Can't link windows 10 to my android phone

Found 14th Dec 2017
I want to link my phone to my laptop which is running windows 10. One of the new feature of windows 10 is to allow 'continue to PC' feature from your android phone.

When I go to settings on my laptop and choose Link your Android phone, it asks me to log into Microsoft and the Add phone button is grayed out. When I click on sign in with microsoft it takes me to email and app accounts section for me to add an account.

I added my google account and then still same problem when I go back to add phone option as the add phone button continues to be grayed out.

When windows 10 got updated recently, it asked me to link to my phone and said that it would send a text to my phone to start the process, but I was worried about security and didn't see the point of this feature at that time, so I dismissed it. However, now I can't seem to get it to link.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Original Poster
maddogb22 m ago

this any …this any help?https://fossbytes.com/connect-phone-windows-10-sync-android-ios/

i have seen that link but still cant get the add phone button to do anything
mutley113 m ago

i have seen that link but still cant get the add phone button to do …i have seen that link but still cant get the add phone button to do anything

maybe something simple like the phone is losing the signal and can't stay signed into cortana app?
Original Poster
maddogb11 m ago

maybe something simple like the phone is losing the signal and can't stay …maybe something simple like the phone is losing the signal and can't stay signed into cortana app?

i have got it working now. i had to sign into my microsoft account on my laptop before it would allow me to link the phone. this is because it wants to protect the connection and doesn't want to allow other people to access your linked phone on your laptop without a secure login.

i was logged into my laptop through windows and not my microsoft account, so it didn't work. it was not clear from the instructions that i needed to do this as when i click on sign into microsoft account, it went off to the wrong section about adding email accounts to my laptop!

i am confused about the cortana app as i don't have it on my android phone and it still works, but only through microsoft edge. i have the facility to continue to my laptop, which looks really good from ms edge. but it also claims i can do this with apps on my phone, but there is no such option for other apps on my phone?
The whole process of what your trying to do can be a bit painfull and hit and miss IMHO.

Cant help with your problem, but if your just trying to do for the Web Page sync, then just use Google , Opera etc on both machines and use the sync facility, works well.

If your doing it for other reasons ie, Incoming Calls, Text alert, Mobile Status, etc, then use MyPhoneExplorer for Android and PC App works a charm and does a lot more like Phone Back Up, move Pics, Vidoes Files etc.
mutley110 m ago

i have got it working now. i had to sign into my microsoft account on my …i have got it working now. i had to sign into my microsoft account on my laptop before it would allow me to link the phone. this is because it wants to protect the connection and doesn't want to allow other people to access your linked phone on your laptop without a secure login.i was logged into my laptop through windows and not my microsoft account, so it didn't work. it was not clear from the instructions that i needed to do this as when i click on sign into microsoft account, it went off to the wrong section about adding email accounts to my laptop!i am confused about the cortana app as i don't have it on my android phone and it still works, but only through microsoft edge. i have the facility to continue to my laptop, which looks really good from ms edge. but it also claims i can do this with apps on my phone, but there is no such option for other apps on my phone?

you wont be able to use android apps on your phone that will continue on to a PC unless windows has that app in the store and they have built in sync e.g wunderlist
Edited by: "chocci" 14th Dec 2017
mutley143 m ago

i have got it working now. i had to sign into my microsoft account on my …i have got it working now. i had to sign into my microsoft account on my laptop before it would allow me to link the phone. this is because it wants to protect the connection and doesn't want to allow other people to access your linked phone on your laptop without a secure login.i was logged into my laptop through windows and not my microsoft account, so it didn't work. it was not clear from the instructions that i needed to do this as when i click on sign into microsoft account, it went off to the wrong section about adding email accounts to my laptop!i am confused about the cortana app as i don't have it on my android phone and it still works, but only through microsoft edge. i have the facility to continue to my laptop, which looks really good from ms edge. but it also claims i can do this with apps on my phone, but there is no such option for other apps on my phone?

lol i considered it to be so obvious that it would be patronising to mention the cortana app is maybe not necessary if you are signed in via a web page as it is primarily a cloud feature but i am sure adding it to the phone will give extra features that benefit ms if no one else

as chocci says the apps would have to have both windows and android counterparts to facilitate the "continuation"
Original Poster
chocci2 h, 0 m ago

you wont be able to use android apps on your phone that will continue on …you wont be able to use android apps on your phone that will continue on to a PC unless windows has that app in the store and they have built in sync e.g wunderlist

yeah. i guessed as much as i got the ms edge from a text message to say that it is the first app to be added to my phone for the new feature.

doesnt sound a greatly useful feature yet until android apps start to include this continue to pc feature.
Original Poster
maddogb1 h, 29 m ago

lol i considered it to be so obvious that it would be patronising to …lol i considered it to be so obvious that it would be patronising to mention the cortana app is maybe not necessary if you are signed in via a web page as it is primarily a cloud feature but i am sure adding it to the phone will give extra features that benefit ms if no one else :Das chocci says the apps would have to have both windows and android counterparts to facilitate the "continuation"

the problem was with the log into microsoft button on my laptop. when i click it, it should take me to the microsoft login page but it went to the add email to windows section. it is confusing as windows logon is not the same as microsoft logon!
mutley128 m ago

the problem was with the log into microsoft button on my laptop. when i …the problem was with the log into microsoft button on my laptop. when i click it, it should take me to the microsoft login page but it went to the add email to windows section. it is confusing as windows logon is not the same as microsoft logon!

it was introduced in windows 8 where the two could be combined, this is offered as an option on first use but most people choose then forget.
Original Poster
zirk8 h, 0 m ago

The whole process of what your trying to do can be a bit painfull and hit …The whole process of what your trying to do can be a bit painfull and hit and miss IMHO.Cant help with your problem, but if your just trying to do for the Web Page sync, then just use Google , Opera etc on both machines and use the sync facility, works well.If your doing it for other reasons ie, Incoming Calls, Text alert, Mobile Status, etc, then use MyPhoneExplorer for Android and PC App works a charm and does a lot more like Phone Back Up, move Pics, Vidoes Files etc.

I want to see what is playing on my phone on my telly, so tv casting my phone. I found android app that casts to my smart tv, so works well if i am playing a video through a web page. Now i need to cast videos from android apps to the tv. I wonder if it is possible without chromecast device.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions