Can/should I make a claim ?

Banned 179
Found 9th Dec 2013
So I go to tesco & park in-between one of the trolley bays & a parked car.
I get my messages & come out of the store towards the car & place my messages on the back seat of the car.I then close the door & jump-in the drivers door.
I start the engine & look to my right & see a parked car & no cars moving from my right.I then look left & see that it's clear to go with no cars or people walking past.I then look right again as I go to move & then I hear the noise & crunch of my passenger door hitting something.
I get out & that's when I remembered I had parked in one of the parking spaces next to the trolley bay :-/
So I was not happy about what I done & raging with myself for forgetting I had parked near a trolley bay.
I then get back in my car & still can't see the poles from the trolley bay as they are around 3 foot high.
I then went got estimates & the damage is around £1100.
I went back to tesco tonight & noticed that the bars I hit had no rubber cone with the reflectors on it,but the other 3 parts to the trolley bay do have them.
I spoke to the assistant manager & he agreed that it should have a cone & that the ground showed it previously had one,but made it clear that customers park at their own risk & tesco's won't accept any claim.
Do you guys think I have a case or is the assistant manager correct ?
I'm the 2nd car on the right & so was turning left.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
179 Comments

Original Poster Banned

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w658/itwizznaemeitwizznaeme/IMG_0151_zpsdc36a122.jpg
Edited by: "ItWizzNaeMe" 9th Dec 2013

Banned

Learn to drive

So you hit a stationary object and you think Tesco are at fault?

Mod

You hit a stationary object so you are ultimately responsible. It's unfortunate but you'll either have to fork out the £1100 yourself or put a claim in on your car insurance.

messages ??

so you want to make a claim because you cant drive properly ?

No case at all as they have signs up stating you park at your own risk. Your driving and lack of concentration caused the damage at the end of the day.

You get messages from tesco? I'm lost.

Learn to drive and this wont happen.

Would you try and get compensation if you drove into a ditch because there wasn't a safety barrier?
Or if you hit a pedestrian because they weren't wearing lights and hi-vis stuff?

Original Poster Banned

Babbabooey

So you hit a stationary object and you think Tesco are at fault?

You maybe are correct,but I don't think having objects that are lower than a car window is safe for people to drive in.
Forgot to say that one of the trolley boys said a few people have hit it.

Banned

Is there a sign saying you park at your own risk?Usually supermarkets have these. If there is one then I don't think there is much you can do. I can only suggest contacting Citzens Advice , you could try the leaglebeagles forum legalbeagles.info/for…ms/ they are pretty awesome at giving advice.

If you tell CEX you though it was made of foam they will give you a free xbox.

If there had been bollards you would have knocked them down. Would you have gone and told them and offered to pay for them?

In Scotland "messages" = shopping

I worked at Asda many moons ago and we had these scaffolding like steel structures around each lamp post and I used to cry laughing at the letters every now and again trying to claim against the store for hitting them. We used to say well if they weren't there you would have brought the lamp post down on someone elses car

I could understand it if a trolley boy had caused it but it's a permanent stationary object, your fault chap i'm afraid. It's not an ideal layout but you chose to park there ultimately.

Original Poster Banned

My point is that if one of the posts has been removed then you have to ask why did/do they have posts in place for ?

its a lit carpark and you cannot see a bollard ... you mentioned you checked your mirrors ..clearly not or they were not adjusted correctly. the question is £1100 of damage either you are driving too hard or your car is really expensive ..But the question is what if that was a child you hit???

personally take it as a warning ---claim on the insurance sort your car out then look at the blind spots on your vehicle or your driving position something is clearly wrong.

Edited by: "wanderer" 9th Dec 2013

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OmPCv2pC3Ow/S7S7PYIm4mI/AAAAAAAABeM/A9ubrnTotjs/s1600/tesco1.jpg

Although in all fairness this is more apt......

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/incoming/article225845.ece/ALTERNATES/gallery-large/Should%27ve+gone+to+Specsavers

ItWizzNaeMe

My point is that if one of the posts has been removed then you have to … My point is that if one of the posts has been removed then you have to ask why did/do they have posts in place for ?

To stop bad drivers hitting the chrome railings LOL

Original Poster Banned

Rich44

I worked at Asda many moons ago and we had these scaffolding like steel … I worked at Asda many moons ago and we had these scaffolding like steel structures around each lamp post and I used to cry laughing at the letters every now and again trying to claim against the store for hitting them. We used to say well if they weren't there you would have brought the lamp post down on someone elses carI could understand it if a trolley boy had caused it but it's a permanent stationary object, your fault chap i'm afraid. It's not an ideal layout but you chose to park there ultimately.

Do asda choose to have trolleys in a shed like bay so that motorists can see them before driving away ?

ItWizzNaeMe

My point is that if one of the posts has been removed then you have to … My point is that if one of the posts has been removed then you have to ask why did/do they have posts in place for ?

Just admit it was your fault & deal with it. You can make no claim, you deserve no money & you should not repair your car but keep the dent there as a reminder that you should pay more attention when you are behind you wheel of a 2 tonne motorised piece of metal because that metal post could have been a kid.

SimonB2008

In Scotland "messages" = shopping

Just got 3 shoppings on my phone LOL

Original Poster Banned

submerged

To stop bad drivers hitting the chrome railings LOL

Or maybe,just maybe,so that drivers can see the cone from a drivers seat ???

submerged

Just got 3 shoppings on my phone LOL

just got a white candy flamedeer on this thread!

MESSAGES ????????????????

These replys have made my day, im going to go a drive in a ditch and claim a free xbox one

Some sarcastic comments here, i dont think the OP deserves to be belittled, they simply asking a question and as far as i can see, were only looking for advice..

OP sounds like your screwed, know how you feel, my mrs hit a speed bump and dislodged a coolant pipe, basically after 30 minutes the engine shut down and the engine had seized! £3000.00 repair (writeoff) but it wasnt anyones fault, in your case in future take more care, Tesco's by all rights should have made it clear it was a hazard but there T&C's for using the carpark over them against any damage.

You would of hit the post regardless of if there was a cover on it as you did not see it.

Your lucky if was not a young child.

I cant do with all this not taking responsibility for your own actions and blame someone else culture!!

ItWizzNaeMe

Or maybe,just maybe,so that drivers can see the cone from a drivers seat … Or maybe,just maybe,so that drivers can see the cone from a drivers seat ???

Just make a note of your surroundings when pulling into a car park space and check again before getting back in the car. Its not that hard really.

The op has a fair point, I have done the exact same with a post below the window line.

Very easy to do.

However it is not the fault of tesco. This is what you pay car insurance for.

Banned

haritori

my mrs hit a speed bump and dislodged a coolant pipe,

Bet that hurt

So you managed to reverse into the space without hitting anything but somehow its Tescos fault for hitting something on the way out? Oooooookay!

whatsThePoint

the strange thing is this is where the op parked and they still managed … the strange thing is this is where the op parked and they still managed to hit the post [img]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/916429/thumbs/o-A3Z1AZCAAEZNSR-570.jpg?2[/img]

That car was the only thing in the bay worth less than £1

DirectDeal

Bet that hurt

Hurt my wallet!

ItWizzNaeMe

You maybe are correct,but I don't think having objects that are lower … You maybe are correct,but I don't think having objects that are lower than a car window is safe for people to drive in.Forgot to say that one of the trolley boys said a few people have hit it.

What about high kerbs?

You are responsible for checking around the vehicle before getting in it, looking in all your mirrors and driving with due care and attention.
Edited by: "Mark2111" 9th Dec 2013

submerged

No case at all as they have signs up stating you park at your own risk. … No case at all as they have signs up stating you park at your own risk. Your driving and lack of concentration caused the damage at the end of the day.

Not saying op is due anything but pretty sure you can't just put up a sign to absolve all legal responsibility; they couldn't just put a sign up and be negligent in maintaining things like lamposts etc.

If something was to fall on a car due to them being negligent then I am sure they would be liable.

But yeah, op, you should have been looking really.

Mark2111

You are responsible for checking around the veggies before getting in it, … You are responsible for checking around the veggies before getting in it, looking in all your mirrors and driving with due care and attention.

Who are these veggies and what are they doing in the Tesco car park?

Original Poster Banned

RickT

You would of hit the post regardless of if there was a cover on it as you … You would of hit the post regardless of if there was a cover on it as you did not see it.Your lucky if was not a young child. I cant do with all this not taking responsibility for your own actions and blame someone else culture!!

I looked in my mirrors,but as said the barrier I hit is only about 3 foot tall & the barrier was not in view with my wing mirror.
The cone would have given me a warning & so I would have remembered I was parked near it.
I can understand the silly comments & it does sound like I was not watching what I was doing,but over 25 years of driving & first accident say's I'm a decent enough driver.
I was only taken-away as well at no more than 3-4 mph & so lucky it was not faster :-/
You can lots of different colours of paint & scrapes on this barrier & so that even backs-up my questioning & that the assistant manager agreed with me that the cone had been removed & he will request it be replaced asap.
It was actually my memory that's getting worse by the day that let me down as I would have remembered I was parked near the trolley bay.

ItWizzNaeMe

You maybe are correct,but I don't think having objects that are lower … You maybe are correct,but I don't think having objects that are lower than a car window is safe for people to drive in.Forgot to say that one of the trolley boys said a few people have hit it.

Most bollards and lots of other hazzards ie little people are below car window level!!

in answer to your question...

No you shouldn't try to make a claim, you don't have much of a case to be honest, sorry

Skyeblue

Most bollards and lots of other hazzards ie little people are below car … Most bollards and lots of other hazzards ie little people are below car window level!!

Should drive with the doors open then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions