Misslovely26/05/2020 17:14

I heard they are opening in October Why don’t you inbox them on Facebook m …I heard they are opening in October Why don’t you inbox them on Facebook messenger

I'm not on Facebook
Gollywood26/05/2020 18:30

I'm not on Facebook

Send a letter if you can recorded delivery £1-ish - trust me it will be fine
How can I cancel my membership?
Before cancelling your membership, have you considered freezing your membership? For only £5 a month you can reserve your place and save paying the joining fee again when you unfreeze.

If you'd prefer to cancel, you can do this by simply contacting your bank and cancel the direct debit.

You must cancel your direct debit with your bank at least 4 working days before your next payment is due. As soon as the direct debit with your bank is cancelled, your Gym access pin number will be deactivated immediately.

For credit card users wanting to cancel, please login to the members area and use the 'contact gym' webform to notify us of your cancellation at least 4 working days before your next payment is due

thegymgroup.com/faqs/
Pure gym even have it on their website to cancel via bank. Your on monthly rolling just give tell them you are cancelling with the notice in the correct steps. Not like they are taking payment anyway.
UPDATE

"....Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that your membership with us is now cancelled

No further payments will be debited and no further access to the gym will be allowed.

We hope to see you back training at The Gym soon"

Job done. Thanks to everyone that replied
Post a comment
@
    Text