Can't download attachment in gmail

Found 19th May
I haven't been able to download a PDF file attached to an email in my GMAIL so I wonder if the setting has been changed and I need to change it back or something?

I have been able to download the document to my google drive then download from google drive to my laptop but not directly from GMAIL.

Anyone know of a solution? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Download over Wi-fi only selected in settings so nothing happens if on data network? Checked download folder on phone as I sometimes I think it hasn't downloaded when it has..
Edited by: "wayners" 19th May
wayners5 m ago

Download over Wi-fi only selected in settings so nothing happens if on …Download over Wi-fi only selected in settings so nothing happens if on data network? Checked download folder on phone as I sometimes I think it hasn't downloaded when it has..

i am doing the download on my laptop so not through the app.
Email a pdf to yourself then download. Well see what happens
Open a mail.com account (free) and add your Gmail address to it. I've done this, but three Hotmail addresses and two gmail addresses connected. Just select the account you want to check the mail from a drop down menu. I have no issues with attachments.
Unable to do it isn't much of a description to go on, what happens when you try?
wayners4 h, 55 m ago

Email a pdf to yourself then download. Well see what happens

i emailed a pdf document to myself as a test as you had suggested and still same problem. when i click on the download button which appears above the document, nothing happens.

i emailed another email with 2 PDF attachments and still same problem, but oddly enough when you get an email with more than one attachment, there is another download button which appears in the far right corner, which states 'download all attachments'. when i click on that button it works, but obviously this button won't appear if i receive an email with only one attachment
You tried these?

Or try a different browser.
Edited by: "kos1c" 19th May
I don't know why your having this problem? Maybe antivirus is stopping the download..
wayners10 h, 37 m ago

I don't know why your having this problem? Maybe antivirus is stopping the …I don't know why your having this problem? Maybe antivirus is stopping the download..

this problem happened after i ran a smart scan on my laptop and updated the avast antivirus software, so you are probably right that it is the antivirus blocking the download.

i tried using internet explorer instead of chrome and when i click on the download button, a pop up appear to ask if i was sure i wanted to download the file. this pop up warning did not appear in chrome. my chrome is set to allow pop up so i don't know why chrome is not showing the pop up.
Your into the settings section of avast as it's doing its job to well and blocking a potential risk wrongly. Personally I dump avast and get windows defender free. It's good enough for home users but I don't want to get into which is best antivirus argument. Jmo and based on the many tech shows and security podcasts I listen to..
Edited by: "wayners" 20th May
wayners7 m ago

Your into the settings section of avast as it's doing its job to well and …Your into the settings section of avast as it's doing its job to well and blocking a potential risk wrongly. Personally I dump avast and get windows defender free. It's good enough for home users but I don't want to get into which is best antivirus argument. Jmo and based on the many tech shows and security podcasts I listen to..

i am uncertain if it is avast as i can download using internet explorer on the same laptop. it may be a problem with chrome. i uninstalled and re-install chrome on my laptop but still same problem. i can download attachment fine on the gmail app on my phone.
If you turn avast off and try and download pdf with chrome dose it work?
wayners1 h, 39 m ago

If you turn avast off and try and download pdf with chrome dose it work?

i think i have narrowed down the issue to be the chrome browser as uninstalling avast still had the same problem and i can download using internet explorer browser.

i can download multiple PDF files in chrome but not if the email only has one file. it may a new bug, which may resolve itself sooner or later but until then, i will need to save to google drive then download from there to my laptop. what a blooming pain.

i don't like internet explorer and much prefer chrome.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants