Expired

Cant banks tell the difference between internet and "instore" purchases?

Found 8th Nov 2009
I find it weird in these days of huge internet businesses that the banks cant tell when a transaction is made by internet.

Im not having a go at lloyds tsb,I am happy that they are looking out for me but yesterday got a call from their anti fraud people(and yes,it was really them,cos I called them back) because on friday I paid for a new year holiday to disney paris and also bought some stuff from the bruce springsteen website.

They said that the fraud call had been triggered because "obviously I couldnt be in america and france at the same time"

Fair enough,I spose but dont you reckon they should be able to tell by now? disneyland paris website is hardly dodgy.

Like I said,not having a go,obviously I prefer they are protecting me but just seems weird that their system cant tell the difference between "being in france" and a web purchase.

9 Comments

did u call them back on a number you had got yourself or the one that they gave you when they phoned you??

Banned

banks are just more pro active in their checking these days and some transactions are more likely to be used in fraud from previous studies

carphone warehouse or mobile fones are another which are checked regulary

Original Poster

rosalie;6819202

did u call them back on a number you had got yourself or the one that … did u call them back on a number you had got yourself or the one that they gave you when they phoned you??

the number on the back of my card

The vendor (disneyland) just process the payment and have no means to inform the banks of how the payment was received. ie in person,phone, internet etc

Disneyland Paris again????

I'm gettin jealous xx

gym lougar;6819976

The vendor (disneyland) just process the payment and have no means to … The vendor (disneyland) just process the payment and have no means to inform the banks of how the payment was received. ie in person,phone, internet etc

Are you sure? I thought "cardholder not present" and PIN checked transactions were fairly separate?

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6820064

Disneyland Paris again????I'm gettin jealous xx

yep-gonna be there new years eve too,and its all a huge secret-mrs barky knows nothing!lol!

pghstochaj;6820107

Are you sure? I thought "cardholder not present" and PIN checked … Are you sure? I thought "cardholder not present" and PIN checked transactions were fairly separate?

That's right, but whoever disneyland use to collect payments (streamline,PDQ,cardnet etc) will auth the payment and pass the debit onto the bank for settlement. Therefore the bank is unaware of the origintion of the transaction ie internet,phone etc

barky;6820410

yep-gonna be there new years eve too,and its all a huge secret-mrs barky … yep-gonna be there new years eve too,and its all a huge secret-mrs barky knows nothing!lol!

oh wow!! Thats lovely!!

You do remember to Quidco that booking dont you!!

Hope you have a fantastic time xxxx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244916
    2. Add one, leave one game54415442
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604813
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226645

See more discussions