Canon flash

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Hi,

I have a Canon 60D DSLR and want to take photos outside at night, but want to try and make the person clearly visible.

I've never purchased a external flash for my DSLR, but think this might help, but have a couple of questions.

What distance do they light up the person? for example do you have to be within 1m of the person, or could this be several meters away as long as the flash is pointing their direction.

are they simple to setup and use?

can anyone recommend one for use with my Canon 60D?

what are the must haves?

are light panels any better?

I don't want to spend a major amount as unsure how often I would use it (maybe £100 max).

thanks to anyone who can help me
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
An external flash could get you considerably further flash distance. You’d be pushed to do better than Yongnuo flashes, they can be picked up for well less than your budget.

As for what to look for, if you want it just to work without having to think about it, look for one that has TTL, which is basically automatically set by the camera.

Have a read through this...

digital-photography-school.com/understand-flash-settings-ttl-manual/

Talk Photography’s Forum would be a good place to get lots of advice as well...

talkphotography.co.uk/for…ms/
Edited by: "Diggsy" 30th Dec 2019
Diggsy30/12/2019 22:42

An external flash could get you considerably further flash distance. You’d …An external flash could get you considerably further flash distance. You’d be pushed to do better than Yongnuo flashes, they can be picked up for well less than your budget.As for what to look for, if you want it just to work without having to think about it, look for one that has TTL, which is basically automatically set by the camera.Have a read through this...digital-photography-school.com/understand-flash-settings-ttl-manual/Talk Photography’s Forum would be a good place to get lots of advice as well...https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/

Thank you, I will have a look at this later tonight.

Do you think they would be alright for a couple meters of distance at night time or is that pushing how far they reach?

(I only have a 50mm prime lens and a 55-250mm one, as my 18mm lense has stopped auto focusing)
Edited by: "Bob24601" 31st Dec 2019
You should easily get considerably more than a few metres really. The built in flash should reach a couple of metres (probably begin to struggle quickly though), but an external flash most definitely will.

I have a Yongnuo flash (need to check the model) although my camera is relatively old now - 350d. If you like I can try at some point later to see how far it will realistically reach at night. I’d expect your camera to cope considerably better, even with the same flash.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 31st Dec 2019
Diggsy31/12/2019 17:58

You should easily get considerably more than a few metres really. The …You should easily get considerably more than a few metres really. The built in flash should reach a couple of metres (probably begin to struggle quickly though), but an external flash most definitely will.I have a Yongnuo flash (need to check the model) although my camera is relatively old now - 350d. If you like I can try at some point later to see how far it will realistically reach at night. I’d expect your camera to cope considerably better, even with the same flash.

Thank you, yes that would be great if you could have a go and let me know
Bob2460131/12/2019 19:05

Thank you, yes that would be great if you could have a go and let me know …Thank you, yes that would be great if you could have a go and let me know

I’ll probably have to charge my camera, but will have a nosey. How dark are you talking? Pitch dark or some ambient/street lighting etc?
Diggsy31/12/2019 19:06

I’ll probably have to charge my camera, but will have a nosey. How dark a …I’ll probably have to charge my camera, but will have a nosey. How dark are you talking? Pitch dark or some ambient/street lighting etc?

Well, i think I'm too late for what I wanted it for by the time I order (going to Longleat festival of lights on Saturday - trying to take pictures of my daughter in the lights) so there will be some light.

We also went there last week also and only took my mobile, the flash was not good enough to show my daughter clearly - haven't tried the DSLR inbuilt one (didn't take it with me) but assumed a proper flash might be better.

Even if I can't get one by the weekend, I'm still interested in getting one anyway for future use.
Bob2460131/12/2019 20:53

Well, i think I'm too late for what I wanted it for by the time I order …Well, i think I'm too late for what I wanted it for by the time I order (going to Longleat festival of lights on Saturday - trying to take pictures of my daughter in the lights) so there will be some light.We also went there last week also and only took my mobile, the flash was not good enough to show my daughter clearly - haven't tried the DSLR inbuilt one (didn't take it with me) but assumed a proper flash might be better.Even if I can't get one by the weekend, I'm still interested in getting one anyway for future use.

I managed to quickly test mine tonight and in relatively dark conditions, the flash easily lit a subject almost 10 metres away, making the image appear that it was taken in a fully lit area. The flash I have is the YN468, which has TTL.

Good luck getting sorted and getting the pics you’re hoping for. I’m sure you’ll manage it
This is an example of the problem I have (I have blacked out my daughters face for the purpose of uploaded photo) , but I would really like to make her more visible in the real picture, hence the idea of a flash gun.

As mentioned earlier, I'm currently stuck with a 50mm prime lens as my 18-55 has stopped auto focus (and I don't want to miss the focus by doing it manual), so will need to be a certain distance to get the same picture (several meters I guess)

39553897-TB70J.jpg
Diggsy31/12/2019 21:00

I managed to quickly test mine tonight and in relatively dark conditions, …I managed to quickly test mine tonight and in relatively dark conditions, the flash easily lit a subject almost 10 metres away, making the image appear that it was taken in a fully lit area. The flash I have is the YN468, which has TTL.Good luck getting sorted and getting the pics you’re hoping for. I’m sure you’ll manage it

Thank you very much for testing it, wow didn't realise that it would be 10m away so I think hopefully that should solve my problem.

Thanks for also giving me your model number I'll have a look and see what if I can get it in time.
Bob2460131/12/2019 21:11

Thank you very much for testing it, wow didn't realise that it would be … Thank you very much for testing it, wow didn't realise that it would be 10m away so I think hopefully that should solve my problem.Thanks for also giving me your model number I'll have a look and see what if I can get it in time.

You’re very welcome. I only did a very quick test using the 18-55 lens, which as I’m sure you know isn’t great, but hopefully gives you an idea.

It’s honestly worth taking the time to learn how to use the camera manually. I was able to use mine that way a few years back, but it took ages to learn it and I’ll be honest, the last few times I’ve used it, I stick with auto for the focusing reasons you mentioned, however the images that can be achieved manually are truly incredible!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants