Canon 100-400 lens mk i vs mk ii

Found 15th May
Hi everyone, i am going to buy canon 100-400 lens. Any advice whether to buy a used 1st gen for about £700 or to buy new 2nd genv from grey market for abot £1400.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskCanon
3 Comments
there aint' £700 worth of difference in it....

so, spin the question around

if you have £1400 right now to spend, is it worth buying the lens, knowing that in several years time, you could still sell it for around £1400 or so

Likewise with the £700 version....

Summary, buy what you have the budget for, lenses (grey market or not) hold their value

Just beware of importing a £1400 lens, that'll cost you £300 VAT and handling fees if it gets found by customs!

good prices you've gotten otherwise...

just watch that these really need a full frame, if you've a crop sensor, it's like walking around with a 150-600mm lens, way too long for day-day use!
Bleugh15th May

there aint' £700 worth of difference in it....so, spin the question …there aint' £700 worth of difference in it....so, spin the question aroundif you have £1400 right now to spend, is it worth buying the lens, knowing that in several years time, you could still sell it for around £1400 or soLikewise with the £700 version....Summary, buy what you have the budget for, lenses (grey market or not) hold their valueJust beware of importing a £1400 lens, that'll cost you £300 VAT and handling fees if it gets found by customs!good prices you've gotten otherwise...just watch that these really need a full frame, if you've a crop sensor, it's like walking around with a 150-600mm lens, way too long for day-day use!

Thanks a lot. This is for my 5d mk iii. I am thinking to go for a used 100-400 mk i so i can use the spare to get another used 16-35 f 2.8 mk ii for landscapes.
The early 100-400 used to have really bad zoom rings and would extend\creap if you had a slight forward lean, liken off a gantry or podium.

I never owned one as I needed 300 2.8 but if you can get a good used one they are a good around lens.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants