Can't decide on which hammer drill to buy

Found 5th JunEdited by:"xPabloz"
After a failed attempt at using cheaper sds hammer drill to remove old paster and exteral render i've decided to spend some extra money on a proper tool.

I think i should buy corded hammer drill as it will work out cheaper overall but i'm not too sure. I have looked at few options but if i'm being honest i don't have much experience when it comes to buying tools so want other peoples advice/opinions. Here are few options i'm considering.

amazon.co.uk/Mak…31C

amazon.co.uk/Mak…Z0G

amazon.co.uk/Mak…AE8

powertoolworld.co.uk/mak…ase

Makita always get well praised on here hence why i only considered them. however if there are better alternatives please do tell me. Also it doesn't have to be from amazon.
Community Updates
19 Comments
Just incase you didn't notice the 2 battery drills are body only. I'd go for a corded SDS as your primary drill and maybe add a battery combi drill later.
If your doing this sort of job regularly then buy something man enough. If its just a one off go hire something powerful to download job. I got £50 mains sds and done loads with it and got my moneys worth out of it but for some jobs I just go hire good pro kit.
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Jun
Ive had, Makita, Metobo, Hilti, the last drill I bought was a over 20 years ago, a 24V Blue Bosch, the big heavy one, still in use today, with the same battery, never missed a beat.

there not cheap, but even second hand are worth buying.
wayners1 h, 13 m ago

If your doing this sort of job regularly then buy something man enough. If …If your doing this sort of job regularly then buy something man enough. If its just a one off go hire something powerful to download job. I got £50 mains sds and done loads with it and got my moneys worth out of it but for some jobs I just go hire good pro kit.

it is for one off use but hiring one is not relly worth imo unless its something big or really expensive to buy outright. also buying one also means i can use it later in future.
Chipping hammer is £27 a day to hire or £55 a week. I was looking at Hilti TE 500-AVR Breaker and some on ebay for £480. Some second hand to. Just makes the job easier. Guess it's not what you want though.
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Jun
Have a look on Screwfix or Toolstation, the Bosch I provided a link for will be fine.
The Screwfix Titan SDS drills are mad powerful and amazing for the money...heavy though

screwfix.com/p/t…533

Just read the reviews....
deleted1597344
Uridium47 m ago

The Screwfix Titan SDS drills are mad powerful and amazing for the …The Screwfix Titan SDS drills are mad powerful and amazing for the money...heavy thoughhttps://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-6-3kg-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/97533Just read the reviews....

I think the OP had the Titan and returned it due to issues, shame really it really is a great bit of kit for the money.
Uridium2 h, 14 m ago

The Screwfix Titan SDS drills are mad powerful and amazing for the …The Screwfix Titan SDS drills are mad powerful and amazing for the money...heavy thoughhttps://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-6-3kg-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/97533Just read the reviews....

it would have been amazing if it did work. both had same issue (hammer mode not working) so wasn't worth it. as someone mentioned sorting reviews by worst shows that is common issue with them.
deleted1597344
xPabloz6 h, 20 m ago

it would have been amazing if it did work. both had same issue (hammer …it would have been amazing if it did work. both had same issue (hammer mode not working) so wasn't worth it. as someone mentioned sorting reviews by worst shows that is common issue with them.

Buy another one (from a different store) I know quite a few people who have this drill including myself and have never had any issues with it. I’ve also used the hammer mode to chisel through a reinforced concrete floor.
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 6th Jun
xPabloz10 h, 50 m ago

it would have been amazing if it did work. both had same issue (hammer …it would have been amazing if it did work. both had same issue (hammer mode not working) so wasn't worth it. as someone mentioned sorting reviews by worst shows that is common issue with them.

Did you have the extra keyed chuck in at the time?

I discovered by accident that the Hammer function doesn't work on the Titan SDS with the optional keyed chuck . If you want to use Hammer you need to use an SDS bit.

should state this clearly in the instructions really......
Uridium1 h, 54 m ago

Did you have the extra keyed chuck in at the time?I discovered by accident …Did you have the extra keyed chuck in at the time?I discovered by accident that the Hammer function doesn't work on the Titan SDS with the optional keyed chuck . If you want to use Hammer you need to use an SDS bit.should state this clearly in the instructions really......

I followed the instructions so yes i did use the extra chuck that was provided. Maybe that may have been the issue all along.
Seriously? You put an sds chisel bit in a keyed chuck?

So when I asked if you'd fitted the bit correctly the answer was "No."
xPabloz5 h, 35 m ago

I followed the instructions so yes i did use the extra chuck that was …I followed the instructions so yes i did use the extra chuck that was provided. Maybe that may have been the issue all along.

An sds drill's pneumatic hammer action would eventually wreck a standard drill chuck, they probably made the sds chuck adaptor short to prevent standard masonry bits being used on hammer in it an d to reduce end float. They're usually only intended for wood bits and the like, can't imagine why you'd put a chisel in one.
Edited by: "melted" 6th Jun
xPabloz22 h, 7 m ago

it is for one off use but hiring one is not relly worth imo unless its …it is for one off use but hiring one is not relly worth imo unless its something big or really expensive to buy outright. also buying one also means i can use it later in future.

I think you need to make your mind up if its a one-off use or for later use, you contradict yourself..

If its a one-off, you'd be best to try the Titan from Screwfix again, use the SDS chisel in the SDS chuck and see how you get on..

If it's for use later, and your set against attempting the Titan for a 3rd time, then the Bosch one from screwfix linked or the 240v Makita HR2630 would certainly fit your needs, IF your looking to build a tool collection then consider the Makita LXT as you could use the batteries in other tools, bear in mind the ones you've linked do not include batteries..
Edited by: "andynicol" 6th Jun
andynicol1 h, 2 m ago

I think you need to make your mind up if its a one-off use or for later …I think you need to make your mind up if its a one-off use or for later use, you contradict yourself..If its a one-off, you'd be best to try the Titan from Screwfix again, use the SDS chisel in the SDS chuck and see how you get on..If it's for use later, and your set against attempting the Titan for a 3rd time, then the Bosch one from screwfix linked or the 240v Makita HR2630 would certainly fit your needs, IF your looking to build a tool collection then consider the Makita LXT as you could use the batteries in other tools, bear in mind the ones you've linked do not include batteries..

The bosch posted above is only about 1.6J impact, I would have thought a slightly beefier one would be better for removing external render(depending on how well it is attached), such as powertoolworld.co.uk/bos…BwE

Might even allow him to use a wider chisel , although the drill will probably be a bit heavier which is a disadvantage.
mas993 h, 6 m ago

Seriously? You put an sds chisel bit in a keyed chuck? So when I asked …Seriously? You put an sds chisel bit in a keyed chuck? So when I asked if you'd fitted the bit correctly the answer was "No."

My apologies, I don't even know why I did that, makes sense why it didn't work.
andynicol1 h, 7 m ago

I think you need to make your mind up if its a one-off use or for later …I think you need to make your mind up if its a one-off use or for later use, you contradict yourself..If its a one-off, you'd be best to try the Titan from Screwfix again, use the SDS chisel in the SDS chuck and see how you get on..If it's for use later, and your set against attempting the Titan for a 3rd time, then the Bosch one from screwfix linked or the 240v Makita HR2630 would certainly fit your needs, IF your looking to build a tool collection then consider the Makita LXT as you could use the batteries in other tools, bear in mind the ones you've linked do not include batteries..

I ended up getting makita from ebay mainly due to the 20% off. Also I think it was worth spending a little extra for something that i can use in the future.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants