Groups

cant access files even though i am logged in on an administrator account

basically, i need to access documents and settings on my friends laptop (running vista 32bit home) to delete a file related to an antivirus program that was installed on it, however, it was hidden and locked or something (cant remember now?) and now I have found it I cant access it, i get access denied when I click on it, and that file (among others) is paled out, if u know what i mean. The account im logged in under is an administrator account (as in the account is called the owners name and it says administrator underneath in user accounts) now from googling I have figured out that this isnt the same as being the actual administrator, but past that, I am totally confused as to what to do, I have tried a couple of instructions, got nowhere. please help, I would be immensly gratetful.

9 Comments

Which antivirus package is it that your trying to remove?

Original Poster

eset, in the instructions to remove it, it says there will be a hidden file in documents and settings that needs removing

tatemze

eset, in the instructions to remove it, it says there will be a hidden … eset, in the instructions to remove it, it says there will be a hidden file in documents and settings that needs removing

Which ESET product is it (Smart Security or NOD32 Antivirus) and also the version, as there are several instructions out there on the manufacturer's website.

Can you change the write permissions on the files?

Original Poster

it was nod antivirus, i have gone through the manual for removal and it said to not use add or remove programs, but to use its own installer, then to go into a couple of other folders and delete left behind files, one of which is said to be in documents and settings

tatemze

it was nod antivirus, i have gone through the manual for removal and it … it was nod antivirus, i have gone through the manual for removal and it said to not use add or remove programs, but to use its own installer, then to go into a couple of other folders and delete left behind files, one of which is said to be in documents and settings

Assuming that the software has been removed already, I would suggest rebooting the computer into Safe Mode and then deleting the necessary directories & files using the Administrator account or another account which has administrative privileges - that's your best bet IMHO, as any potential file locks should be removed in Safe Mode.

How do I uninstall or re-install ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? (3.0) - ESET Knowledgebase
    Embedded Link

How do I uninstall or reinstall ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? (4.x) - ESET Knowledgebase
    Embedded Link

Original Poster

oky doke, thanku

Not summat i have used, and, would be nervous to use unless i was incredibly desperate but seems there is some software called unlocker
    Might be a worth a go if you really need to get rid but use with caution and if post #6's help doesn't work

Edited by: "boydent999" 20th Jun 2011

tatemze

oky doke, thanku

No probs - give it a bash and please let us know how it goes.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2240
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions