Canon SLR lens advice?

ive got the 400D with standard lens and a portrait lens.

Does anyone have any advice for a "budget" lens that i can leave on the camera for most general situations? The guy in jessops suggested the 18-200 Canon lense with IS but i'm thinking i could get another brand without the IS. Will it make much of a difference?

any other lenses?

Thanks

11 Comments

My lens for most general situations is a Sigma 18-200mm OS (Sigma equivalent of IS) and i have had no problems with it. it is cheaper then the canon by about £100 from a quick google search. They also do a non OS/IS version of the same lens for about £150ish. The OS I have found is really useful for highspeed photos or low light. It also allows me to use a slow shutter speed to get a movement effect in cars, etc or to use a polarising filter in lower light conditions. It obviously doesn't live up to an L lens, but as a budget lens for general situations i would recommend it

There are plenty of pics taken with my Sigma 18-200mm OS on my flickr:
flickr.com/pho…79/ were all taken with the 18-200mm along with the vast majority of my other photos over the past 3 months since i bought it
flickr.com/pho…04/ is an exmple of where IS shouldn't have had much of an effect on the photo

Original Poster

Thanks, i'll take a look at that lens (and your photos)

All depends on what range your looking at, and how much you want to spend. I've recently been looking at this: camerapricebuster.co.uk/pro…tml which seems good for the money.

Banned

fazza;3653667

My lens for most general situations is a Sigma 18-200mm OS (Sigma … My lens for most general situations is a Sigma 18-200mm OS (Sigma equivalent of IS) and i have had no problems with it. it is cheaper then the canon by about £100 from a quick google search. They also do a non OS/IS version of the same lens for about £150ish. The OS I have found is really useful for highspeed photos or low light. It also allows me to use a slow shutter speed to get a movement effect in cars, etc or to use a polarising filter in lower light conditions. It obviously doesn't live up to an L lens, but as a budget lens for general situations i would recommend itThere are plenty of pics taken with my Sigma 18-200mm OS on my flickr:http://flickr.com/photos/farrowjames/sets/72157607774236179/ were all taken with the 18-200mm along with the vast majority of my other photos over the past 3 months since i bought ithttp://flickr.com/photos/farrowjames/2852170704/ is an exmple of where IS shouldn't have had much of an effect on the photo

What camera(s) did you use? Nice pics

I also have a 400d. Been thinking of getting another lens. I want eventually a telephoto zoom lens... been looking at the Sigma 18-200mm and Tamron 70-300mm, but think for now i may opt for the prime lens. Pretty cheap at £60-£70, and looks a lot sharper than the kit lens.

imranmaz;3699962

What camera(s) did you use? Nice pics

Think i was with a 20D looking at the tags in] this photo

Original Poster

I'm looking to spend about £200 max. Ive been watching the auctions and on a good day i can scrape a used Sigma 18-200mm with OS, just gotta keep trying. lol

Banned

Titchimp;3703185

I'm looking to spend about £200 max. Ive been watching the auctions and … I'm looking to spend about £200 max. Ive been watching the auctions and on a good day i can scrape a used Sigma 18-200mm with OS, just gotta keep trying. lol

do you regret getting the SLR?

I have a canon s5is as a stepping stone to an SLR... bought a compact for days that may be a little rough.

thinking of upgrading to an SLR in about a year and a half... any advice before I make the jump?

I've just got a sigma 17-70mm lens for my 350d and I've noticed a big difference.. Quality lens for around the £200 mark.. I got mine off the bay for £160..

]THIS is the one that was recommended by a few in the 'show us your photo's' thread..

Original Poster

imranmaz;3703214

do you regret getting the SLR?I have a canon s5is as a stepping stone to … do you regret getting the SLR?I have a canon s5is as a stepping stone to an SLR... bought a compact for days that may be a little rough.thinking of upgrading to an SLR in about a year and a half... any advice before I make the jump?

Not regretted it yet but then again i havnt had many chances to get good use out of it yet. Hopefully this year i will be able to travel a bit more and get some more use out of it.

ajay87;3700242

Think i was with a 20D looking at the tags in] this photo

Thanks and yes - 99% of my flickr photos are with my 20D. It is an amazing body and still gives the newer bodies a run for their money even though it is now quite old and costs a fraction of their price!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??34
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…33
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213599
    4. What an absolute disgrace2155

See more discussions