Can't find a phone that ticks all my boxes...

Posted 4th Aug 2020
I've got a Galaxy S9, and I've never been entirely happy with it.

Main reasons are:
Lack of space
Battery seems pretty naff
Severe screen burn from Waze

I keep seeing phone deals pop up, and I keep getting tempted to pull the trigger on something new, but, I can't find anything that seems to tick ALL my boxes. Am I missing the perfect answer?

I'm after the following:
Good battery life
Good storage capacity
Wireless charging

Given that the S9 has disappointed me, I'm trying to avoid the flagship phones, but it seems that the OnePlus Nord doesn't have wireless charging, and the battery life doesn't appear to be great, although it seems pretty ideal in most other ways.

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Go in a shop have a look or google best phones for the reasons above..

best pointer is don’t be so fussy it’s a phone buy it, use it, replace it sooner than later. With cloud storage how much memory do you really need, same as battery life most modern phones last the day before charging if they don’t your on it to much..
The S9 has expandable storage, a memory card should sort you out. And the phone has been around for 2 years, battery life is expected to be degraded, especially since you heavily use Waze.
Tbh, you'll need a phone with an LCD screen as you'll get screen burn-in from any OLED phone with your type of usage. I can't think of any flagship phones released in the last couple of years that have an LCD screen, you probably need to look at mid-range phones
Love my s9
Huawei Mate 20 Pro

If you can get it for a decent price, it's great.
Solid battery, great cameras, 128GB storage, (additional 128GB NM Card costs circa £35), Wireless charging including reverse wireless charging.
What is your budget though?
LG v50 has been excellent for me so far.
I’ll sell you my mint condition s8 box and contents included
Corkscrew04/08/2020 13:23

The S9 has expandable storage, a memory card should sort you out. And the …The S9 has expandable storage, a memory card should sort you out. And the phone has been around for 2 years, battery life is expected to be degraded, especially since you heavily use Waze.Tbh, you'll need a phone with an LCD screen as you'll get screen burn-in from any OLED phone with your type of usage. I can't think of any flagship phones released in the last couple of years that have an LCD screen, you probably need to look at mid-range phones

As what above says. Also if you using Waze alot, any app always using GPS to this extent will drain battery or possibly worse you will have it always on charge while using in car/van. I would really advise getting a stand alone GPS device.Same with screen burn.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 4th Aug
Bargainhead04/08/2020 13:13

Go in a shop have a look or google best phones for the reasons above.. …Go in a shop have a look or google best phones for the reasons above.. best pointer is don’t be so fussy it’s a phone buy it, use it, replace it sooner than later. With cloud storage how much memory do you really need, same as battery life most modern phones last the day before charging if they don’t your on it to much..

I've had a Google, but that's where I gave up finding something that would tick all the right boxes. I figured I was perhaps missing something obvious.
Corkscrew04/08/2020 13:23

The S9 has expandable storage, a memory card should sort you out. And the …The S9 has expandable storage, a memory card should sort you out. And the phone has been around for 2 years, battery life is expected to be degraded, especially since you heavily use Waze.Tbh, you'll need a phone with an LCD screen as you'll get screen burn-in from any OLED phone with your type of usage. I can't think of any flagship phones released in the last couple of years that have an LCD screen, you probably need to look at mid-range phones

The problem with the storage isn't the expandable storage, it's installing apps on the phone itself. Yes, I have a lot, but I use a lot of apps for various reasons. I have to repeatedly move them to the SD card, then, when they update, they move back to the phone storage.

This clearly isn't helping the battery life, and I'm tired of having to move everything to the SD card all the time.

So, additional internal storage is a must.

Thanks for the LCD pointer. I'm open to midrange phones. But, I can't find any that tick all my boxes. It's ridiculous that the flagship phones suffer so badly with screen burn.
spruceyb04/08/2020 13:35

Huawei Mate 20 ProIf you can get it for a decent price, it's great.Solid …Huawei Mate 20 ProIf you can get it for a decent price, it's great.Solid battery, great cameras, 128GB storage, (additional 128GB NM Card costs circa £35), Wireless charging including reverse wireless charging.

Is it not Huawei that have an issue with Google? If so, what is likely to be the outcome with that? I use Play Store all the time, so it's kind of essential for me.
D3LL80Y04/08/2020 13:37

What is your budget though?

Ideally I don't really want to spend ridiculous amounts.

I don't need anything stupidly fast, I also don't need a fancy screen, or a fancy camera.

I essentially just want a powerhouse that runs well, but with storage and battery life as the main priorities.
cecilmcroberts04/08/2020 14:22

As what above says. Also if you using Waze alot, any app always using GPS …As what above says. Also if you using Waze alot, any app always using GPS to this extent will drain battery or possibly worse you will have it always on charge while using in car/van. I would really advise getting a stand alone GPS device.Same with screen burn.

It's not 1995. Surely I should be able to use my phone for GPS, since it's integrated into its features?

Waze has far superior traffic updates to any standalone device, along with their ridiculous subscription fees.
bildo04/08/2020 14:54

It's not 1995. Surely I should be able to use my phone for GPS, since it's …It's not 1995. Surely I should be able to use my phone for GPS, since it's integrated into its features? Waze has far superior traffic updates to any standalone device, along with their ridiculous subscription fees.

Not for long or very frequent periods. Otherwise cars wouldnt still be putting Satnav,Android Auto or CarPlay in them. I can use Waze on mine via Android Auto but the car is displaying it from my phone not the phone screen.
Nokia 8.3 5G has an IPS display and will be available September with 128gb internal storage and a decent battery. Similar with the Moto g 5g plus. No wireless charging for either though.
Edited by: "RadiantDuck" 4th Aug
I would try Motorola's phones, their top end is still budget friendly and has an lcd screen i think. Also their battery life should be decent.
Moto G8 Power has a massive battery. Storage is only 64GB tho
bildo04/08/2020 14:50

The problem with the storage isn't the expandable storage, it's installing …The problem with the storage isn't the expandable storage, it's installing apps on the phone itself. Yes, I have a lot, but I use a lot of apps for various reasons. I have to repeatedly move them to the SD card, then, when they update, they move back to the phone storage.This clearly isn't helping the battery life, and I'm tired of having to move everything to the SD card all the time.So, additional internal storage is a must.Thanks for the LCD pointer. I'm open to midrange phones. But, I can't find any that tick all my boxes. It's ridiculous that the flagship phones suffer so badly with screen burn.

I never knew that about apps being moved to internal after updating. I can see why from a security perspective, but is proper annoying.
bildo04/08/2020 14:48

I've had a Google, but that's where I gave up finding something that would …I've had a Google, but that's where I gave up finding something that would tick all the right boxes. I figured I was perhaps missing something obvious.

Go in phone shop..that’s what they there for, they’ll answer your questions. Picking a phone isn’t hard unless your looking for problems all the time..
bildo04/08/2020 14:51

Is it not Huawei that have an issue with Google? If so, what is likely to …Is it not Huawei that have an issue with Google? If so, what is likely to be the outcome with that? I use Play Store all the time, so it's kind of essential for me.

Lack of Google Services is only on newer phones after the trade ban so Mate 30 and P40 series.

Mate 20 Pro has all that good Google stuff and has updated to Android 10.
bildo04/08/2020 14:50

The problem with the storage isn't the expandable storage, it's installing …The problem with the storage isn't the expandable storage, it's installing apps on the phone itself. Yes, I have a lot, but I use a lot of apps for various reasons. I have to repeatedly move them to the SD card, then, when they update, they move back to the phone storage.This clearly isn't helping the battery life, and I'm tired of having to move everything to the SD card all the time.So, additional internal storage is a must.Thanks for the LCD pointer. I'm open to midrange phones. But, I can't find any that tick all my boxes. It's ridiculous that the flagship phones suffer so badly with screen burn.

Since android 6.0 most device support adaptable storage, when a storage card is placed it will ask to adopt or just use as storage. If you adopt the device sees it all as one lump of memory. This stops that issue, although Samsung devices blocked this function. One reason was people putting cheap cards in with slow speeds, the device will then only write to all memory at that speed and people then moaned the devices slowed down, not understanding it was themselves who caused this.

Is it not Huawei that have an issue with Google? If so, what is likely to …Is it not Huawei that have an issue with Google? If so, what is likely to be the outcome with that? I use Play Store all the time, so it's kind of essential for me.

Depends how you want to argue it - It's more the US Government / Trump have an issue with Huawei rather than Huawei having an issue with Google. But older phones are OK, newer phones don't have Play Store and services. Though, Huawei are re-releasing phones in new cases and storage configs to get round it a bit as well.

Huawei have the issue with storage aswell, you can't store any apps on SD card so I would avoid.
Doogee S68 Pro could fit the bill, shipped from Spain at Banggood but their links are banned here.

128GB storage, wireless charging and a massive battery. IPS screen too, no burn in.
There are no "perfect" phones, you just have to compromise and buy phones that has "most", not all, features that are important to you.
Post a comment
@
    Text