Expired

Cannot get Sky due to signal issues. What options do I have ?

Found 30th Jul 2012
Hi

Just had the Sky team come by. And after checking the building/roof/signal etc. they've come to the conclusion that they cannot install the Sky dish.

They did say I could get an independent contractor to install the dish but I'm not too keen on that, spending money on what should essentially be a free service from Sky.

My partner is livid lol. She doesn't want to miss out on all her favorite shows. Is there any way I could get Sky online or any other service etc which I could stream online through and get all UK channels.

Eg. Apple Tv or something on those lines.

Thanks.
Community Updates
MiscSky
21 Comments
not sure why they couldnt install,

option 1 - the new sky tv service over the internet "now TV" i believe its called

option 2 - you will need a xbox 360 and a kind friend. as a sky customer you can view sky via 2 other devices (iphone/console) using their log in details
What dish did they try to put in?

You can get a larger one to help with weak signal.
Get a US IP and you will be able to stream most of the US shows from the US sites (Fox, ABC etc). All the UK channels are covered online. Add in Netflix and you can have a good selection of movies. This will come in cheaper than any of Sky's packages.
You can also get a pole erected on the roof (bit like the aerial ones but longer) they may charge you xtra for that alternatively get a local to do that.

edit - ah you don't want to pay anymore, don't blame you
sky is a joke, they will not put disc up because of health and safety. had same problem a couple of years ago.They said i could get sky,but i bolded the disc to a tree and feed about 35-45 meteres of cable into box and got an independ to aline the disc, no problem got a signal.
I take it you're not in a cable area?
Mikey91

I take it you're not in a cable area?

yea... Is Virgin not an option?
It looks like a case of the Sky Monkeys couldn't be arsed to fit the dish, get an independent installer to install it, they will do a far better job.
Have your neighbours got Sky? If so, take a look at which direction the dish is pointing, and conclude whether a dish on your property pointing the same direction will have a clear line of sight.

Go back and query it with Sky.
Their contractors get paid a set amount per install .... it could be the contractor didn't want to spend too long on a tricky install
Looks like they just didn't want to do the job, get an independent to fit a dish and wire it to the living room, get sky to do the rest for free.
Lots of options for fitting a sky dish , or any other dish for that matter ,on the front of the house/flat , on the side of the house/flat or on the chimney stack .You can even mount the dish on a pole above the roof line as long as your pointing it in the right direction .I have fitted loads of them including motorised systems . I start off with a south facing wall .so get a compass ready , fit the dish/motor to 1* west [THOR] then work east to hotbird, astra etc .The sat you want for the sky stuff is located at 28.2* east . I fit Zone 2 dishes for this area [north east england]. Very easy to do ...................heres a site for a bit more info :

sam-radford.me.uk/ins…htm
Fit it yourself, wont take long at all.
Original Poster Banned
My immediate neighbour does not have sky. And the building opposite mine which do have Sky dishes also have a clear view of the satellite, unlike mine.

Sadly not in a cable area, so can't do much about it.

The first guy who came left within 5 minutes, saying they needed a special Sky team to do the install.

The next team (two people) came today and put their hands up too... saying the roof was not conducive for an install and that a jerry rig might be required etc.

How much should I be expecting to pay a local installer, roundabout.

Thanks for all the comments
in_deed

My immediate neighbour does not have sky. And the building opposite mine … My immediate neighbour does not have sky. And the building opposite mine which do have Sky dishes also have a clear view of the satellite, unlike mine.Sadly not in a cable area, so can't do much about it.The first guy who came left within 5 minutes, saying they needed a special Sky team to do the install.The next team (two people) came today and put their hands up too... saying the roof was not conducive for an install and that a jerry rig might be required etc. How much should I be expecting to pay a local installer, roundabout. Thanks for all the comments

That would depend on what is involved, but no more than £100 I would have thought.
What about a ground mount ? If for instance you had a big garden with no tall trees around and in line of site for the satellite you could use a ground mount . I've seen sky dishes on the ends of garden sheds , garden fences etc ..................it doesn't have to be on a house .
You may be able to buy something like Freesat Box and Installation which includes the installation of a dish?
5 years ago they the could have done it. I have mine high up on the side of the house was done 4 years ago. When we had a problem with the sky box end of last year the sky guy said that they wont touch that now due to health and safety the ladder having to be mounted. That was the only way they could get a signal if i had moved in now i wouldnt be having sky as its not allowed on the front of the house
techsearchuk

You may be able to buy something like Freesat Box and Installation which … You may be able to buy something like Freesat Box and Installation which includes the installation of a dish?

I had this put into a house I rent last month,
It's £80 using the £10 off code and it's a sky dish. - they even said if it was ever changed to sky+ they would just use the same dish.
Maybe a way for you to get it and have freesat in another room.
Or sell the box - they go for £50 on ebay
you are going to have to pay for a local installer, they only give the engineers 30 mins per visit, so anything out of the ordinary they are not allowed to touch, mine even moaned about having to drill through a internal wall, as he said they are not even allowed to do that
or, get freeview and download all her fav shows, as they appear on download sites as soon as they hit the screens

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions