Cancelling Vodafone Contract Early?!

Found 2nd Jun 2011
Hi I have recently bought a mobile phone sim only contract from Three and wanted to cancel my Vodafone contract early so I can transfer my number over.

I called them up and they wanted to charge me £25 cancellation fee and the line rental for the rest of the contract!

I understand about the line rental but that cancellation fee is ridiculous!

Is there any other way do do this without having to pay silly fees?

Many thanks
Community Updates
No, and the cancellation fee is fair imo. You took on a contract for a minimum term and want to break it early.
What's silly about it?
It's a contract... Therefore you have to continue paying until the end of it?
Original Poster
Thanks, I guess I will have to keep both contracts and do some swapping of sims when I want to use the internet (3 months of it)

I think if you're paying off a contract early the remaining line rental is charged excluding VAT. Maybe this would outweigh the cancellation fee depending on monthly cost and how long you have remaining.
They are not allowed to charge a cancellation fee, only what line rental is left on the contract. So if 3 months left at £30 then would be £90 - VAT and nothing extra
Original Poster

Thats what I would have thought but they told me otherwise... Do you think I should ring up and try again or do it via email?

They are not allowed to charge a cancellation fee, only what line rental … They are not allowed to charge a cancellation fee, only what line rental is left on the contract. So if 3 months left at £30 then would be £90 - VAT and nothing extra

Would ring them as usually quicker than email.

From Ofcom for a ETC charge to be fair "it is never greater than the amount of the (usually monthly) contractual retail payments remaining due at the date of termination;" (page 5 on

Also reduce your tariff to the minimum allowed (usually 1 level down ~£5) as to reduce the charge
I'd recommend using Vodafone's own forum at It's not as fast as either their phone or mail support but I find it's worth waiting for as the eForum team are far better informed.

Just a word of advice to all vodafone customers. Fair enough you have a contract to deliver on that you agreed to. But whatever you do. Dont pay vodafone a day late or they will slate your credit score rating ruthelessly. My advice to all vodafone customers is to setup a direct debit and make sure you pay them on time. Then once your contract is finished go to another provider because their members of staff are so much more understanding and supporting of their customers. They tend to help you alot better with all matters in my experience and in my opinion they dont slate your credit score rating straight away if you are a day late making a payment. My credit scoring has not ever been worse because I didnt realise that vodafone were slating me so badly for late payments. If I had known this I would have done a better job of paying them on time. I had only forgot to setup a direct debit and didnt worry too much about it and just called them to pay when a bill came in as I have been so busy. Ive always payed my bill within the month so never thaught it would be that big a problem. Now my credit scoring is wrecked just because of vodafone and nothing else. I take full blame for being so relaxed about paying the bill on a certain date each month but I seriously did not know how badly it was affecting my credit scoring. but I cant wait to go back to another provider. I'll never deal with vodafone ever again in my lifetime when my contract runs out. I think it was just their sheer blunt attitude when I explained that I didnt realise even a day late payment was affecting my credit score rating so badly. Now I know I wont let it happen again and would advise you all to pay them on time unless your happy to let vodafone ruthelessly adversly affect your credit rating in no time at all. I hope my lesson will save you from the same fate.

but thanks for signing up and posting on a year old thread
nailez, how sarcastic, people still read year old threads.Just because you add a smiley face does not meant it isn't rude. Sorry chaps comment was relevant. So
I read it and found it useful samera 2
I can't see how that's worth dredging up a two year old thread for but the information in the post above isn't that accurate, Vodafone do not 'slate your credit score ruthlessly', if a payment isn't made all they can do is put a late payment marker on the person's credit file and if they don't still don't pay up, put a default on. It's exactly what most other companies do, not just mobile telecommunication companies as this is the standard procedure for late payments. Some companies may let the person off with the first one but if the payment is consistently late the person has indicated above, I don't see that as a fault of the company that they correctly update the credit file in those circumstances.

As for other providers being much better, I beg to differ particularly having had a long battle with O2 over an incorrect debt with them (despite all payments being made correctly on time via direct debit). They eventually admitted it was their fault but weren't at all bothered about it, I find a lot of Vodafone's support staff similarly hopeless but unlike the other networks I find their forum staff helpful.

Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants