Can't open my safe

Found 24th Jun 2012
I have one of those crappy safe from Argos. One that has both a digital number pad or a key to override.

Not my day today as everything has gone wrong and now I find I can't open the safe. The key turns but the door does not open and I can't remember the combination but even if I did, the battery aren't strong enough for the combination to operate the mechanical lock.

Any suggestion?
Community Updates
Misc
61 Comments
c4 !!!
Think before you buy junk from Argos!
1 Hammer + 1 Chisel = 1 open toy safe.

/thread.
Original Poster
transit

1 Hammer + 1 Chisel = 1 open toy safe./thread.

do you think they are easily opened with a hammer and chisel?
mutley1

do you think they are easily opened with a hammer and chisel?

Without doubt.
Original Poster
transit

Without doubt.

good to hear this. i will try this as a last resort.

i am thinking of dropping it from a great height. do you think that would break it open?
mutley1

good to hear this. i will try this as a last resort.i am thinking of … good to hear this. i will try this as a last resort.i am thinking of dropping it from a great height. do you think that would break it open?

Another easy way is to drill it using a 51mm holesaw.......
Original Poster
transit

Another easy way is to drill it using a 51mm holesaw.......

this sounds a bit complicated as i would need to know exactly where to drill. i think you would have to be very precise else you could end up with a safe that is not water tight but one that still doesn't open.
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Think before you buy junk from Argos!

i think argos is great. i have bought loads of stuff from them and they are fine.
except this one of course.
Banned
Get stuck in....

http://www.arcdesignsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Welder-011.jpg
mutley1

this sounds a bit complicated as i would need to know exactly where to … this sounds a bit complicated as i would need to know exactly where to drill. i think you would have to be very precise else you could end up with a safe that is not water tight but one that still doesn't open.

Lol , you drill the hole in the top- 51mm is just enough to get your fingers in, you then throw the piece of junk in the bin.
Original Poster
transit

Lol , you drill the hole in the top- 51mm is just enough to get your … Lol , you drill the hole in the top- 51mm is just enough to get your fingers in, you then throw the piece of junk in the bin.

ah, this makes more sense.
it's just that i saw a program about a safe cracker once and he drills very precisely into the lock mechanism to open any safe. thought you were referring to that.
Original Poster
csamual

c4 !!!

what's c4?
Does this help?

Link
mutley1

ah, this makes more sense.it's just that i saw a program about a safe … ah, this makes more sense.it's just that i saw a program about a safe cracker once and he drills very precisely into the lock mechanism to open any safe. thought you were referring to that.

Nah, you dont need the services of a safecracker for Argos stuff. X)
Original Poster
transit

Nah, you dont need the services of a safecracker for Argos stuff. X)

it may be just as well to buy argos stuff as i can break them apart quite easily when it goes wrong, like now. X)
Original Poster
simplex

PM this member for tips and general help

i don't get this joke. oO
Banned
mutley1

what's c4?

channel4.com/
deleted265520
mutley1

i don't get this joke. oO

You've been a member of misk long enough to understand this...
Drilling is the best option - although quite why the key doesnt work confuses me.
Original Poster
dtovey89

You've been a member of misk long enough to understand this...

i am not even familiar with who he is. i have the impression that people don't like him but i have not read many things from him to come to a conclusion.

his 3% aqua credit card post was great as i applied for me and me other half reading that post.
Original Poster
crow99

Drilling is the best option - although quite why the key doesnt work … Drilling is the best option - although quite why the key doesnt work confuses me.

the key should work unless the digital combination is blocking it.
i wish i had kept the argos receipt as i could bring it back to them and demand they arrange for someone to open it as it is obviously not fit for purpose.
This exact thing happened to me. A cheap £30 quid safe from Argos, batteries were out, key turned but did not work. I dropped it out window (2 stories high) but it didnt work. In the end I drilled through it a few times. Anyway.. eventually the top just fell off!
Original Poster
marvellous

Does this help?Link

is this for real?
that safe is exactly the same as the one i have.
i may try some of those tricks if they are legit.
Original Poster
GentleTouch

This exact thing happened to me. A cheap £30 quid safe from Argos, … This exact thing happened to me. A cheap £30 quid safe from Argos, batteries were out, key turned but did not work. I dropped it out window (2 stories high) but it didnt work. In the end I drilled through it a few times. Anyway.. eventually the top just fell off!

within the last few days the key did not open the safe but if you turned it several times whilst turning the door lock sooner or later the door opened.

so i thought it may just be a knack and continued using it. should have realised it was time for the scrap heap. i've been trying for the last half hour without success.
try the potato
The key should override the combination code - basically its just there for ease, if those tricks work then even for a home safe its pretty poor! Hoping its more a fireproof keep kids away thing - otherwise no safe is worth it unless its bolted down...
Original Poster
Little Munchkin

try the potato

if that video was legit, it looks like a sudden impact on the top of the door lock is enough to losen it.
this means a chisel or a small hammer would be better to apply the impact than a potato.
mutley1

if that video was legit, it looks like a sudden impact on the top of the … if that video was legit, it looks like a sudden impact on the top of the door lock is enough to losen it.this means a chisel or a small hammer would be better to apply the impact than a potato.

The potato won't damage it and makes for a much better anecdote afterwards lol
What you need is an incredibly fat person to stand on the safe and it will pop open due to the stress.
Original Poster
Little Munchkin

The potato won't damage it and makes for a much better anecdote … The potato won't damage it and makes for a much better anecdote afterwards lol

i don't have a potato but i have a banana which i may try. should have the same impact methinks.
Original Poster
NUMBER8GAMESTER

What you need is an incredibly fat person to stand on the safe and it … What you need is an incredibly fat person to stand on the safe and it will pop open due to the stress.

it may just get flattened with the door still closed.
at least if it's flattened it won't take up so much space anymore while it's holding your valuables against your will.
Edited by: "NUMBER8GAMESTER" 24th Jun 2012
mutley1

is this for real?that safe is exactly the same as the one i have.i may … is this for real?that safe is exactly the same as the one i have.i may try some of those tricks if they are legit.

Maybe I've been duped but this video shows how it works.

Link
What do you have inside?
Banned
if you hold the safe so the door is hanging down, facing the ground this will make it easier.

Had this problem with the safe leant back. Wouldn't open when batteries were shot.
Banned
Take it to your nearest gypsy encampment.

Procure the services of a loveable tinker who will open the safe before you can say, " lucky heather".

did my mums with one hit of a sledge hammer
hinges just snapped
How much did the safe cost you Mutley?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions