CANT CONNECT USB 3.0 EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO MY SONY TV

Banned 16
Found 9th Mar 2012
I recently bought Hitachi 2TB Touro DX3 Desktop Hard Drive (usb 3.0) for £79 and connected with my laptop transferred files on it. But when I am connecting this to my Sony TV (model KDL-40NX713) it is not showing anything, I am still able to use my usb 2.0 stick with Sony TV (model KDL-40NX713). But I bought this external hard drive only to connect with my tv to watch wtever I transferred. Any help!!!!

16 Comments

Banned

is the hard drive powered or are you assuming the usb from the tv is powered

Have you formatted the hard drive in the correct format??
I had similar problems with my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. Formatted it correctly and it was all sorted.

It may be that 2tb is too big a drive for the tv recognise
or something to do with the hard drive being NTFS and may need to be converted to FAT32.

I had a few questions when I bought my sony and found the sony online support very helpful
lots of faq's and option to email someone who will email back, try, sony.co.uk/sup…/en

Only problem with reformatting to FAT32 is your limited to the size so if your trying to watch an MKV file it will be too large and will not transfer onto your Hard Drive.

Original Poster Banned

fragaliciousbob

is the hard drive powered or are you assuming the usb from the tv is … is the hard drive powered or are you assuming the usb from the tv is powered

The hard drive comes with its adapter so it is powered on.

Original Poster Banned

lethalmoose

Have you formatted the hard drive in the correct format??I had similar … Have you formatted the hard drive in the correct format??I had similar problems with my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. Formatted it correctly and it was all sorted.

The hard drive came this morning and as I never use any external hard drive before, I have not idea that Should I format it or not, and if yes then in which format?

Original Poster Banned

PeteHerts

Only problem with reformatting to FAT32 is your limited to the size so if … Only problem with reformatting to FAT32 is your limited to the size so if your trying to watch an MKV file it will be too large and will not transfer onto your Hard Drive.

Could not understand formatting in FAT32 will create problem for sizing. As it is 2TB. How much will left if I format it in FAT32?

The USB 3.0 chipset your USB device is using is probably not compatible with the SONY.

Check for a firmware update for the TV, or take the drive out of the USB 3.0 caddy, and use a USB 2.0. Had the same problem, changing the caddy fixed it for me.

sweetwishis

Could not understand formatting in FAT32 will create problem for sizing. … Could not understand formatting in FAT32 will create problem for sizing. As it is 2TB. How much will left if I format it in FAT32?

You'll have to format the whole drive (1 partition) eg all 2tb of it around 1.81 TB) after format

Chiptivo

The USB 3.0 chipset your USB device is using is probably not compatible … The USB 3.0 chipset your USB device is using is probably not compatible with the SONY. Check for a firmware update for the TV, or take the drive out of the USB 3.0 caddy, and use a USB 2.0. Had the same problem, changing the caddy fixed it for me.

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. The extra pins are not used.

Only issue I can see is needing a format or if there is more than one partition.

Some Manufacturers also have the annoying habit of installing extra CDFS partitions which I had the pleasant job of diagnosing when a HDD exhibited the same symptoms as the OP.

Re backwards compatible, I was refering to the newer USB 3.0 chipset. The sony TV probably does not have the drivers for the chipset in use. 99% of USB 2.0 chipsets use a generic driver.

Good luck.. x

Original Poster Banned

Thanks everyone. The problem was the NTFS format. I formatted the hard drive into FAT32 and it works now, only showing 1.81TB. but glad that it is working perfectly fine.

Just remember to split anything over 4gb as thats the file size limit for fat32

dga

Split at the 4TB mark or buy a £25 Sumvision Cyclone somethingorother.

Is that a new model? I've got a basic Sumvision Cyclone Micro. Will have to look into the somethingorother.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants