Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can’t get insurance on new vehicle

Posted 17th Mar
Hi All - I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced issues with getting insurance on a newly registered car?

I’ve literally had a new 20 reg lease car delivered to my house today (Regret this now with what’s happening ha!)... however I’ve rang my insurance company (Hastings) and they’re refusing to insure it as they can’t find it on the system... Not with the reg and couldn’t do it manually...

DVLA saying it’s registered on their end, and so is the leasing company... apparently insurance companies refresh databases monthly... but I don’t fancy waiting 2 weeks to insure it!

Anyone had any similar issues? Tried ringing another insurance company but was demented with being on hold so hung up... not sure if I’m going to run into the same issue elsewhere.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
They should be able to temporarily insure using the vin until the car shows on the db
17 Comments
Not sure if this will help but maybe typing the number plate into a number plate checking app may show the source of the problem. Eg. The car isnt registered
OllieSt17/03/2020 21:28

Have you tried Gocompare & comparethemarket

Putting the reg into these sites also doesn’t pull the car details... you have to enter them in manually... which is where I was hitting a brick wall with my insurance company
They should be able to temporarily insure using the vin until the car shows on the db
a666andy17/03/2020 21:30

They should be able to temporarily insure using the vin until the car …They should be able to temporarily insure using the vin until the car shows on the db

That’s what the leasing company said but they said no...

deals6917/03/2020 21:29

Not sure if this will help but maybe typing the number plate into a number …Not sure if this will help but maybe typing the number plate into a number plate checking app may show the source of the problem. Eg. The car isnt registered

It’s registered... already spoke to the DVLA
Classic computer says no situation .
jackfreemanwkd17/03/2020 21:31

That’s what the leasing company said but they said no...It’s registered... …That’s what the leasing company said but they said no...It’s registered... already spoke to the DVLA

Worth a try
jackfreemanwkd17/03/2020 21:30

Putting the reg into these sites also doesn’t pull the car details... you h …Putting the reg into these sites also doesn’t pull the car details... you have to enter them in manually... which is where I was hitting a brick wall with my insurance company

The company I've been with for several years now are able to take the details manually. I normally ring them up before ordering the car to get an idea of the price, they look it up manually, then nearer to the time I ring them with the date and reg details once I've picked the reg and the garage has the VIN number produced from the production line. Then on the day of handover I ring them while standing on the forecourt to swap over. 9 years now with them and been unable to find anyone cheaper each time, though buying not leasing (if that makes any difference) and 4 cars in that period, though always an Alfa and maybe they just cheap for them for whatever reason!
P.S They used to be called Chaucer Direct. Also the MID system does allow manual entries, often in work the reg doesn't pull up any details when we adding trucks, but it is a pain entering the zillion details they ask for.

geoffreyinsurance.com/
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 17th Mar
dezbo888817/03/2020 21:32

Classic computer says no situation .

reminds me of the time at the office when we had a really urgent project to deliver and so everyone in the company was asked to come in and work over the weekends but they couldn't get the system to work on the weekends as it had been designed not to do so, including public holidays, lol lazy IT systems!
First thing i would be doing is putting a steering lock or clamp on it, if its gone in the morning and you have no insurance you'll owe them the full cost of the car
We used direct line when we bought brand new car and wasn't an issue just told them spec of the car and the reg number. It took a couple of weeks before the reg appeared on the gov website to check if taxed but had no problems getting it insured straight away.
Hastings are one of the worst to go with. At least 10 of my friends and family have had some kind of issue with them including myself. Honestly wouldn't touch them, plenty other companys out there to try
Try ringing again you might get a more competent person on the other end
Toon_army18/03/2020 01:51

Hastings are one of the worst to go with. At least 10 of my friends and …Hastings are one of the worst to go with. At least 10 of my friends and family have had some kind of issue with them including myself. Honestly wouldn't touch them, plenty other companys out there to try

Strange. I've used them for a few years and had no problems. Had a no fault claim last year and they were flawless. Sub £300 for a group 25 car, fully comp, protected no claims and free RAC cover
Hacked18/03/2020 05:56

Strange. I've used them for a few years and had no problems. Had a no …Strange. I've used them for a few years and had no problems. Had a no fault claim last year and they were flawless. Sub £300 for a group 25 car, fully comp, protected no claims and free RAC cover

Me too, Never a problem. Made a no fault claim and they were great.
cecilmcroberts17/03/2020 21:40

The company I've been with for several years now are able to take the …The company I've been with for several years now are able to take the details manually. I normally ring them up before ordering the car to get an idea of the price, they look it up manually, then nearer to the time I ring them with the date and reg details once I've picked the reg and the garage has the VIN number produced from the production line. Then on the day of handover I ring them while standing on the forecourt to swap over. 9 years now with them and been unable to find anyone cheaper each time, though buying not leasing (if that makes any difference) and 4 cars in that period, though always an Alfa and maybe they just cheap for them for whatever reason! P.S They used to be called Chaucer Direct. Also the MID system does allow manual entries, often in work the reg doesn't pull up any details when we adding trucks, but it is a pain entering the zillion details they ask for. https://www.geoffreyinsurance.com/

I’m with these never had an issue. Found them on go compare they were literally half the price of any other company x
Hacked18/03/2020 05:56

Strange. I've used them for a few years and had no problems. Had a no …Strange. I've used them for a few years and had no problems. Had a no fault claim last year and they were flawless. Sub £300 for a group 25 car, fully comp, protected no claims and free RAC cover

I was only paying £320 for a group 40 car with my current insurance company Sky, really good compared to other places. Hastings just isn't a place I'd use again, everybody's going to have different experiences
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants