Cane at school

Posted 30th Nov
Just wondering if you are old enough to have had the cane at school what was it for?

I remember getting it for throwing a stone. Then a week's detention doing lines after dinner with Mr walker. I shall not throw stones. 4 of us got it for that.

Engrained on my memory, and never did anything wrong again after that.

I could choose from thin to thick, in a cupboard about 7 from recollection. Was across the knuckles. Tbh i seem to remember it didn't hurt that much long after, It was the experience which was bad. You got humilulated in assembly, made to stand in front of everybody and apologise.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
These things need to be brought back. Kids these days are disrespectful, do drugs, are chavvy, sexually assault their teachers and get in fights with Police officers FFS
17 Comments
yep , they gave it me for writing a sick note for a mate at another school . Without him seeing , I wrote the note as normal then wrote **** off at the bottom . Ahh fun times .
Parents can teach this to children without smacking them. They just need to be assertive and make it clear when a boundary has been breached and choose an appropriate punishment.

Many parents either scream like crazy at children or just let them run everywhere. This teaches children nothing....
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 30th Nov
What a cheerful way to start the day!
Yes, I certainly do remember getting the cane and various other methods of corporal punishment such as the clothes brush and the slipper and the metal ruler! Added to that the occasional board rubber being hurled at me across the classroom from a particularly vicious latin teacher! In fact, Prefects had only just lost the right to cane juniors the year before I went to school in 1969.
I'm not a great fan of corporal punishment, but knowing that it was available to the teachers made you very aware of the risk that you took if you broke the rules and I think moderated the behavior of all but the most aggressive pupils. Stangely, there was more shame to having been whipped than kudos. Most of us that were caught and caned got it for smoking behind the toilets. Serious offences like drugs brought an instant expulsion.
Dnt get cane but here in Scotland we got the Belt (lochgelly tawse).it was sore my crime answering back .
In first year primary a girl went home at lunch and told her parents that someone had moved her bag, that afternoon the head came in asked which boy it was and when no one admitted, gave every boy in the class the slipper!

Didn’t get caned but say that in secondary school. Certainly different times now thank god.
Edited by: "eslick" 30th Nov
Nana1430/11/2019 09:39

Dnt get cane but here in Scotland we got the Belt (lochgelly tawse).it …Dnt get cane but here in Scotland we got the Belt (lochgelly tawse).it was sore my crime answering back .

Yip I remember the belt a thick piece of leather across the Pam of your hands it stung like a bar steward
airbus33030/11/2019 09:29

What a cheerful way to start the day!Yes, I certainly do remember getting …What a cheerful way to start the day!Yes, I certainly do remember getting the cane and various other methods of corporal punishment such as the clothes brush and the slipper and the metal ruler! Added to that the occasional board rubber being hurled at me across the classroom from a particularly vicious latin teacher! In fact, Prefects had only just lost the right to cane juniors the year before I went to school in 1969.I'm not a great fan of corporal punishment, but knowing that it was available to the teachers made you very aware of the risk that you took if you broke the rules and I think moderated the behavior of all but the most aggressive pupils. Stangely, there was more shame to having been whipped than kudos. Most of us that were caught and caned got it for smoking behind the toilets. Serious offences like drugs brought an instant expulsion.

I also had a Latin teacher in the late 60's who was a pretty accurate shot with a board rubber, chalk, or anything else within reach, his name was Kevin Preston, just wondered if we're talking about the same person?
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 30th Nov
I was caned once. Lost all respect for that teacher. He was a pathetic bully - ex para.
Delbert.Grady30/11/2019 10:26

I also had a Latin teacher who was a pretty accurate shot with a board …I also had a Latin teacher who was a pretty accurate shot with a board rubber, chalk, etc, and it was also in the late 60's, his name was Mr Preston, just wondered if we're talking about the same person?

LoL no my master was Mr. Coleman, only slightly deranged compare to the biology master Mr. Campbell who used to march up and down the class room carrying a Heidelberg printer roller weighing a good 5kg ready to smash down on the pencil case of anyone talking in class. There were some real nutters at my school.

But I had an education that most kids today could only dream of.
Edited by: "airbus330" 30th Nov
I got a ruler across my knuckles for not having a clean cotton handkerchief, despite the fact I had had to use it on the way to school!
Nana1430/11/2019 09:39

Dnt get cane but here in Scotland we got the Belt (lochgelly tawse).it …Dnt get cane but here in Scotland we got the Belt (lochgelly tawse).it was sore my crime answering back .

Scotland131430/11/2019 09:50

Yip I remember the belt a thick piece of leather across the Pam of your …Yip I remember the belt a thick piece of leather across the Pam of your hands it stung like a bar steward

I remember getting the belt. Boy did that hurt.
These things need to be brought back. Kids these days are disrespectful, do drugs, are chavvy, sexually assault their teachers and get in fights with Police officers FFS
I used to get caned at home so did my best to avoid it at school. When I did get caned it was usually for what were called uniform violations, wearing coloured socks and a pale blue shirt instead of regulation grey, wearing a CND badge on my lapel, even refusing to get a haircut was enough. I was thought of as rebellious but to my mind I was just expressing my individuality.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 30th Nov
I got the cane when the teacher spotted a packet of fags in my bag. He used to smoke like a chimney himself, he confiscated them, I bet he smoked them too.
I remember one teacher chucking a board rubber at someone in the class, (not me) and missing the intended target, it hit some innocent recipient right in tbe kisser and nearly knocked him unconscious.
Happy days
Yes I’ve been caned, and had board Rubbers thrown at me too. I am for these type of Minor punishments, nothing wrong with how things were done in the older days. It all went t*** up when we got all nicely, nicey.
zworld30/11/2019 11:42

These things need to be brought back. Kids these days are disrespectful, …These things need to be brought back. Kids these days are disrespectful, do drugs, are chavvy, sexually assault their teachers and get in fights with Police officers FFS

I think your describing children with useless parents which is the minority unless you live in a rough area
thread/

39210787-GFrVO.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants