Groups

Canon 18-55mm upgrade idea?

Hi guys,

Quick query about lens upgrade. The kit lens (18-55mm) for my crop camera has recently lost its auto-focus - I think the repair cost out of warranty would probably not make much sense. So I'm looking for a replacement of sort. Not sure if there is a good value opportunity to upgrade here.

Would be useful if the replacement could have some amount of zoom (to complement the fixed lens 50mm 1.8 ). My friend will borrow it to do take photos of their eBay stuff (e.g. DVDs / books, they're willing to chip in a bit - so that helps) - they'll probably will use it more than me I think (can work with manual okay myself - though it's not idea). Will not need the reach of 15-85mm, and 17-40mm is outside the budget I think (not needing a full frame atm).

In terms of options - I would appreciate some ideas - another kit lens is the most likely option right? Just realised there are those 10-20mm lens (but really not sure if that's ideal indoors). Would appreciate some ideas.

12 Comments

Check out this chap on YouTube. Great reviews of lenses and changed my opinion on sticking with Canon lens when there are great alternatives out there to suit all budgets. Don't forget there is a Canon summer Caashback offer on as well for certain stuff.

You forgot to answer the million dollar question- what's your budget?

Have you had a look at the 17-55 f2.8? It's similar in price to the 17-40 though...

Original Poster

Sud38

Have you had a look at the 17-55 f2.8? It's similar in price to the 17-40 … Have you had a look at the 17-55 f2.8? It's similar in price to the 17-40 though...

Looking at the EF-S 17-55 now (friend has just suggested this too / said it was sharper, fixed 2.8 aperture, less distortion, less CA), definitely it's similar to 17-40 price as you mentioned (costly for a non-L); I will have a think (just trying to work out if I would get full frame at some point; crop sensors beyond 600D aren't as exciting - so getting it does slightly tracks one into Canon crop range). £50 vs £360.

If you're just looking for a general-purpose walkabout lens, you'd do well to pick up an 18-300mm (or thereabouts) superzoom. They're only a few hundred quid, and if range and price are priorities, they're solid options.

There are much better options out there if image quality, lens speed, or focus speed are more important to you, though.

Find a tamron 17-50mm
    Think it's the ao16 model which is super sharp
    Edited by: "snoopy18" 14th Jul

The same lens should be about £40/£50 on EBay. That's if you are happy with what you had.
    Why don't you use the old lens in manual?

Edited by: "Sambat" 16th Jul

Original Poster

Sambat

The same lens should be about £40/£50 on EBay. That's if you are happy w … The same lens should be about £40/£50 on EBay. That's if you are happy with what you had.Why don't you use the old lens in manual?

Have been using it on manual - take longer to take photos

Quicklite

Have been using it on manual - take longer to take photos

But you learn more in manual. There are some available on EBay and Gumtree if you are tight on budget though

Original Poster

Sambat

But you learn more in manual. There are some available on EBay and … But you learn more in manual. There are some available on EBay and Gumtree if you are tight on budget though

Good point. Decided probably will go economic option now - keep shooting manual (oO) - if really needed, get another kit or hand the camera down & upgrade to a 6D.

The best upgrade for you is a Nikon, sooner the better.

Original Poster

tempt

The best upgrade for you is a Nikon, sooner the better.

Looking for better noise performance / dynamic range. What's a decent stepup from 600D?

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      2. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?915
      4. Back to European satellite tv32

See more discussions